Yorkshire

Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of
Default Re: Yorkshire

been back in S Yorkshire since Feb 1, 2011

It has been brilliant!! Now things are getting a little more settled I can say it is awes-mazing (quoting one of my kids words)

The people are friendly, perhaps thinking i am a little crazy for coming back from Canada. But I just tell em - I love it here and how great I think it is. Oft the response is them thinking i AM crazy -but then i see them stand a little straighter and look proud of our country and little town.

The kids love their school, not the best one in the area, but they are fitting in and in all the top classes. The oldest is back with the kids he grew up with. I think that makes all the difference.

Freecycle has been amazing too. Funny for as cheap as us Yorkshire people are... they are willing to give away alot of good stuff.

Despite the fish and chip diet :-P.... i have lost a 2 whole dress sizes!! just from walking everywhere... I seem to do that more here. The air is great, the weather is lovely... and i am happy.

Moving back was the best move yet. I hope that everyone who gives it go - has the luck I have had.

xx
reeni
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by reeni

The people are friendly, perhaps thinking i am a little crazy for coming back from Canada. But I just tell em - I love it here and how great I think it is. Oft the response is them thinking i AM crazy -but then i see them stand a little straighter and look proud of our country and little town.

reeni
Everyone says "why did you come back" but ask them if they have ever lived in Canada. At the best, some of them have visited Niagara Falls.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Everyone says "why did you come back" but ask them if they have ever lived in Canada. At the best, some of them have visited Niagara Falls.
When I'm in the UK and anyone says they'd love to leave 'this dump' etc...I always ask if they've ever lived anywhere else...the answer is always no.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:12 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reeni

It has been brilliant!! Now things are getting a little more settled I can say it is awes-mazing (quoting one of my kids words)

The kids love their school, not the best one in the area, but they are fitting in and in all the top classes. The oldest is back with the kids he grew up with. I think that makes all the difference.

Freecycle has been amazing too. Funny for as cheap as us Yorkshire people are... they are willing to give away alot of good stuff.

Despite the fish and chip diet :-P.... i have lost a 2 whole dress sizes!! just from walking everywhere... I seem to do that more here. The air is great, the weather is lovely... and i am happy.

Moving back was the best move yet. I hope that everyone who gives it go - has the luck I have had.

xx
reeni
Oh how great to hear from you! I have been wondering how things were going for you. It's great to read such a happy update
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

So funny you should say this, some people I was talking to just today told me they had been to Canada last summer and absolutely loved it. They had been to Niagara Falls, Niagara on the Lake and to a huge 5 bedroom cottage on the lakefront north of Toronto.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
So funny you should say this, some people I was talking to just today told me they had been to Canada last summer and absolutely loved it. They had been to Niagara Falls, Niagara on the Lake and to a huge 5 bedroom cottage on the lakefront north of Toronto.
Lakefront home north of T.O....where would that be...surely not Lake Ontario?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 21st 2011 at 1:23 am.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Lakefront home north of T.O....where would that be...surely not Lake Ontario?
I think it may have been Georgian Bay.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I think it may have been Georgian Bay.
Thanks...I was comparing a Toronto lakefront property on Lake Ontario.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Of course, and if you came to the UK and only visited Dorset or the Sussex coast, you would also have a slanted view. We have some Russian friends from St. Petersburg which is quite a nice city. They have a daughter who is doing a course in Bournemouth and she likes the UK so much she wants to stay. They should send her to do a course in Middlesborough next. But, to her credit, she sees many of the positive aspects of the UK which many who live there do not.

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 21st 2011 at 9:25 am.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

But, to her credit, she sees many of the positive aspects of the UK which many who live there do not.
Amen. I think this is a gift all returning ex-pats can give their families and friends. I have a friend who returned from Spain after years living there. She's dating another friend of mine and taking him all over England exploring. He has a whole new appreciation because of her enthusiasm and love of the country. Brits, and I say this with the greatest possible affection, need to pull their heads out their asses once in a while and look around.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

corinamac has a spectacular aura aboutcorinamac has a spectacular aura aboutcorinamac has a spectacular aura about

Check out Snaith, it is really lovely with a wonderful community feel, we came back from Oz and settled straight back in. Good High school too.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Amen. I think this is a gift all returning ex-pats can give their families and friends. I have a friend who returned from Spain after years living there. She's dating another friend of mine and taking him all over England exploring. He has a whole new appreciation because of her enthusiasm and love of the country. Brits, and I say this with the greatest possible affection, need to pull their heads out their asses once in a while and look around.
or maybe pull their heads out of their TVs and newspapers for a while to get a reality check!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

The biggest thing they do not understand is how healthcare works abroad. In the UK, for 104 pounds per year, you can get unlimited free prescriptions at point of service. And even this fee is waived for some. They assume the whole World works like this.

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 22nd 2011 at 3:32 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 12:07 pm
Finally Home!

The biggest thing they do not understand is how healthcare works abroad. In the UK, for 104 pounds per year, you can get unlimited free prescriptions at point of service. And even this fee is waived for some. They assume the whole World works like this.
That's true and because of that, they can't understand the nagging fear that lies at the back of everyone's mind here in the US: "what if I get really sick and the insurance company won't pay?" Or if you don't have insurance, just "what if I get really sick?"
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's true and because of that, they can't understand the nagging fear that lies at the back of everyone's mind here in the US: "what if I get really sick and the insurance company won't pay?" Or if you don't have insurance, just "what if I get really sick?"
Even when I lived in Canada, they had a credible health care system along the lines of the NHS. The problem was with your medications. If you did not have a job with a drug plan, then you would have to buy your medications at market prices. Depending on your needs, this could be very expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.