Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The $100,000 rule for work to residency?

The $100,000 rule for work to residency?

Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:20 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy The $100,000 rule for work to residency?

Hello - we're about to submit our EOI without a job offer, we've been told by someone who went through the process (and got declined for health reasons) that if you don't have a job offer and they choose to give you a work to residency you have to land in NZ with $100,000 to support yourself and your family over the two year period, in case you don't get a job. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:48 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The $100,000 rule for work to residency?

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Hello - we're about to submit our EOI without a job offer, we've been told by someone who went through the process (and got declined for health reasons) that if you don't have a job offer and they choose to give you a work to residency you have to land in NZ with $100,000 to support yourself and your family over the two year period, in case you don't get a job. Does anyone know if this is true?
Haven't heard that one myself but this is the link to the NZIS page on Work to Residency if you want to check it out (if you haven't already of course!!)

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rktoresidence/

Let us know if you find anything out won't you!!!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

I thought you needed a job offer to get a Work to Residency visa? Isnt that the crieteria for a Work to Residency Visa, ie genuine job offer from accredited company, $45k salary minimum etc...
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:52 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

If you apply for PR with the minimum points level or above, with no job offer then the possible outcomes are
Rejected at some stage of the process
Offered PR
Offered Work visa

If you have no job offer then you will undoubtably be interviewed over the phone. IF you have done your resaerch on why you want to move to NZ and how you plan to find work and support yourself and family then you should be offered PR.
I haven't come across anyone having to have a minimum $ to enter the country on anything other than an investor category.
You should be fine.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

I think this may come from the old system - we applied under the old system, which seems alittle less complicated than it is now - and yu got extra points for bringing in over $100,000. I don't think it was a 'must have' rather than a 'nice to have' to increase your points for application. Sorry not much help - but the only I can think of
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:01 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: The $100,000 rule for work to residency?

Thanks everyone for your replies, it's put my mind at rest. Our friend got the info from one of the many immigration guide books apparently, so it's more than likely out of date. EOI almost ready to go, so should be in the pool for the next draw, just waiting for a few dates to be confirmed for work experience then it's fingers and eyes crossed whilst we wait in the pool. Here's hoping!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:23 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your replies, it's put my mind at rest. Our friend got the info from one of the many immigration guide books apparently, so it's more than likely out of date. EOI almost ready to go, so should be in the pool for the next draw, just waiting for a few dates to be confirmed for work experience then it's fingers and eyes crossed whilst we wait in the pool. Here's hoping!
Good luck...fingers and eyes crossed for you....
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Good luck...fingers and eyes crossed for you....

Well if they don't let us in on the EOI without a job offer (if the policies don't change before then we should be fine) then hubby will have to come over on his own until he lands a job. I'll miss the bugger, but at least the remote control will be all mine!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:58 pm
Don't let me get me....

Well if they don't let us in on the EOI without a job offer (if the policies don't change before then we should be fine) then hubby will have to come over on his own until he lands a job. I'll miss the bugger, but at least the remote control will be all mine!
Sounds like a plan to me!!!

If its any reassurance to you we got selected without a job offer....if we don't pass muster with the ITA then we will be going on a very long 'holiday' to NZ and will hopefully be able to find work and get a visa that way!!!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 4:13 pm

Sounds like a plan to me!!!

If its any reassurance to you we got selected without a job offer....if we don't pass muster with the ITA then we will be going on a very long 'holiday' to NZ and will hopefully be able to find work and get a visa that way!!!

VERY REASSURING! It's nice to know people are getting to ITA stage without job offers. Are you on any of the skilled shortages list though? That's our biggest problem, we're not, Steve's a Property Manager/Housing Officer, and his qualification has been pre-assessed at level 6, which should stand us in good stead.

I'm so chuffed I found this forum, not as chuffed as my colleagues who are ready to ban the NZ word from the office though.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 4:26 pm
Don't let me get me....

VERY REASSURING! It's nice to know people are getting to ITA stage without job offers. Are you on any of the skilled shortages list though? That's our biggest problem, we're not, Steve's a Property Manager/Housing Officer, and his qualification has been pre-assessed at level 6, which should stand us in good stead.

I'm so chuffed I found this forum, not as chuffed as my colleagues who are ready to ban the NZ word from the office though.
I think we are on the shortages list but must check to see if they've changed at all!!! I do know of people who've got through without being on the list though - as long as you have the points that you've claimed you should be ok I think.....

We've only told a few very close friends (trying to keep it under wraps as long as possible due to work and family potentially kicking off!!!) but God help the lot of them if we do get the green light or should I say the blue sticker!!!

I reckon I'll be drummed out of the office on the first day that I get the go ahead to start telling everyone about the wonders of New Zealand!! They'll probably all be very excited at first but then I think after the 1000th mention I'll probably become quite unpopular!!! but who cares!!!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 4:40 pm

I think we are on the shortages list but must check to see if they've changed at all!!! I do know of people who've got through without being on the list though - as long as you have the points that you've claimed you should be ok I think.....

We've only told a few very close friends (trying to keep it under wraps as long as possible due to work and family potentially kicking off!!!) but God help the lot of them if we do get the green light or should I say the blue sticker!!!

I reckon I'll be drummed out of the office on the first day that I get the go ahead to start telling everyone about the wonders of New Zealand!! They'll probably all be very excited at first but then I think after the 1000th mention I'll probably become quite unpopular!!! but who cares!!!
How the hell have you kept it quiet? We were determined to do that, but I realised I really needed the support of friends and family and my mum being my mum I knew she'd be gutted if we told her a month or so before we went. The woman needs advance notice to organise a farewell party! (Which she'd better do!) I'm so glad I told everyone because now people know it's a great excuse for the cock ups I keep making in work.

Good luck to you in telling yours. I started off with 'I've got some news, but it's not that Chris (my teenage lad) has got a girl pregnant .....' . After that, it was a breeze.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 5:36 pm
Don't let me get me....

How the hell have you kept it quiet? We were determined to do that, but I realised I really needed the support of friends and family and my mum being my mum I knew she'd be gutted if we told her a month or so before we went. The woman needs advance notice to organise a farewell party! (Which she'd better do!) I'm so glad I told everyone because now people know it's a great excuse for the cock ups I keep making in work.

Good luck to you in telling yours. I started off with 'I've got some news, but it's not that Chris (my teenage lad) has got a girl pregnant .....' . After that, it was a breeze.
It has been hard but my two best friends (and everyone on here who knows!!) have been really supportive and the only thing they both said was "When can we come for our holidays then!!!"

But we have many reasons for not blabbing just yet!!! My OH's boss would not be at all pleased if he heard that we were upping sticks and he is quite a vindictive little horror so we don't want to rock the boat there just yet...he takes people leaving the company as a personal slight!!! Silly little man, but he pays our bills at the moment so heyho....

Family...well, where do you start with them...we thought about moving to Scotland a while back and the reaction we got to that was rather unpleasant so I can only imagine the comments I'm going to get when they find out we're going south - and a long way south at that!!!

I have a friend who is emigrating on FRIDAY to Oz and some of her family have reacted the same way that mine would i.e. What do you want to do that for...It's no better there than it is here....You won't know anyone...What about the kids.....We'll never see you again....We think you're being incredibly selfish......and the list goes on and on and on!!! Her only sibling has disowned her!!! She wishes that she hadn't given them quite so much time to try and wear her down!!!

I plan to tell family once we have the blue stickers in our passports so that it isn't in any way up for discussion...because it isn't up for discussion!!! We have decided that this is what we want for our family and I just hope that they will give us their blessing and wish us well....if they don't, well, c'est la vie,.....
Old Jun 15th 2005, 6:22 pm

It has been hard but my two best friends (and everyone on here who knows!!) have been really supportive and the only thing they both said was "When can we come for our holidays then!!!"

But we have many reasons for not blabbing just yet!!! My OH's boss would not be at all pleased if he heard that we were upping sticks and he is quite a vindictive little horror so we don't want to rock the boat there just yet...he takes people leaving the company as a personal slight!!! Silly little man, but he pays our bills at the moment so heyho....

Family...well, where do you start with them...we thought about moving to Scotland a while back and the reaction we got to that was rather unpleasant so I can only imagine the comments I'm going to get when they find out we're going south - and a long way south at that!!!

I have a friend who is emigrating on FRIDAY to Oz and some of her family have reacted the same way that mine would i.e. What do you want to do that for...It's no better there than it is here....You won't know anyone...What about the kids.....We'll never see you again....We think you're being incredibly selfish......and the list goes on and on and on!!! Her only sibling has disowned her!!! She wishes that she hadn't given them quite so much time to try and wear her down!!!

I plan to tell family once we have the blue stickers in our passports so that it isn't in any way up for discussion...because it isn't up for discussion!!! We have decided that this is what we want for our family and I just hope that they will give us their blessing and wish us well....if they don't, well, c'est la vie,.....
Good for you, you can't live your life for other people.

Do you know what the criteria is for landing once you get the go-ahead, like if they say you've got PR do you have to enter the country within four months or so?
Old Jun 15th 2005, 6:32 pm
Don't let me get me....

Good for you, you can't live your life for other people.

Do you know what the criteria is for landing once you get the go-ahead, like if they say you've got PR do you have to enter the country within four months or so?
No you certainly can't, learnt that the hard way!!

As far as I'm aware, if you get PR you have a year from the day you get your stickers in which to validate your visa
(i.e. enter the country) ...
this doesn't mean that you have to be living in NZ within a year it just means you have to have been to NZ at least once within that year...
you then have up to a further 2 years from your validation date to move over and become resident I think...someone please correct me if you know different!!!

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jun 15th 2005 at 6:34 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.