View Poll Results: Are your views of BREXIT stopping you moving/planning to move back to the UK
Yes
41.46%
No
58.54%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No?

Old Dec 11th 2018, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all
Default Re: Yes or No?

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I don't think you'll need to be rich to retire there - if you have a pension and enough to buy or rent a house, I suspect the Spanish will be OK - it's not like you'll have any recourse to Spanish income benefits and your healthcare will be paid by the NHS.
With Brexit, the UK will no longer be a member of EHIC, so, no, the NHS won't be paying their medical bills.

Given that most Brits who move to Spain are retirees and at the stage of life where they consume more healthcare resources than younger people, they'll have to have the money to pay for private insurance (which comes with its own hurdles with pre-existing conditions, etc).

The scary part is, many of these retirees on the Costa Del Sol are Brexiteers, despite the obvious irony and hypocrisy involved.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

ab.kelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
The scary part is, many of these retirees on the Costa Del Sol are Brexiteers, despite the obvious irony and hypocrisy involved.
Yes ... always thought that a bit strange!

Well, there'll be a lot of navel-gazing going on when they're tucking into their roast beef and Yorkshire puds in the many 'British' eateries lining the Cost Del Sol now, I'm thinking...
Old Dec 11th 2018, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

With Brexit, the UK will no longer be a member of EHIC, so, no, the NHS won't be paying their medical bills.

Given that most Brits who move to Spain are retirees and at the stage of life where they consume more healthcare resources than younger people, they'll have to have the money to pay for private insurance (which comes with its own hurdles with pre-existing conditions, etc).

It's a business and as long as it's still cheaper to do the hip replacement in Spain, the NHS will pay? Spain will also be happy to get the money, so I don't see a problem there. EHIC is also just for temporary visits, but it's not called EUHIC. You are still in Europe, after Brexit.

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 11th 2018 at 2:50 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 2:48 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think EHIC covered retirees medical costs in the past (EHIC is for travellers, not residents) - to my knowledge retirees with pensions were covered under a different system of S1.

I'm sure the UK will agree with Spain a continuation of the system whereby retirees medical costs can be reimbursed to the Spanish medical system by the NHS - why wouldn't they?
Old Dec 11th 2018, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

EHIC is not confined to EU Iceland accepts it for example and is not in EU There is still hope that a negoitaed BREXIT or better still a CANCELLED BREXIT will mean that we can iuse EHIC as travellers
Old Dec 11th 2018, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

I don't think EHIC covered retirees medical costs in the past (EHIC is for travellers, not residents) - to my knowledge retirees with pensions were covered under a different system of S1.

I'm sure the UK will agree with Spain a continuation of the system whereby retirees medical costs can be reimbursed to the Spanish medical system by the NHS - why wouldn't they?
Depends on what the Brexit deal ends up being.

If it's a full-on WTO hard Brexit, then all bets are off and it's not likely that there'll be any reciprocity in healthcare provision whatsoever. It'll take years to negotiate everything that will come of that.

Right now, the most likely outcome, since the Maybot's deal is dead in the water, is probably Norway++ (ie, EEA with customs union membership), if that does end up being the case then things will probably carry on mostly as they are now, just without the UK having a seat at the EU table.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you'll need to be rich to retire there - if you have a pension and enough to buy or rent a house, I suspect the Spanish will be OK - it's not like you'll have any recourse to Spanish income benefits and your healthcare will be paid by the NHS.
Spain currently requires non EU citizens applying for non lucrative visas (including retirees) to have a minimum annual income of €25,560 for a single person, plus €6,390 for each additional family member (ie a total annual income for a couple of €31,950). That would rule out a significant proportion of the people who have retired here under EU freedom of movement rules. There is no reason whatsoever to suppose that Spain would not apply the same rules to UK citizens once the UK becomes a third country.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...nLucrative.pdf
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:11 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Spain currently requires non EU citizens applying for non lucrative visas (including retirees) to have a minimum annual income of €25,560 for a single person, plus €6,390 for each additional family member (ie a total annual income for a couple of €31,950). That would rule out a significant proportion of the people who have retired here under EU freedom of movement rules. There is no reason whatsoever to suppose that Spain would not apply the same rules to UK citizens once the UK becomes a third country.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...nLucrative.pdf
As I said, you don't need to be rich, just average.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...me-19-900.html

People retiring this year expect an annual income of £19,900 - a 10 per cent jump on last year after bumper stock market returns helped to boost retirement pots.

Average expected retirement incomes - including money from state and private pensions, savings and investments - have now risen consistently since 2013 when they hit a low of £15,300.
Looks like an average for two people would be £39,800 or around Euro44K.

Other data suggests a lower average - £29,952 for a couple - Euro33K
https://www.pensionbee.com/blog/2018...ple?ast=5PG7ld
Data from the Department for Work and Pensions analysed earlier this year showed that the average UK retired couple has a weekly income of £576 or £29,952 a year,
This seems to show that the average retirees will meet the current hurdle, although clearly those below average may not.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

This seems to show that the average retirees will meet the current hurdle, although clearly those below average may not.
Still requires people to have a private pension - those who have only the state pension to rely on are out.

The pound will also be worth less than it is now assuming a hard Brexit, so any UK-sourced income will be worth less in Euros than it is today.

Then, as previously mentioned, there's going to be the possibility/likelihood of having to pay for health insurance.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 3:55 pm
Democracy advocate

Still requires people to have a private pension - those who have only the state pension to rely on are out.

The pound will also be worth less than it is now assuming a hard Brexit, so any UK-sourced income will be worth less in Euros than it is today.

Then, as previously mentioned, there's going to be the possibility/likelihood of having to pay for health insurance.
You said:
Brexit risks throwing us back to the time when living abroad was only for the rich.
I'm merely pointing-out that it will likely be for the average, not the rich.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Those bumper stock market returns which boosted pension pots will not have proved so wonderful for those retiring in the near future, after the state of the markets over the last few months.

It will be hard luck for the people who would once have looked forward to being able to retire to a country where their income in retirement would go further, simply because their income is below average in the UK. And averages are skewed by a small proportion of people having extremely high pensions. I thought the Brexiteers pretended to be concerned about the "left behind" and the "just about managing", not adopting the complacent attitude that as long as people on average incomes are OK, everything is fine.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 5:50 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Those bumper stock market returns which boosted pension pots will not have proved so wonderful for those retiring in the near future, after the state of the markets over the last few months.

It will be hard luck for the people who would once have looked forward to being able to retire to a country where their income in retirement would go further, simply because their income is below average in the UK. And averages are skewed by a small proportion of people having extremely high pensions. I thought the Brexiteers pretended to be concerned about the "left behind" and the "just about managing", not adopting the complacent attitude that as long as people on average incomes are OK, everything is fine.
I'm a remain voter, just pointing-out facts rather than wild supposition. It's better for those planning to come back to know the reality, your post on Spanish income levels required was useful, I'm surprised it was that high, perhaps they'll create another category.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

It's strengthened my OH's desire to never return..... maybe we need a new poll...who will be the next PM!
Old Dec 12th 2018, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
It's strengthened my OH's desire to never return..... maybe we need a new poll...who will be the next PM!
I wonder how people feel on the Isles of Scilly. I'm sure life goes on:-) https://www.visitislesofscilly.com/
Old Dec 12th 2018, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Still Game
I think Treeza will scrape through this no confidence vote by the skin of her teeth, but her authority and credibility are shot.

Then there's Corbyn angling for an election - I've always been a Labour man, and Corbyn was a vital voice for the left wing of Labour on the back benches, but he's not much of a leader. He's been pathetic with Brexit, in particular. If Keir Starmer or even Emily Thornberry were Labour leader then it'd be a whole different story.

I still think the whole Brexit thing will end up being a last-minute settlement on Norway++. It's the only thing that a majority of Parliament could agree on. It's still technically Brexit (ie, referendum result satisfied), but without most of the harm and disruption.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.