Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice on immunisations

Advice on immunisations

Old Oct 15th 2015, 10:36 am
Just Joined

fazza16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Advice on immunisations

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on immunisations? I was wondering if it was worthwhile, either financially and hassle wise, getting any extra immunisations we might need done here in the UK prior to emigrating.

Does anyone know what, if any vaccines we will need? Am I right in thinking us adults will need an up to date tetanus? Are there any websites we can go to for info? And does anyone know if the GPs in the UK will do them for free?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 15th 2015, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on immunisations

For adults you don't need anything extra.

Compared to the UK I think NZ has less disease issues, certainly not the TB rise that has made London the TB capital of Europe. I was shocked when I moved to my current area and saw people my own age that had recovered from polio and rickets, something I never saw down south. Where we live in the UK it's also common to be sent for an x-ray to check for TB if you have a persistent and chronic cough.

If you have kids I'd make sure their polio etc is up to date but I think healthcare is free in NZ for children so that might not be such an issue.

Current thinking on tetanus is that you don't need boosters through adult life if you've had a full set when younger but that does vary between medics.

If you want a real anorak read you could try the government website on immunisation. On tetanus it says,
Adults are recommended to have their tetanus immunisation status assessed at ages 45 and 65 years, and either given a booster dose of tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine if more than 10 years has elapsed since the previous dose, or a primary course if there is any doubt about the adequacy of previous tetanus immunisation (uncertain or no history of a prior primary course). Protection against tetanus is expected to last at least 20 years following a booster dose after the primary series. The recommendation for a booster dose at ages 45 and 65 years is intended to ensure ongoing protection, and to facilitate delivery by recommending the booster during routine preventive care for adults. People born before 1960 are less likely to have had a primary series of tetanus vaccine. GP visits at or around ages 45 and 65 years should be used to check on the immunisation history. If there is no reliable history of the patient having received a primary series, the vaccine at that episode should be considered the first of a funded primary series (both the vaccine and the administration are funded). The next two doses in the primary series should be given at four-week intervals, and a booster dose is recommended at least six months after the third dose (note that the vaccine is funded for the booster but not the administration).
Old Oct 16th 2015, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find NZ is over represented in most health statistics for many poverty related illnesses which have largely been eradicated from the UK (such as rheumatic fever). NZ has more than its fair share of health issues that are typically related to developing countries and poorest parts of the world - although it is probably fair to say that this is mostly within certain demographic groups and is largely a symptom of overcrowded living conditions and lack of access to medical care. Hence the quite recent introduction of free GP visits for kids.

Measles is one that always surprises me and I keep meaning to go and get myself vaxxed for this, as it gets lots of media attention but not something I was ever concerned about in the past.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

There are other routine screening programmes also in the UK such as bowel cancer screening which is not widely available here through the public health system. You might like to avail yourself of all those before you get here. Even those that are available often come at a cost. e.g. You pay for cervical screening at my GPs but can get it done for free if you can find one of the mobile vans.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I think you'll find NZ is over represented in most health statistics for many poverty related illnesses which have largely been eradicated from the UK (such as rheumatic fever).
I did wonder if there's more childhood incidences of fungal and mould related breathing difficulties purely due to the housing. It's easy, when you're lucky enough to live in decent housing like me, to forget how much of an impact poor housing has. The city I work in also has a higher than normal incidence of poverty related disease, in both adults and children, and I always thank my parents for pushing and making sure I had educational opportunities so I could escape the poverty trap.

It says a lot about UK:NZ differences that I had to look up what rheumatic fever was

The problem we have in the UK is the rise of the anti-vaxxers. We're below herd immunity now and have seen a rise in measles and other illnesses as a result. I think we've all forgotten how serious, and potentially fatal, these can be. That's a whole other issue though.