Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Well it had to happen

Well it had to happen

Old Jan 28th 2006, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice
Default Well it had to happen

Well it had to happen after living in nz for nearly 2 years and supplementing our income with british pounds we brought with us from our house sale we are having to live on the kiwi dollar as the pounds are almost gone.Looks like we will have to tighten the purse strings alot !!

I thought this could be a light hearted thread on ways to economise in nz and a chance to hear how others have found ways to cope.

OH has bought a cheap fishing rod from Kmart and has gone out with a kiwi mate to catch us supper
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:28 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well it had to happen

I've heard road kill makes good eating
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:00 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Learn how to cook from scratch, use trade me for buying stuff and if you have any bits hanging about sell them on trade me.

Personally, if you have had to supplement your income for the last 2 years I would be wondering if you can afford to stay in NZ.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

Originally Posted by scottish
Learn how to cook from scratch, use trade me for buying stuff and if you have any bits hanging about sell them on trade me.

Personally, if you have had to supplement your income for the last 2 years I would be wondering if you can afford to stay in NZ.
Our outgoings have been higher than they would normally be as we have had a lot of family come over to stay with us since we have been here so household bills have been higher than they would normally be .We also feel that when kiwis hear a british accent you can sometimes be charged more than would be normal. We have twice been ripped off by mechanics. We have also met kind Kiwis who have made us welcome . We have made mistakes along the way and maybe if we knew what we know now we would have done somethings differently but life is not like that.
I agree you can get some good buys on trade me .Some kiwi friends of ours have been buying clothes off it and they have had good bargains
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:03 am

Try and stick it out another year until at least you get citizenship then see how you fee.

good luck

ps where abouts in Tauranga are you???
Old Jan 29th 2006, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

KiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to all

Doesn't it take 5 years of residency to get Citizenship? Or am I mistaken.

Anyway - good thread - we'll be on a budget so am interested in any good ideas for saving the pennies.... or should I say cents?
Old Jan 29th 2006, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottish
Try and stick it out another year until at least you get citizenship then see how you fee.

good luck

ps where abouts in Tauranga are you???
We are in Ohauiti next to Welcome Bay. We have a nice house with great views (You can see the Mount from our dining room window)
For anyone who enjoys a drink a cheaper alternative to Stella or Heinikan is
New Zealand lager only $15.99 for 15 bottles you can get it at most bottle shops.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by KiwiDollie

Anyway - good thread - we'll be on a budget so am interested in any good ideas for saving the pennies.... or should I say cents?
That only applies to people applying as of last year (cant remember the date).

Hope it all works out for you. We were in Papamoa and loved it.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

jemmad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tauranga

Hi there, was advised from others in the forum that you were the person to speak to regarding relocating to Tauranga? - What is it like? is there good job opportunities? - my partner is in logistics/supply chain and i work in a secondary school - managerial position. Do you have any advice to offer with regards to moving to Tauranga?
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KiwiDollie

It's 5 years if you were granted PR on or after 21st April 2005. 3 years if before.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:31 pm
turkeytickler

A diet of 2 minute noodles and pre cooked sausages from pack and slave should see you through the worst of it....