Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

7 years, now what.....?

7 years, now what.....?

Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 years, now what.....?

Originally Posted by love30stm
Thanks, I don't really feel depressed btw I just miss certain things, but I have a good life here and lots of great friends, mainly English btw

And we are going to get the NZ citenzship next year and maybe think about Oz, but for the moment I feel a need to return and see people so only time will tell how I will feel later.
Well good luck with that and your Citizenship. We are eligible to apply in November but I don't feel I want to stay here until then although it would give us options! I don't want to be one of those people who gets Citizenship and pledge my allegiance and then do a runner to OZ which is what so many do and I can fully understand why they do it, just not sure if that is for me. We are off to Oz for 8 days in a few weeks so I will have to see what I think about it. Not been there before, all our trips have been either USA or UK so Oz here we come, well can't return home not having visited can we. Doubt I will be coming back this way in a hurry.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Matelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of light

Shirl, you've done the hard graft and got to the point where you can get citizenship. If you left without getting it just pause and think what that would mean, you're turning down the opportunity for you and your family to have "no questions asked" right to live anywhere in Oz NZ or the EU. No one knows whats round the corner, keep your options open!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:58 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shirl
Well good luck with that and your Citizenship. We are eligible to apply in November but I don't feel I want to stay here until then although it would give us options! I don't want to be one of those people who gets Citizenship and pledge my allegiance and then do a runner to OZ which is what so many do and I can fully understand why they do it, just not sure if that is for me. We are off to Oz for 8 days in a few weeks so I will have to see what I think about it. Not been there before, all our trips have been either USA or UK so Oz here we come, well can't return home not having visited can we. Doubt I will be coming back this way in a hurry.
we can apply for citenzship in July, but as im going back to england this year for a visit not going to apply till we save a bit more money.

and whats wrong with doing a runner to Oz? plenty of Kiwis do it
im sure Oz will suit us better but you never know
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:54 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

The old saying "falling in love with love" comes to mind when I read the homesick posts. Understandable but permanent? I don't know, I sit down and read off the list of why I wanted out of the UK to remind myself. G hits the right tune every time he mentions the numbers and the problems caused by overcrowding. Paying into a system that is massively abused by misfits and controlled by people that no longer care hurt and being house trapped by what seems to be a climate shift back there over the last 5-6 years didn't help.
Anyway best of luck with your return and I hope "home" is still there for you...
Old May 1st 2012, 12:45 am

Read The Daily Mail online you will see what your missing or not

Mind you the mail is full of crap and stuff
Old May 1st 2012, 3:03 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Read The Daily Mail online you will see what your missing or not

Mind you the mail is full of crap and stuff
Your'e right it is alarmist but I wish it was all made up!
Old May 1st 2012, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Your'e right it is alarmist but I wish it was all made up!
Yes not all the articles are made up
Old May 1st 2012, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Matelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of lightMatelot is a glorious beacon of light

There's usually a grain of truth in the Mail. Is there an equivalent in NZ?
Old May 1st 2012, 10:38 am
Just Joined

RowanandRick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shirl
Strange breed aren't we, some want crowds, others want peace and quiet, me I don't know what I want anymore! Today I can see snow on the back mountains, the sky is blue with no clouds, yet I feel like I am trapped in paradise. Have a lovely home but no luck selling it yet! Daughter about to move to Perth, the other one already back in the UK and loving it! Sister here 2 hours away who wants me to stay, and me, I am so frustrated that things are not moving quick enough for me I feel like I am going nuts! My mum tells me how much she misses me all the time and my other sister in the UK could really do with some support right now as another rellie has terminal cancer. We will never be able to recapture days when the rellies were around once they have gone so I think you have to do what is in yer heart. Me I long to get back to the west country and be able to go on a Sunday afternoon jaunt to some little village for afternoon cream tea or a nice fishing village and a cornish pasty! I want to be able to say to my mum I will take you out to lunch or say to my other sister I will come to be with you and help you out. I also want a WINTER CHRISTMAS!
shirl, do you believe that you have given your children more in life then what you could have if you stayed in England? now your children no longer depend on you you have to weigh up what would make YOU happy. caring for your england bound family may give you peace.
I'd like to think if we moved to NZ then we can always come back. do you feel like you can come back if you decided thats what you needed to do?
Old May 1st 2012, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RowanandRick
shirl, do you believe that you have given your children more in life then what you could have if you stayed in England? now your children no longer depend on you you have to weigh up what would make YOU happy. caring for your england bound family may give you peace.
I'd like to think if we moved to NZ then we can always come back. do you feel like you can come back if you decided thats what you needed to do?
I am trying to come back, the house is on the market and no luck selling yet. just dropped the price $30k! We came here cause our daughters were already here with their respective families so lesson learned never follow your kids to other countries although I am glad of these past 5 years of experiencing so many things including the earthquakes we have been through but am now ready to go back home and just be content hopefully!
Old May 1st 2012, 9:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by RowanandRick
Then always keep that extra slush fund to afford that & perhaps have an agreement in place for what will happen if one of you loves it in NZ but one of you can't stick it.
Old May 1st 2012, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS
Then always keep that extra slush fund to afford that & perhaps have an agreement in place for what will happen if one of you loves it in NZ but one of you can't stick it.
That's the hard bit Bev's trying not to show your true feelings about NZ life in case they inadvertently pressurize your other halves needs... The only matter to me is both of us being together the where abouts is totally secondary....
Old May 1st 2012, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

1blueheeler is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All
Came back to UK from OZ in 2009 after leaving NZ in 2008 been miserable ever since... We complained of NZ ( paradise) boring... rugby leaque OZ but, OZ's don't like POMS... You have to work bloody hard in OZ to have a decent living and the house prices!!! Since returning to UK both myself and hubby part time work,no prospects,frezzing cold house,expensive crap food..
Would come back to NZ tomoz cannot afford to buy in NZ now and houses not selling here, house prices going down again... Everyone here stares at mobiles phones all day and night brain washed... NZ jobs but, no rentals with pets...least NZ has better summers, cannot afford any thing here at op shops for things, Hubby had job offer in Wellington and Christchurch but, wages poor, we tripled our money in 2006 wages were $25 no better now our money will just be double and then living on the bread line same as here.... would not miss shopping for things that I don't need... bills, no hols... I know where I want to be NZ even with expensive food shop.....
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:57 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Stormer, are you ok?
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stormer999
That's the hard bit Bev's trying not to show your true feelings about NZ life in case they inadvertently pressurize your other halves needs... The only matter to me is both of us being together the where abouts is totally secondary....
Early days Stormer999. Just try and be continuously open with each other about how it's all going & let the one harbouring doubt and feeling lost know that whatever or however it all pans out it will be for the good of both of you.

I think at least a year is sometimes needed to really know where your heart lays when it comes to a place to live. There again , others have the knack of just knowing almost straight away & some just fall out of love with their new found land over a period of time & want to return to the original roots.

If push came to shove & I set my sights firmly on the UK, Mr BEVS wouldn't stop that at all. Thing is, I know it wouldn't be what he really wanted . This place suits him for reasons that it doesn't suit me.

Still. Early days Mr and Mrs Stormer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.