Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Accounting Jobs.. Is my qualification recognised??

Accounting Jobs.. Is my qualification recognised??

Old May 30th 2010, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Connie_Chris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accounting Jobs.. Is my qualification recognised??

Hello,

I already have a returning residence Visa, and me and my partner have applied for a residence visa through the Partner, Family Category. Last week he was accepted YIPPEE..

He is currently working for the local council as a payments assistant, he has his AAT qualification (Association of Accounting Technicians), Is there any jobs in NZ that are looking for AAT qualified, or is it not recognised in NZ, as we have not seen many jobs asking for an AAT qualified candidate.

Any answers grateful!

Thanks
Old May 30th 2010, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accounting Jobs.. Is my qualification recognised??

The New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants have an AT qualification, which has a reciprocal agreement with the AAT. You have to register with them as a provisional member, take a paper in New Zealand law, then pay a fee to register as a full member. Has you partner maintained his membership of the AAT by doing his CPD? I think he needs to be a MAAT to do this. More information here.
Old May 31st 2010, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by janiejones
The New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants have an AT qualification, which has a reciprocal agreement with the AAT. You have to register with them as a provisional member, take a paper in New Zealand law, then pay a fee to register as a full member. Has you partner maintained his membership of the AAT by doing his CPD? I think he needs to be a MAAT to do this. More information here.
Thank you. He is due to finish his AAT course next year, so don't think that he has had to take a CPD yet. Is that going to be a hard process for him? Thanks for the help! extremely helpful!!
Old May 31st 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

CPD is what you do once you've become a full member. It's to prove that you're continuing to develop. It used to be based on number of specific hours, but they've changed it now to identifying where you want to develop your skills, and identifying what you're going to do to achieve that. If he's local authority, he should be getting annual performance appraisals, where his targets for the year are set. Lots of MAATs use that format for their CPD, as the format works quite well.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Oh thank you, he is not fully qualified yet, so he has not done any of that yet. What kind of Job will he be able to get when he is out in NZ? As we are worried that there will not be a demand for the jobs he will be looking for? He is hoping to progress, is there any routes that he can to become a Chartered Accountant without going to University?

Many thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Connie_Chris
Oh thank you, he is not fully qualified yet, so he has not done any of that yet. What kind of Job will he be able to get when he is out in NZ? As we are worried that there will not be a demand for the jobs he will be looking for? He is hoping to progress, is there any routes that he can to become a Chartered Accountant without going to University?

Many thanks
Hi, He can take his ACCA exams in NZ and there is a NZ lady that helps with all the registration and she is based in Auckland and links into the ACCA in Australia.

I looked into it a while ago and (Istill cant remember her name!) she was really helpful.

Hope this helps.
Old May 15th 2011, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by banshigirl
Hi, He can take his ACCA exams in NZ and there is a NZ lady that helps with all the registration and she is based in Auckland and links into the ACCA in Australia.

I looked into it a while ago and (Istill cant remember her name!) she was really helpful.

Hope this helps.
Thats brilliant thanks, will defnately keep that in mind!!

Thank you again!!
Old May 16th 2011, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banshigirl
Except that ACCA isn't a New Zealand (or Australian) based qualification. It's fine for the UK, but in New Zealand it would make a lot more sense to work towards the NZ CA qualification.