Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

100% Pure Rip-off NZ

100% Pure Rip-off NZ

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 100% Pure Rip-off NZ

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I missed the program but just watched it here:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Travel-expens...7/Default.aspx

The bread has me stumped as well, Tescos medium white sliced bread 800g is 0.74p the closest to that would be something like Countdown's Signature range - white toast bread 700g $2.19 which would work out an exchange rate of $2.95 to the pound for 100 grams less bread. Go figure!!

ETA: Hmm it gets worse the more you look:

The cheapest 'Value' bread from Tescos is 47p for 600g
The cheapest 'Home Brand' from Countdown is $1.45 for 600g

A fairer deal, for the same size crap bread? No way, unless the exchange rate is over $3.085 to the pound.
$4.69 for something decent!! Most expensive at Tesco would be $2.90.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
2 litres of full fat milk can be got here for $2.98
Cheapest in our shop is $3.55 (NW Budget)
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut
Doh, my mistake, it's a 2 ltr carton of milk for a quid.
Alas we have to pay the international price for milk. One assumes Asda does too. I wonder if this is a loss leader or are we being ripped off in NZ for this staple?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:16 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You have to remember that Britain has the benefit of being part of the EC with all the subsidies that affords them, NZ has to trade outside of that market. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why NZ is so expensive?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
You have to remember that Britain has the benefit of being part of the EC with all the subsidies that affords them, NZ has to trade outside of that market. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why NZ is so expensive?
I figure NZ is expensive because it has a small and widely distriubuted population which makes the strong purchasing power available to British high street shops, simply unavailable to NZ shops and distributers.

NZ is a reasonably priced holiday destination (once you have bought the ticket at least) but living here is more expenisve when considering cost of living relative to income.

But as many others on here have pointed out, the financial dynamic is only one consideration when evaluating life here.

On balance, I like it!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Cheapest in our shop is $3.55 (NW Budget)
There's such a lot of variations in the price of milk, the cheapest I get is the same budget label in P&S at $3.45

Countdown's Signature Range is $3.94

Anchor and Meadowfresh brands are a ridiculous $4.59 - presumably it's the same milk as the Budget label, but in a slightly sturdier carton. How they justify charging over $1 more for it, sure beats me.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

There's little doubt prices of many basics are dearer in the supermarket in NZ, mainly profitering no doubt. The picture's complicated by NZ putting GST on food which for basics is VAT free in the UK, so there's 12.5% diff soon to be 15% to start.
Also ridiculous is the no. of short term 'specials' where items are reduced by a $1 or two, and then hiked back up again. This makes prices difficult to compare.

The main problem with the supermarket's though is lack of competition, it's a duopoly with 2 chains having 90% of the market. I don't the historic reasons on how that was allowed to happen, but it's ridiculous.

It's the same with electrical goods and tyre fitting chains, different trading names, same owners.

The idea of the 'specials' is typified by Kathamandu the outdoor gear shop, who must have a sale every other month (and probably more frequent) reducing prices by 30% and more. Anyone who buys something from them at their normal prices must be mad.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I would complain about the repeat script thing. Unless of course he/she had a GENUINE reason to see you afore repeating pills. I have gotten repeat script up to a 3rd time without a consultation. Did I misunderstand the dental bit The nursecharged you $15 to show you the YPs????????????????????
The pills were originally prescribed by 2 UK consultants (one lot over 10 years ago the other changed over 3 years ago) No medical advancement in either case and have to take them for life.
The GP is merely a tool , which I have to ask for repeat. They tell me I have to be seen every 6 months no matter what, if I'm on long term medication.

I kid you not Genesis, I mentioned a problem I was having with a wisdom tooth (don't laugh- I'm a late developer!) I asked if she could recommend a dentist- she said the practice nurse would be able to help as she lived in the area.
I went back to the waiting room, then was called through to the nurse's station, where she went through the yellow pages with me and advised me to ring round and check if they were taking on new patients and ask their prices.
Less than 5 mins--$15.

No wonder there is such a reliance on herbal remedies and DIY dentistry!

Why can't you get a 6 month supply of medicines?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:10 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
There's little doubt prices of many basics are dearer in the supermarket in NZ, mainly profitering no doubt. The picture's complicated by NZ putting GST on food which for basics is VAT free in the UK, so there's 12.5% diff soon to be 15% to start.
Also ridiculous is the no. of short term 'specials' where items are reduced by a $1 or two, and then hiked back up again. This makes prices difficult to compare.

The main problem with the supermarket's though is lack of competition, it's a duopoly with 2 chains having 90% of the market. I don't the historic reasons on how that was allowed to happen, but it's ridiculous.

It's the same with electrical goods and tyre fitting chains, different trading names, same owners.

The idea of the 'specials' is typified by Kathamandu the outdoor gear shop, who must have a sale every other month (and probably more frequent) reducing prices by 30% and more. Anyone who buys something from them at their normal prices must be mad.
Check out the DFS sale in the UK it started 5 years before NZ was discovered and will keep on going even if DFS go bust!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Anchor and Meadowfresh brands are a ridiculous $4.59
We pay $5.00 for 2 x 2 litre cartons.
Anchor and meadowfresh are both Fontera brands which might explain the high cost.
Not all milk comes from the same supplier and some charge more than others.
Most Fontera brands are expensive but there are lots of alternatives out there.