British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   2nd Time Round (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/2nd-time-round-686049/)

johneastriggs Sep 19th 2010 12:40 pm

2nd Time Round

Hello, Has anyone out there emigrated to NZ, come back to UK,let there PR run out and realised they want to re-emigrate back to NZ??

torren Sep 19th 2010 5:50 pm

Re: 2nd Time Round

Hi, we went out for 18mnths from 2005. Came back for 5 years and now heading back, but this time via Oz. There are some things that Australasia does much better than the UK, and some things the UK does much better than Australasia...so I suppose we'll be doing a few trips in each direction!!:cool:

johneastriggs Sep 19th 2010 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by torren (Post 8859854)
Hi, we went out for 18mnths from 2005. Came back for 5 years and now heading back, but this time via Oz. There are some things that Australasia does much better than the UK, and some things the UK does much better than Australasia...so I suppose we'll be doing a few trips in each direction!!:cool:

So did you or do you have residency?I see you are from Scotland as am I.

torren Sep 19th 2010 6:01 pm

Hi, no, we had to let it lapse. I didn't want to, and did consider going back on my own for a while to keep it up. Anyway, it didn't matter in the end, we spent 5 great years in UK earning some money (something we struggled to do in NZ) but now ready for another adventure! We live near Perth. Had a fab time here and were very lucky to be able to land on our feet in a place like this after returning from NZ.

johneastriggs Sep 19th 2010 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by torren (Post 8859869)
Hi, no, we had to let it lapse. I didn't want to, and did consider going back on my own for a while to keep it up. Anyway, it didn't matter in the end, we spent 5 great years in UK earning some money (something we struggled to do in NZ) but now ready for another adventure! We live near Perth. Had a fab time here and were very lucky to be able to land on our feet in a place like this after returning from NZ.

Oh well good luck in your new adventure,still not sure whats around the corner for us.Job uncertainties at present has got us thinking again.Will see wht the next year brings.

ANTHONY2 Sep 19th 2010 10:17 pm

Hi there, we are after the same answers. My husband has PR in NZ and we want to go and live in Australia, if he gets a work visa in Australia can we come back to NZ and use his PR again or does PR lapse?

tiri Sep 20th 2010 7:49 am

Originally Posted by johneastriggs (Post 8859324)
Hello, Has anyone out there emigrated to NZ, come back to UK,let there PR run out and realised they want to re-emigrate back to NZ??

oh no not me!!! I came back lasy year and am about to head out again but to Australia this time. It's the land of opportunity for me, NZ has had its day :rofl:

johneastriggs Sep 20th 2010 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by ANTHONY2 (Post 8860187)
Hi there, we are after the same answers. My husband has PR in NZ and we want to go and live in Australia, if he gets a work visa in Australia can we come back to NZ and use his PR again or does PR lapse?

I believe if you get citizenship in NZ you can come and goa s you please in Oz

luvwelly Sep 21st 2010 1:29 am

It's called being a 'ping ponger' and I simply can't get my head round why people do it since the international removals thing is so expensive ...anyone can make a mistake once but potentially the same mistake twice...with your eyes open?
Lots of threads on 'Moving back to the UK' on it. I actually think it's the expat curse thing of never feeling you belong anywhere once you have left for pastures new.

Janeyk has just come back and that's one example.

Genesis Sep 21st 2010 5:38 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 8863487)
and I simply can't get my head round why people do it since the international removals thing is so expensive ...anyone can make a mistake once but potentially the same mistake twice...with your eyes open?

Because we are human and we make mistakes?

Charlie Paynter Sep 21st 2010 9:16 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 8863487)
...I actually think it's the expat curse thing of never feeling you belong anywhere once you have left for pastures new...

Bingo!

tiri Sep 21st 2010 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by johneastriggs (Post 8862566)
I believe if you get citizenship in NZ you can come and goa s you please in Oz

Yeah but you never get treated the same as an aussie citizen legally speaking. Best to migrate with PR and apply for citizenship after 4 years rather than be one of the hundreds of thousands of kiwis living in Australia.