Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

3 great thing and 3 crap ones about NZ?

3 great thing and 3 crap ones about NZ?

Old May 17th 2009, 9:30 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 great thing and 3 crap ones about NZ?

Originally Posted by jmh
.....The point about ready meals being in the shops is that you have a choice. I hardly ever buy them because I prefer preparing my own, but occasionally I will. Supermarkets don't impose them, people choose to buy them. There is plenty of fresh produce available too.
yep and the point that these ready meals and other "processed muck" (whatever that may be) are the *only significant* aspects of choice that are different between NZ and the UK is ....erm..... falacious as well.

Just look at the range of cheeses for sale in a UK supermarket compared to a NZ one. And how "processed" the bulk of NZ cheeses sold (by weight at least in those Valumatic, MAinland, etc bags....umm...yummy....) are compared to those being sold in the UK or Europe. This shows just how weak this argument is.

To me this is more indicative of the "(clean) green-tinted spectacles" that some kiwis want to wear when looking around their own back yard. Maybe that symptom needs to be added to my little newsflash on the "Taboo" thread??
Old May 17th 2009, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
yep and the point that these ready meals and other "processed muck" (whatever that may be) are the *only significant* aspects of choice that are different between NZ and the UK is ....erm..... falacious as well.

Just look at the range of cheeses for sale in a UK supermarket compared to a NZ one. And how "processed" the bulk of NZ cheeses sold (by weight at least in those Valumatic, MAinland, etc bags....umm...yummy....) are compared to those being sold in the UK or Europe. This shows just how weak this argument is.

To me this is more indicative of the "(clean) green-tinted spectacles" that some kiwis want to wear when looking around their own back yard. Maybe that symptom needs to be added to my little newsflash on the "Taboo" thread??

Posters experiences only seem to become an argument when you get involved Lardyl. Have you thought about using some of your time more productively finding out where you can buy fresh products in NZ including decent cheese.
Old May 18th 2009, 1:11 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

We have sections in the supermarket aisle that have organic, gluten free, etc etc. Not a huge selection but it is there and all clearly marked. In the big Countdown in Whangarei there is a large selection, but up here it's smaller.

Cheese! Now I am a cheese fanatic and I manage to get whatever I fancy! We are lucky because Mahoe Cheese is round the corner from us and I think their cheeses are fantastic.
But if I crave some french stuff I can still get it from the deli.
OMG we had port salut at christmas! Now that was a treat!

Lardyl, you live in a much more populated area than me ( I think ?) there must be some decent cheese for you to get your paws on! What's your favourite? (ETA oops sorry I just realised you were talking about supermarket cheese - do any of yours not have a deli section with all the scrummy cheeses?)

We've never been fans of ready meals, my DH is a fantastic cook so things are always made fresh and lovely.

On a wee aside, my parents are over a fair amount and they adore our local New World, they relish all the different things.

Last edited by pixi-dust; May 18th 2009 at 1:14 am.
Old May 18th 2009, 1:53 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Sally you really do need to check out what is being said rather than cherry picking - "an argument" can be used without there being "an argument" going on....maybe not in your case...... Sorry that I am not afraid to say what I think and speak out when those "green-tinted" or "rose-tinted" specs are thrust before the eyes. You seem to be able to ruffle the odd feather too judging by the Karma I get when I post in response to your quips...LOL......so touche!

I can buy very nice cheese just up the road in Puhoi thanks, no need to research that much as it is where we have dined out occasionally since pretty much when we arrived and sometimes make "special" cheese purchases (thanks for the advice as well Laura). Their product can be found in the supermarkets and it doesn't require too much hunting but their shop bought is better than the stuff at New World.

Whilst there are decent farmer's markets in Orewa and Matakana they seem to be rather expensive (cartering to tourists more perhaps?) and there isn't anywhere obvious that will do the organic vege pack that we used to get once a week in the UK. We get veges from friends and neighbours to suppliment our own odd bits but that is all beside the real point that I and others have been trying to make.

Back OT: I've found that there are plenty of decent cheeses available here but the volumes are not high - heard some interesting discussion on the radio a couple of months back about the national cheese competitions and it all sounded promising.

Using my thinking time productively for a couple of minutes I have a theory why there appear to be fewer additive-free and preservative-free products in many NZ supermarkets than in the UK. And this is going to be a difficult one for some to swallow (hehe) - plenty of NZ supermarket food is processed/produced in Oz and then shipped a rather greater distance than UK supermarket foods which on the whole are produced in the country, excepting the pasta, chocolate spreads, etc. Much of that food is also probably designed to be stored in more extreme conditions, as WA has a slightly different climate to Somerset. Just a thought...
Old May 18th 2009, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Payens is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmm, not sure about the last comment in regards to the UK. I remember seeing one of these food programmes when I was back in the UK, talking about how UK supermarkets put a lot of preservatives on fruit and veg in order to keep them longer - though fair is fair, this is probably common practice around the world nowadays, including NZ.

Not a cheese fan, but would agree that the New World's have a smaller choice of cheeses than in the UK. However, I guess NZ'ers tastes are less expansive on cheeses (many of them probably haven't sampled European cheeses, having never been there!).

On other products, though the UK has more choice, I wouldn't say this was substantively different as you suggest Lardyl (apart from maybe cheese), certainly not enough to be a factor not to live here (though you haven't suggested this).
Old May 18th 2009, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I've also found that some of the continental-type cheeses have been very expensive here and not as good as the real thing! Also, not all ready-made meals are rubbish. M&S do great tasty and fresh take-aways and whether or not you use them, it's good to have the choice. And, I just don't like the look of the examples of ready-meals I've seen in the supermarkets in Auckland. Basically, the're not a patch on the UK supermarkets, especially M&S, in taste, price and quality.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:05 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
On a wee aside, my parents are over a fair amount and they adore our local New World, they relish all the different things.
If you mean the Kerikeri one it still sticks in my mind as one of the best in the country. I think New World really do 'town size' shops so much better than anyone else (including the british chains). Places like Motueka, Kaikoura, Wanaka, Queenstown, Oamaru, Kerikeri - all have fabulous stores.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
If you mean the Kerikeri one it still sticks in my mind as one of the best in the country. I think New World really do 'town size' shops so much better than anyone else (including the british chains). Places like Motueka, Kaikoura, Wanaka, Queenstown, Oamaru, Kerikeri - all have fabulous stores.
That's funny because I always take my UK visitors to New World Oriental Bay in Wellington and say: 'NZ Supermarket..this is as good as it gets'.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:49 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

yep. that's the one - I think it's one of the nicest supermarkets ever - not biased or anything!
Old May 19th 2009, 6:26 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the one in Hastings? It's an unlikely place to find such a perfect example of a pleasant supermarket but there it is. After you've shopped there you can sit out in the HAwkes Bay sunshine and have fabulous coffee in the in-store cafe.
Old May 19th 2009, 7:26 am
you dewty owld maan!

yep they are good stores in Wanaka, Q/T and Kerikeri but we seemed to pay more for the food there than in other New Worlds......just comparing with the Orewa N/W which is where I do the regular grocery run, its rather older (from the 60s AFIK) than those stores that look pretty new to me. So they are are good quality and range but you end up paying for it.

I do acknowledge that the UK supermarkets use presrvatives sometimes to prevent spoilage of produce (used to be involved in potato store fires on a fairly regular basis) but this has to be balanced against the seasonal cost variations here in NZ - just compare August prices for tomatoes to the prices when they are "in season". UK consumers would not put up with prices trebling in the winter......and then again I was talking about "processed" food not produce.....although re-reading the post it seems that it was not too clear, sorry.

Show me a NZ supermarket chain with quality and range as good as Waitrose and I'll buy you a sack of spuds.......from a New World if you like......
Old May 19th 2009, 7:52 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
That's funny because I always take my UK visitors to New World Oriental Bay in Wellington and say: 'NZ Supermarket..this is as good as it gets'.
Have driven past it but never had the pleasure..
Old May 19th 2009, 7:57 am
Here in Dunedin

Originally Posted by lardyl
Show me a NZ supermarket chain with quality and range as good as Waitrose and I'll buy you a sack of spuds.......from a New World if you like......
I for one can't and thinking globally there is probably only one chain in the US that compares. But surely you're not saying that there should be a Waitrose equivalent in NZ?
Old May 19th 2009, 8:05 am
A land far far away

I never shopped at Waitrose - I don't think they had them north of England!
Were they not very expensive though?

Kerikeri New World is actually cheaper for some things then Kaikohe one - but it has a better deli. ( more cheese!)
Old May 19th 2009, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Payens is an unknown quantity at this point

wish i could think of an example that would earn me that sack of spuds, but no joy. Waitrose has decent quality and range, though they tend to be on the expensive side, so no 'budget' or 'value' ranges can be found. Then again, they are the Harrods of supermarkets, if there was such a comparison

I bought some stuff at Moore-Wilson in Welly the other day, I was very disappointed by the meat there (and the prices). Goes to show that perhaps you have to be very selective of where to go...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.