Xmas homesickness

Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:31 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Xmas homesickness

Christmas eve in Australia and I have never felt so homesick and sad in my life.

I just know tomorrow is going to be crap - this is like my 25th year away from the UK and I've been really homesick for the last 10 of those, xmas is always the worst.

TV here is rubbish, no xmas specials, no seasonal programs, no nice churches or cathedrals to go to midnight mass, i used to not appreciate all that when i was a kid but I would give ANYTHING to be able to go to the midnight service at Dawlish parish church tonight and i'm not even religious.

I miss everything about a traditional english xmas, the shopping, the xmas trees, the carol singers, the snow, the rain, the cold, all of it.

Ho Hum, not really much to add just wanted to get it off my chest, don't really want to spoil the rest of the families xmas day here so i will put on my best mask and pretend to enjoy a stinking hot day and their crappy BBQ and pavlova.

very merry xmas to all expats around the world feeling this way tonight, my heart is with you all.

kevin
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:00 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xmas homesickness

Comin' right back at ya ! 31deg Centigrade here in Wanganui near Wellington NZ today. Carol service in a sweltering hot church. I could go on. However. Good luck.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:07 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Feel sure that we shall think of you, we who have wandered forth,
And many a million thoughts will go to-day from south to north;
Old heads will muse on churches old, where bells will ring to-day—
The very bells, perchance, which tolled their fathers to the clay.

And now, good-night! and I shall dream that I am with you all,
Watching the ruddy embers gleam athwart the panelled hall;
Nor care I if I dream or not, though severed by the foam,
My heart is always in the spot which was my childhood's home.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomikev
Christmas eve in Australia and I have never felt so homesick and sad in my life.

I just know tomorrow is going to be crap - this is like my 25th year away from the UK and I've been really homesick for the last 10 of those, xmas is always the worst.

TV here is rubbish, no xmas specials, no seasonal programs, no nice churches or cathedrals to go to midnight mass, i used to not appreciate all that when i was a kid but I would give ANYTHING to be able to go to the midnight service at Dawlish parish church tonight and i'm not even religious.

I miss everything about a traditional english xmas, the shopping, the xmas trees, the carol singers, the snow, the rain, the cold, all of it.

Ho Hum, not really much to add just wanted to get it off my chest, don't really want to spoil the rest of the families xmas day here so i will put on my best mask and pretend to enjoy a stinking hot day and their crappy BBQ and pavlova.

very merry xmas to all expats around the world feeling this way tonight, my heart is with you all.

kevin
Preaching to the converted here Kev, but you carry on mate, we've all been there (21 yrs for me before moving back).

Xmas is the worst, but we're with you in spirit and focus on the good things
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:49 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

kevin
Happy crimbo ya whinging pom
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 24th 2012, 1:46 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Xmas is always hard when you are feeling homesick. This is my 5th Xmas here in Oz and my 3rd one all alone - poor me, poor me, pour me a drink - nope can't even have one of those cos I'm on call - dammit!!!!

I've just got back from a call out, nearly one in the morning, its stinking hot and I'm stuck on a remote station in the tropics by myself. I'm already hearing calls going out on the radio for attempted suicides in the nearest big town a few hours away - so sad - I hate the way this time of year seems to puts so much pressure on people.

Well this time next year I will be HOME having a proper British Xmas and hopefully lots of you returnees on here will too but for now I'm just going to make the best of it. Nice food, Xmas movies and I'm going for a drive on the beach tomorrow to let any kids down there have their photo taken with my ambulance, got a bag of lollies to hand out too lol! I'll be hanging out for 6 pm when I can Skype the family and finally open my pressies - oh yes!!!

So Merry Xmas everyone wherever you are and whatever your circumstances are, hope you all have a good one!

Last edited by MissBetty; Dec 24th 2012 at 2:13 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Xmas is always hard when you are feeling homesick. This is my 5th Xmas here in Oz and my 3rd one all alone - poor me, poor me, pour me a drink - nope can't even have one of those cos I'm on call - dammit!!!!

I've just got back from a call out, nearly one in the morning, its stinking hot and I'm stuck on a remote station in the tropics by myself. I'm already hearing calls going out on the radio for attempted suicides in the nearest big town a few hours away - so sad - I hate the way this time of year seems to puts so much pressure on people.

Well this time next year I will be HOME having a proper British Xmas and hopefully lots of you returnees on here will too but for now I'm just going to make the best of it. Nice food, Xmas movies and I'm going for a drive on the beach tomorrow to let any kids down there have their photo taken with my ambulance, got a bag of lollies to hand out too lol! I'll be hanging out for 6 pm when I can Skype the family and finally open my pressies - oh yes!!!

So Merry Xmas everyone wherever you are and whatever your circumstances are, hope you all have a good one!
What a lovely generous message from you MissBetty, I hope your day is rewarded with smiles and thanks.
Have a lovely day
x
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Got the t shirt for that one Kev (32 years for me and now on my second "proper" Christmas back where I belong). It doesnt get better IMHO just another crappy barbie opportunity. Hope you can find some good in the day and meanwhile, put plans into place for a real Christmas down the track!
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Got the t shirt for that one Kev (32 years for me and now on my second "proper" Christmas back where I belong). It doesnt get better IMHO just another crappy barbie opportunity. Hope you can find some good in the day and meanwhile, put plans into place for a real Christmas down the track!
Tenth Christmas.

Me, several wine bottles, imported Asda Christmas puddings and old reruns of Fools & Horses.

Roll on 2013........
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:58 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I get you. 5th Christmas here and thankfully my last

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY

Roll on 2013
Old Dec 24th 2012, 7:23 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We are hoping this is our last Christmas away from UK so right there with you Kev.
No chance of a visit back home any time soon for you?
Heres hoping 2013 is good one for everybody.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:57 pm
Banned

No - no chance of a visit, just can't afford the luxury, was poor when I left and will be poor when I return, but being British, I know my place
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:13 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conniewalker
What a lovely generous message from you MissBetty, I hope your day is rewarded with smiles and thanks.
Have a lovely day
x
Thanks very much, hope you have a great day too! x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.