Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

1080 Poison - why haven't NZ banned it?!

1080 Poison - why haven't NZ banned it?!

Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1080 Poison - why haven't NZ banned it?!

I had a dog once. I spilled spot remover on him, and now he's gone.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:28 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1080 Poison - why haven't NZ banned it?!

was he a Dalmatian?
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
was he a Dalmatian?
No........but he answered to the name of "Zit"...........
Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:38 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Could this be, no, is it possible, someone with a sense of humour - can you tell that lot on the other threads that it's ok to have one!!??

I'm going to start a thread called "my honest opinion" - .... my post will read:

"YES a millionaire's lifestyle IS in your grasp, move to NEW Zealand, you can buy a 12 acre plot of land, only 2 miles from the centre of Auckland, commute time is zero because you have your own private motorway to get to - or on day's when you're bored of the road you can use your 40ft yacht to get you to the CBD, or alternatively when you can't be arsed to pull up your anchor off your own private jetty you can FLY using your own westland helicopter, and if you ever get bored you can TELEPORT yourself.

The grass is greener, so is the muesli so EVERYBODY come to New Zealand, it is in your grasp, SOD entry points, skills, qualifications etc, everyone can come here, even if you live in Bradford (quote from other thread - I'm not dissing Bradford).

I love possums and muesli!!!

I LOVE VOLCANOES.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:20 am
Just Joined

PRinAuckland is an unknown quantity at this point

To those of you who are making light of the situation - I posted this website to try and get some rational answers re 1080 use - living in the UK I have absolutely no way of being able to measure how widespread its use is and exactly how many pets it is killing.

I posted this site after reading the below article and many others, such as the RSPCA and even Department of Conservation articles saying how dangerous this stuff is to dogs. I also read NEWS reports from the NZ press saying how in two incidents, 50 and 33 dogs had died in the Hutt - OF COURSE I AM WORRIED! The problem is not when they spread it in 'signed' native bush areas - I received an email from the DOC saying that they also use it in SAND DUNES, by beaches. So I am RIGHTLY concerned about my pet, who is one of the family, and a scavenger by nature. And quite rightly so I am WORRIED how this will affect my lifestyle if I am constantly having to check for 1080 and keep my dog right by my side. I'm not the only one, and thanks Tigger and Sky for a more rational response to my original question.

The rest of the stuff I mentioned in my post was what I'd found out about it on the web - the FBI and American Govs have banned it due to its potential use to contaminate water supplies. I just found it astounding that somewhere as supposedly 'clean' and 'green' as NZ uses it on such a widespread basis, not that I'm overly concerned about water supplies in NZ, I'm just astounded that NZ uses it because of its status.

I came on here to try and gain some rationale on it - & all I got was called a bloody troll and attacked for trying to scaremonger! I am the one who is scared, so if all you people can do is mock and attack me I'll go elsewhere for my information. Beats me why you would attack someone Username when they are genuinely and RIGHTLY concerned about their poor pet getting it - just read the following, of which there are more. Check www.scoop.co.nz. I also read one story where they were concerned about a drop made near the water supply, which scared me to a much lesser extent because I think they test the water quite well for it over there, but nevertheless shocks me that NZ would use this when there are so many alternatives that are kinder to mammals. This is one post I read:-

Warning to all dog owners - 1080 Poison drop
18 June

Dear Dog Owner

Saturday 5pm Michael Hunt arrived at a popular beach in Northland on a yacht, he went by dinghy ashore to exercise himself and his dog. He spent 1 hour ashore and went back to the yacht. Approximately one and a half hours later the dog Emma went absolutely ballistic in as much as it took two people to restrain her and over the next hour and 15 minutes we were privy to a death of a dog that could only be described as horrifically inhumane tantamount to second degree murder. A young child was also on the yacht and had to witness this tragedy,

Next morning Michael was uncertain as to what caused Emma’s death. He went back to the beach and retraced where he had been the previous evening and recovered green pellets on the sandy beach. As a consequence of all this he made a phone call to the Department of Conservation and they confirmed that the 1080 poison had been distributed on the area. In their words it is flavoured to taste like a muesli bar. They alleged that they had complied with all regulations and they were not liable in any way. The fact of the matter remains that 1080 poison under the Department of Conservation’s care and control ended up on a beach which was not an authorised distribution area.

The reason for this email is to warn all dog owners in New Zealand to have a rethink if they choose to take their dog on a New Zealand beach. While the Department of Conservation says they complied with regulations but there was no warning sign on the beach. Another thing to ponder on where is the responsibility if a child was playing on the beach and had a liking for muesli bars. Maybe the warning should be for all New Zealanders.

I urge all who read this email to alert other dog owners. Please send me their email addresses or fax or phone numbers so that I can alert them to these dangers.

- End -

Now - tell me there's nothing to worry about? The dog is the most susceptible animal to this stuff - but what I can't establish from the other side of the world is HOW MUCH it's used in more built-up non-bush areas? I think the pellets are much less of a problem - it's basically the poisoned possums from what I've read - they can remain poisonous for 6 months and they can travel out of poisoned areas after being poisoned. Does this mean I have to muzzle my dog everywhere we go? Or is it not that bad? Or do people just not know about it.

And Sky, I don't think dogs would tell the difference between the pellet colours as they see in b/w. But perhaps the pellets should be designed to turn the possums blue so we can spot them before our dog does lol.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

OK, PR in AKL, I asked before and I'll ask again before I write you off as a troll. What is your source for the 83 (first it was 33, then 50, now it seems there were two dog slaughters) dead dog story? Please send a URL. Also, you have received quite a few answers re the widespreadedness of 1080, which show that it's not a major problem to dogs. You quote one story, where one dog, whose unlucky owner took him into a poisoned area by yacht. Apart from this, your posts seem to consist of hysteria. So, please show us your references, or get back under your bridge.

And PS, I'm a dog owner, whose mutt is a scavenger, and gets runs off the lead, so I have every cause to be concerned.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 10:40 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=PRinAuckland]
Saturday 5pm Michael Hunt arrived at a popular beach
- QUOTE]
I think this says it all.
Mike
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

PRinAuckland is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
OK, PR in AKL, I asked before and I'll ask again before I write you off as a troll. What is your source for the 83 (first it was 33, then 50, now it seems there were two dog slaughters) dead dog story? Please send a URL. Also, you have received quite a few answers re the widespreadedness of 1080, which show that it's not a major problem to dogs. You quote one story, where one dog, whose unlucky owner took him into a poisoned area by yacht. Apart from this, your posts seem to consist of hysteria. So, please show us your references, or get back under your bridge.

And PS, I'm a dog owner, whose mutt is a scavenger, and gets runs off the lead, so I have every cause to be concerned.

What the hell is a troll and please grow up insulting people for goodness sake – sort your egos, men and pride! I’m perfectly entitled to be a concerned dog owner.

I have read many many news reports which, added together, have scared me. The figures I’ve quoted are from a number of reports – I haven’t contradicted myself as you say – there are a number of incidents, most notably one in 1998 and one in 2002. I’m merely trying to find out if it’s a serious problem over there because these reports suggest that there is a risk for my dog?! It would appear the insulting posts I’ve had from you and another wise ass are ill-informed which are why I haven’t taken them seriously.

To pacify you just this once, here are a few of the web articles I’ve found. I’m not sitting here any longer massaging your ego so you can start telling me to get under my bridge, that I should stay at home and I’m a troll (WTF!) – I thought this was a forum where you could ask people things – I didn’t expect to be attacked for it! Find the rest yourself they’re all over Google:-

Department of Conservation website – this one says 33 dogs killed, reports are varied there are a number of incidents and the figures I’ve quoted in my postings are taken from various articles:-
http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/...-The-Facts.asp

I have also been reading about a campaign over there called STOP1080, http://www.stop1080poison.com/whatsnew.html

I have read another article that claimed 50 dogs died after one drop, but I have checked this and someone has since informed me that they think this figure may be over-exaggerated, but still, you see my concern. It only takes 1 dog – my dog, for it to devastate me. But what I’m trying to work out is the likelihood of it happening.

Guide Dog Poisoned by 1080:
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0306/S00016.htm

1080 action call after pet death - I saw this one in the Wairarapa Times (http://wairarapa.co.nz/times-age/new...%20pet%20death) :

This one on One News, where another woman’s dog was poisoned after eating a possum: http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_det...69-1-7,00.html

What also raises a question, is why the Royal Society of NZ is campaigning to get this stuff banned in areas where dogs live because it’s not safe to them. It KILLS dogs and it is a horrifying death for sure, that is FACT, not make believe, not trolls, not bridges, PURE FACT.

I have also received an email from the Department of Conservation stating that they use this stuff on beach sand dunes. Now you tell me, why the heck should I NOT be worried?

I think I’ve pacified you quite enough.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:26 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

If it helps at all we have a dog and lived at the beach. Our dog never got ill or ate anything he shouldnt have, except seaweed. I wouldnt worry too much. Just keep them on leash where you see the warning signs posted.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:41 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Think this one has run its course now...everybody done??...goodo...