Accents

Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:20 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Accents

For those in NZ, have you picked up a Kiwi accent at all yet? If so, how strong is it? If not, do you think you ever will?

I've been in the US over 11 years now (and yes, it does seem like 11 years too long!) and started getting a bit of a drawl about 8 years ago. I fought back and retained my BBC English accent but would actually quite happily adopt a Kiwi accent if/when we get there.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:42 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Accents

Originally Posted by Maz
For those in NZ, have you picked up a Kiwi accent at all yet? If so, how strong is it? If not, do you think you ever will?

I've been in the US over 11 years now (and yes, it does seem like 11 years too long!) and started getting a bit of a drawl about 8 years ago. I fought back and retained my BBC English accent but would actually quite happily adopt a Kiwi accent if/when we get there.
My wife, a Thai who has a rather unique accent when speaking English, is now picking up Kiwi phrases and inflections.
She now is comfortable using quaint localisms such as 'bloody bastard' and 'bloody hell'.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The first time I moved here aged 8) I picked up a real NZ accent within about 2 years - then lost it again within 3-4 years of living in UK. I'm hoping to get my kiwi one back soon but been here a year so far without much progress.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:07 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
My wife, a Thai who has a rather unique accent when speaking English, is now picking up Kiwi phrases and inflections.
She now is comfortable using quaint localisms such as 'bloody bastard' and 'bloody hell'.
Good for her!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:07 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
The first time I moved here aged 8) I picked up a real NZ accent within about 2 years - then lost it again within 3-4 years of living in UK. I'm hoping to get my kiwi one back soon but been here a year so far without much progress.
Work harder on it! Take elocution lessons! I hope you get your accent back soon!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz

MOH, Geoff, fairly quickly started to tell people his name was Jiff, which I had to remind him was something that cleaned baths..

...the reverse was that I called our landlord's wife Ginny for 6 months, thinking her name was Virginia, only to realise that her name was actually Jenny - I was horrified.... she hadn't realised !
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:58 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
MOH, Geoff, fairly quickly started to tell people his name was Jiff, which I had to remind him was something that cleaned baths..

...the reverse was that I called our landlord's wife Ginny for 6 months, thinking her name was Virginia, only to realise that her name was actually Jenny - I was horrified.... she hadn't realised !
I was calling my boss's wife Allie and discovered after 6 months that it was Ellie I've lived all over the place (even in Ireland) so have lost the accent I had when I was a child but it's still very Irish. My nephew told his Dad last week that my 'voice had changed' but my brother didn't think so. All I have to do is talk to my family for a few mintues and it's as strong as ever Having a Kiwi hubby though has meant that over the years I have started saying some things like him. Yis for example.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:12 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I was calling my boss's wife Allie and discovered after 6 months that it was Ellie I've lived all over the place (even in Ireland) so have lost the accent I had when I was a child but it's still very Irish. My nephew told his Dad last week that my 'voice had changed' but my brother didn't think so. All I have to do is talk to my family for a few mintues and it's as strong as ever Having a Kiwi hubby though has meant that over the years I have started saying some things like him. Yis for example.
My kiwi friends think my Leeds accent is Irish lol and when they take me off it actually does sound Irish
My own mother for gawds sakes told me the other morning on the phone that I was sounding more kiwi every time she spoke to me :scared:
Old Dec 8th 2006, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky
My kiwi friends think my Leeds accent is Irish lol and when they take me off it actually does sound Irish
My own mother for gawds sakes told me the other morning on the phone that I was sounding more kiwi every time she spoke to me :scared:
My aunt has lived in NZ for 60 years, considers herself 100% Kiwi but still has her Middlesbrough accent.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

I find it kinda weird think that every time I open my mouth to someone they know straight away I am an "import"!!!! And thats after 5 years!!! Although some now think I'm an Aussie???
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I get people saying to me "do I detect an accent?".... I think I have a horrible Peterborough accent. Ive picked up the odd Kiwi/Maori word but no accent as yet.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:41 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
but would actually quite happily adopt a Kiwi accent if/when we get there.
WHY???????????????????????????????????
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maz
For those in NZ, have you picked up a Kiwi accent at all yet? If so, how strong is it?
I know I'm not now in NZ but can I reply anyway?

NO. Absolutely NOT.

Even at the tender age of 12 when we moved to the West Country I had the presence of mind to realise picking up the local accent would NOT be a good thing. So I didn't.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

I think accents are cool-and a great conversation starter. What does a scouse accent mixed with Kiwi sound like anyway? Irish? South African? Weird.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 10:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by danny.f
I think accents are cool
You are a strange cookie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.