Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

1st NZ job interview - tips?

1st NZ job interview - tips?

Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:59 am
Just Joined

shades is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1st NZ job interview - tips?

I've got my 1st job interview in NZ on Monday, as it's my first in this country(& my first in years) are there any specific to NZ tips?
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1st NZ job interview - tips?

i am sure it would help if you gave a little more info about the role/field
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

selondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really nice

Remember 'can do'. They really want to hear you say that you can do (and will do!) anything
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Depending where it is, almost definitely if it is Public sector, be prepared for THE Treaty question and how you will apply it to your role.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Brag about yourself to the point of sounding like a right w****r.

Tell em how amazing NZ until it starts sounding like your taking the piss, they love it.

Dress not only smart, but fashionably smart, the Kiwi's aren't known for snappy dressing so you'll probably impress em.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 8:43 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure and mention you can use a typewriter and telephone, it's good to show you have a technological edge.

Also the standard of management in New Zealand is poor even by their own admission, there is a real culture of box ticking and avoiding progress at all costs. Try not to sound ambitious in interviews, you want to show the you will be a good little cog in the big machine .
Old Jan 13th 2012, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shades
I've got my 1st job interview in NZ on Monday, as it's my first in this country(& my first in years) are there any specific to NZ tips?
TeresaGreen's your person to ask. She's done quite a few interviews over here & has been offered most (if not all) jobs that she has gone for. I believe you are meeting up with her tomorrow

Good luck with the interview.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 9:58 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

It would really help if we knew what type of job you were going for.

But some general tips.

Don't overdress - I once went for a interview for a 100k job in a suit, everyone else was in smart jeans and shirts.

Do some research on the company/organisation.

Think about some intelligent questions to ask, if it was a sales job, I would ask "how much does your top salesman earn?" for example.

Know your CV inside out.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:04 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Try and think what sort of barriers the person may have to picking you. One might be 'he's from overseas so he might decide not to stick around'. So you might illustrate your commitment to staying by mentioning that you are looking to buy a house, or make some other indication of permanent plans to stay.

You need to feel your way a bit. Some employers like the idea of bring in overseas experience, others feel that kiwi experience is more important. Hard to judge which yours will be. If they have other migrants working there already that might give a clue. Lots of people employ migrants so don't be overly concerned about it. Showing that you can fit in and get on with others is probably more important.

Some people think a lot of Brits are white supremacists (yes I know that's ignorant). If you can demonstrate experience of working with people of different cultures that might help. I probably wouldn't raise the issue unless they do though. Just have it in readiness if you are asked the question. Don't assume the employer is ignorant - many have travelled and lived abroad.

Showing you have a positive attitude is quite important, and a challenge to some Brits And yes, a 'can-do' attitude is looked for.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Brag about yourself to the point of sounding like a right w****r.

Tell em how amazing NZ until it starts sounding like your taking the piss, they love it.

Dress not only smart, but fashionably smart, the Kiwi's aren't known for snappy dressing so you'll probably impress em.
If only it wasnt so true.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
If only it wasnt so true.
My mother summed it up after an extended visit to care for her mother in winter 2010: "Tatty looking people dressed in rags and trackies, shuffling along the high street to their 20-year-old cars, driving back to their freezing, draughty, damp houses".