Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

3 years up and into the 4th

3 years up and into the 4th

Old May 11th 2008, 8:37 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 years up and into the 4th

Well here we are again, just about to enter out 4th year, it seems that we never lived in UK now, strange i know, so where do i start, a wee bit from the beginning, are you all sitting comfortably, then i shall begin................

Along time ago in a sleepy part of Dorset in a small town called Poole, lived a hard working family of Fooferfish"s me aged 38, wife 35 and daughter age 8, and whilst having a holiday of a lifetime in the Dominican Republic, we got to thinking of where our lives were going? and where we wanted to be going, after talking to Canadians, we looked at moving to Canada, but the process was way to long, and we needed to get as much profit out of our house as we could to finance the move ect, so we looked at OZ, to hot, and then i looked at NZ mmm the first thing the wife said was " no way am i moving to the ends of the world" so i put in the EOI, and off the ball went rolling, lots of research, lost points, job offer and from July 04 to Dec 04 we had got our PRV, there was no way we were doing it any other way, we wanted PRV or nothing else, did not want the chance of being thrown out of NZ.

So after all the sad goodbyes and doing the London to Dubai, to Melbourne, and then the CHCH and then to Dunedin we landed here on the 21st of May 2005, in the darkness, meet with new boss who then drives us 45 mins up the coast to their holiday house/Crib in a sleepy fishing village called Karitane, cold freezing house, had to get the fire going, never used a wood fire before, cold cotton sheets, bloody freezing, we thought OMG what have we done ha ha, awake next morning with jet lag, and frost outside, beautiful Autumn/winters day, sun was out, so we took our first steps into NZ world, went to the dairy, people were so freindly it was sureal, , so no car to travel , so we spent the weekend just mooching about on deserted beaches and learning how to keep the fire going, boss came to collect us all on Monday morning and had taken the day off work to show us around and look at cars, Calder/Stewart was the company i was going to work for and did us proud, paid our rent for a month and free truck and fuel for 6 weeks, so we got out first glimps of Dunedin as we came around a hill and once we were in the city and seen some of the dodgy looking houses ect it was abit of an anti climax.

I started work after one week, and in hind sight should have had at least a month off, the lads i met and still see from time to time were rugged as, and smoked to much weed, even on site, were a great hard working bunch, weel some of the time, i personally could not get used to the change in work ethics and culture of the lads, so after 8 months, got a job installing wood fires for a smalll firm in town.

We had 6 weeks in the crib out of town, but had to move out, and we ended up in a holiday flat, a 2 room unit for about 4 weeks, that was crazy, as we did not want to rent short tierm and as the Poms were playing rugby in town everything was booked solid, went to a few open homes and we ened up buying an ex council house on a hll, with the all important all day sun, and came with added vies of the harbour, modest house nothing flash, not in flash area, and one thing that has helped us immencely, is the fact that we managed to buy this place outright, no mortgage at last, what a feeling, $175k for a 3 bed , 2 lounge, with a dick.buig enough for 3 of us, we have lost nearly 20k in UK in the late 80s with negitve equity, so didn' want to got here again in NZ.

So we had money in the bank and a nice car, and the wife could look at her future in a more relaxed manner, she took a part time job later on in the first year, and i spent the next 2 year fitting wood fires, the wife looked at Midwifery course at UNI but the entrance courses ment you had 4 year to do, in the end she took up councelling course at Polytec and is in her 2nd year, with a degre year to follow, i spent to much time and energy into installing woodifre and just about buggered my back, and for what, why did i always put in to much effort for other people ?? so after a long think, i started my own property maintenance business, did a few calls on Rental comopanies in town and i now have 3 of them who give me a conctant flow of weird and wonderful jobs to do, every day is different and i like that, we used some of our savin gs to start up with, i had a shuttle trailer to start with, towed behing Hilux, and now i have a van, got just about all the tools i need.The business has grown and is making good $$ and with all the tax incentives we are still living ok, and thats all that matters ay?

We have travelled most of the lower south island and we have seen and done some wonderful things in the past 3 years, we are now looking at the top of the SI for our next trip away.

Our daughter who is now 11 is doing very well in her new school of multi cultural people, she picked it herself even thoigh all her mates went to another school, bling area school.She has overcome all the difficulties of moving here and making new friends and we hope it will make her a more upwardly mobile person in the future, she hated us at first, but loves the p,lace now, and loves the mountains very much, we have caught trout in rivers and walked amongst penguins and seals, albatross and sealions, cant say we ever did that in UK.

Well thats the first part,i will do the next one later as the slow cooker is about to give up its roast pork joint.

I hope the story so far is ok, and is of interest to you, wont bore you with all the little details, but next installment will be the highs and lows.

Nige, Karla and Martha Dunners since May 05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunedin since May 2005
Old May 11th 2008, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 years up and into the 4th

Thats great! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next installment!
Old May 11th 2008, 3:39 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

3 bed,2 lounge, with a dick? it would be a selling point for my missus but not me!
Old May 11th 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Inspirational thanks guys, looking forward to the next installment.
Old May 11th 2008, 7:16 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry a Dick is what people want after being in NZ for some time, there was a guy i knew who had just been here a few weeks when was inx=vited to his new bosses house for BBQ with his wife, when they got into through the front door the boss asked the wife" would you like to come and sit on my dick " she immediately went to her husband and told him what the boss had said, they were shocked!! but following the guy out of the back french door ont to the "DECK" they started to laugh together, when Kiwi's pronounce the Deck it sounds very much like Dick so thats where it comes from.
Old May 11th 2008, 7:35 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

i will try it out on every woman i meet then,it sounds like a great usp!
Old May 11th 2008, 7:38 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for sharing and congratulations on your 3rd year anniversary. Its so nice to read how people are doing.
Old May 12th 2008, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Sorry a Dick is what people want after being in NZ for some time, there was a guy i knew who had just been here a few weeks when was inx=vited to his new bosses house for BBQ with his wife, when they got into through the front door the boss asked the wife" would you like to come and sit on my dick " she immediately went to her husband and told him what the boss had said, they were shocked!! but following the guy out of the back french door ont to the "DECK" they started to laugh together, when Kiwi's pronounce the Deck it sounds very much like Dick so thats where it comes from.
We'd like a nice big dick too above our garage but with a quote of $3.5k to just get the plans drawn up .....lets just say we've put it on the back burner for now.
Old May 12th 2008, 2:14 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I can't believe you went to Karitane. For no other reason than I thought my grandfather (who lived there as a child) and Trudy King were the only other people on the planet who had actually been there!!

Sorry not relevant in the slightest. Just surprising for me to read that! Karitane was lovely though when i went there as a nipper.
Old May 12th 2008, 6:56 am
Dorset to Dunedin

MMMM Karitane will always be close to our hearts, we go there alot on the weekends and reminiss, kids play in the rock pools and the lady in the dairy still knows us by name, and always gives the kids extra scoops of ice cream, the locals there are sooo freindly, one thing will stick in my mind about the local cop was that one day i got home and the wife told me that they had got stopped by the cops today, for riding a bike without a helmet, she told the cop she had only been in NZ for one day and did not know the law, he let her go, but that village is our birth place in NZ and always will be,

Here is a pic of me and me truck on a hill looking down on Karitane, you can just make out the Moari Pa site to the right.

Old May 12th 2008, 7:00 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Definitely the Karitane i remember. In fact, i think i have a photo from the same spot!
Old May 12th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, please write some more, I'm interested, you have my full attention...................
Old May 12th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

oh yes, please do!! hey teebrown i notice your from bordon, i used to live on the army site there when i was a teen, went to mill chase school there,( sorry for going off topic),

gina