Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

20% deposit needed to buy a house from oct

20% deposit needed to buy a house from oct

Old Oct 26th 2014, 7:56 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 20% deposit needed to buy a house from oct

Originally Posted by davros1984
Pippa - good to still see you here. That article I highlighted really does backup the statements we have made on this forum. Good to see that others didn't disagree with it.
I am still here Davros. Busy packing as our moving day is this coming Friday! I still like to dip into this forum every now and again to see what's happening. Hope you and yours are well.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Most certainly it is more justified to compare Auckland with small, regional capitals than with capitals like London. Otherwise potential immigrants might wrongly think that Auckland is an interesting, exciting city with great art and culture, intellectual stimulation, massive opportunities, and beautiful beaches.
People don't move to NZ for the great art and culture or the intellectual stimulation - if you did you must be a bit thick
Old Oct 31st 2014, 7:55 am
Just Joined

kiwi still shocked is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some gorgeous towns and cities in the uk so full of history and with so much to do. In other words there is a life outside of London. You guys don't know how lucky you are.

Last edited by kiwi still shocked; Oct 31st 2014 at 8:01 am.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
People don't move to NZ for the great art and culture or the intellectual stimulation - if you did you must be a bit thick
Well, it wasn't me who compared Auckland to London. So correctly, you should say people who compare NZ cities to the capitals of the world are a bit thick. And the ones that say NZ is bit boring with limited opportunities might be just right.

Last edited by Assanah; Oct 31st 2014 at 3:18 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally amazed no-one else on this forum is picking up on this stuff... just amazed its still going on and I am so-so glad I escaped when I did. This stuff really hurts would-be migrants and your average Kiwi. My view is that its disgusting.

New figures from realestate.co.nz reveal the average national asking price for homes peaked at $511,421 last month

The rampant Auckland market had the highest average asking price, posting a record $764,000, up $87,000 from 12 months ago and more than $200,000 from early 2012.

Latest QV housing data
• Auckland values up 5% in past three months
• Auckland values up 13% on last year
• Auckland values up 43.8% since 2007
• New Zealand values up 6.4 per cent

Anyone wishing to buy an average house for $500,000 on a 30 year mortgage at 6 percent interest, can expect to pay about $700 a week.
By the time they have paid it off, the bank will have received an extra $600,000 in interest.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/267414/average-house-price-passes-$500k
Average Auckland house price hits record $764,000 - Property - NZ Herald News
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/ho...ces-up-13pc-qv
Hot property: Auckland values soar but warnings not to sell off-plan too soon - Business - NZ Herald News

So sometimes the grass really isn't greener!
Old Mar 4th 2015, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Davros! Hope the UK is treating you well.
Check out our impending disasters in Christchurch:
Highfield Park faces liquidation threat | Stuff.co.nz
Groynes Park subdivision buyers angry at holdups | Stuff.co.nz
Ravenswood subdivision up for sale | Stuff.co.nz
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:42 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: 20% deposit needed to buy a house from oct

Originally Posted by davros1984
...6 percent interest...
Unlikely.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

At risk of comparing Auckland with London here which I have a history of saying is not comparable, but we're all hypocrites now and again

I used to live in this property as tenant from 2006-2010 and just look how much it was the market for a two up, two down with a small garden;

YIKES!!

If I had to compare Acton to somewhere in Auckland for it's social jagged edges with a bit of wealth dotted about with it's proximity to the city it'd be somewhere like Mt Wellington.

When I learned of this, suddenly the perceived value of some of Auckland's property didn't seem quite so bad.

As a point for comparison (one could make many) my wife and I are about to complete on a 131 square metre 3 bed villa in Grey Lynn, 1 en suite, 1 bathroom and parking enough for 4 and possibly 5 cars, with a similar amount of outdoor space for, as the exchange rate goes just over half the price of 10 Gloucester Road.

Given we have lived in one and have committed to by the other, I'd take the Grey Lynn option over the Gloucester Rd one any day. Notwithstanding the fact that the London option wouldn't be big enough for family expansion anyway.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Mar 9th 2015 at 4:21 am.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 4:21 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I think you win the prize for the most long-winded attempt at a covert "we bought a flash house" brag on the forum! Congratulations on the house and the brag
Old Mar 9th 2015, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I think you win the prize for the most long-winded attempt at a covert "we bought a flash house" brag on the forum! Congratulations on the house and the brag
If you say so

If you care to read back through my posts on how this would have come to be, you'll see that we're reinvesting money from an inheritance.

We could have borrowed heavily and bought a truly flash house. Now that would have been awesome.

Hey, we could spunk it all up the wall, but nah we'll just cop the crap from those green eyes out there.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Mar 9th 2015 at 4:27 am.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Think that asking price has taken a few years off my life. Yikes!
Old Mar 9th 2015, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
If you say so

If you care to read back through my posts on how this would have come to be, you'll see that we're reinvesting money from an inheritance.

We could have borrowed heavily and bought a truly flash house. Now that would have been awesome.

Hey, we could spunk it all up the wall, but nah we'll just cop the crap from those green eyes out there.
I really must find some rich rellies that I can have bumped off .

That's just crazy money for a two-up, two-down.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 5:08 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
If you say so

Erm, Tommy this isn't a place where you can just waltz in and show off you know. People get offended
Old Mar 9th 2015, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, people have died way too young for us to be in this position.

I make no apology for enjoying the fruits of their labour, whilst investing in the way they did in order to look to secure a decent future for the next generation or two.

Both my wife and I work full time jobs, so were hardly rich kids tossing around the cash like there's no tomorrow. We work for our own money too.

My wife would give it all back to see her Mum again who died when my wife was just 14.

Perphaps some people, Bourbon Biscuit, should perhaps consider the wider connotations of the whole story rather than displaying their unattractive envious slurs over the Internet with limited knowledge.

Anyway, back to my initial response today;

Auckland isn't the only city in the world with its property prices rising to difficult levels for many people.

If you want to live in the main commercial centre of any developed nation you should expect to pay more than the rest of the country do.

And as such without assistance from your family, unless you have a super well paid job, can you expect to be able to buy what you want in the neighbourhood you want.

Rightly or wrongly, it's become a act of life.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Erm, Tommy this isn't a place where you can just waltz in and show off you know. People get offended
Problem is I get offended by the offended and it just makes me mad.

Then I spout some more.

It's a vicious cycle 😃

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.