Would you still uproot?

Old Dec 8th 2007, 2:06 am
  #46  
In yonder hills
Thread Starter
 
britex01's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Nr. Lincoln, England
Posts: 4,132
britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

To me home is where my Husband Sons and Dogs are
That answers one of my questions!

I guess the point i'm trying to make is that it was my choice to come here and I choose to be happy in the moment
Nice sentiment... living and enjoying for the moment. I think folk 'think' too much ahead of time. Like me for example! On this matter, anyway ..
britex01 is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 2:07 am
  #47  
@matthewb76
 
Manc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 21,886
Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by britex01 View Post
If you had known what you have lived and experienced today BEFORE taking the plunge to live and work in the US, would you still uproot?

---
hell no.
Manc is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 5:03 am
  #48  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by Manc View Post
hell no.
What he said.
Rushman is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 5:09 am
  #49  
Ivegotta Member
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 900
Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by Rushman View Post
What he said.
What both them said!
Triumphrob is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 5:33 am
  #50  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: UK,US,Japan
Posts: 29
Brit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really nice
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

To Japan, yes
To America, no

And here's why:

America was full of loudmouths and braggarts. Oh, I forgot the in your face religious nuts as well. Puritanical attitudes to sex and alcohol were woven into the society and culture - what a bunch of boring feckers.

Too much mindless patriotism, idiocy masquerading as "tradition", lack of irony and humour, fake posturing and phoney friendship, macho culture, guns, fat feckers, arggghhh! the list could go on and on.

All of which is not to say there weren't a few individual Americans who were on my wave length, but as a whole that country was a major disappointment.

Japan is ****** weird too, but their weirdness is much more in sync with my own. One of the best things here is the zero influence of Old Testament morality and Puritanism. Liberal attitudes to drinking, sex, not boasting all the time, not stuffing your fat face full of crap "food', women who are women and keep their figures even after childbirth... I like it here!

Unfortunately they work insanely long hours, but then so do the puritanical yanks. At least the Japanese know how to enjoy themselves.
Brit_far_from_home is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 5:39 am
  #51  
Lapine Member
 
snowbunny's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Austin, Texas in my own little world
Posts: 21,691
snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by Brit_far_from_home View Post
Women who are women and keep their figures even after childbirth... I like it here!
What's their secret?
snowbunny is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 5:50 am
  #52  
Ivegotta Member
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 900
Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
What's their secret?
Beats me. My Missus is a chink, and she eats twice as much as me, and is still only 100lb!
She has small hands as well, which makes me look good
Triumphrob is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 7:07 am
  #53  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 128
Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by britex01 View Post
What's that saying? ... 'Home is where your heart is'?
My husband is an only child and his parents are thinking of moving to the UK when they retire next year. They qualify for the retired persons of independent means visa, even with the crappy exchange rate, but they would have a much less affluent life than in the US. They are willing to try it because family is much more important. And this is even coming from FiL who, when we decided not to move back to the US last year, ranted at the husband that he was choosing to live in the poverty in a third world country

I always knew if the husband really really couldn't settle here then I would move back to the US with him. I had got used to it and was enjoying it by the end of my time there and though there would be sacrifices I would do it for my bloke, <insert gushy stuff about husband>, the place we live is less important than that we are together.
Serenity is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 7:51 am
  #54  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: UK,US,Japan
Posts: 29
Brit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really niceBrit_far_from_home is just really nice
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
And this is even coming from FiL who, when we decided not to move back to the US last year, ranted at the husband that he was choosing to live in the poverty in a third world country

.
It was exactly that kind of arrogant ethno-centric attitude that I detested in America. So many yanks think America is the best country in the world and that other countries (even western European ones) don't have running water and indoor toilets.

There are plenty of places in America that are "Third World" as far as I'm concerned, so they should shut their mouths and think twice before they say [email protected] like that.:curse:
Brit_far_from_home is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:12 am
  #55  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 33,688
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I have fond memories of my past when it suits me ...

After 10 years would I go back ...Not a chance ...
Ditto

But 4 years
Boiler is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:14 am
  #56  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 33,688
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by Brit_far_from_home View Post
It was exactly that kind of arrogant ethno-centric attitude that I detested in America. So many yanks think America is the best country in the world and that other countries (even western European ones) don't have running water and indoor toilets.

There are plenty of places in America that are "Third World" as far as I'm concerned, so they should shut their mouths and think twice before they say [email protected] like that.:curse:
I just mention the exchange rate, tends to kill that conversation.

Or sometimes how low the wages are in the US.
Boiler is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:36 am
  #57  
BE Forum Addict
 
montgomail's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: midlands/denia
Posts: 4,340
montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
My husband is an only child and his parents are thinking of moving to the UK when they retire next year. They qualify for the retired persons of independent means visa, even with the crappy exchange rate, but they would have a much less affluent life than in the US. They are willing to try it because family is much more important. And this is even coming from FiL who, when we decided not to move back to the US last year, ranted at the husband that he was choosing to live in the poverty in a third world country

I always knew if the husband really really couldn't settle here then I would move back to the US with him. I had got used to it and was enjoying it by the end of my time there and though there would be sacrifices I would do it for my bloke, <insert gushy stuff about husband>, the place we live is less important than that we are together.
I would have agreed with him about four hours ago when I waited nearly 30 minutes for an out of hours surgery to answer the phone, and then another hour for the GP to phone back and advise me on how to treat my 11 year old who was in agony with ear ache.

I was fuming, thinking of the hours I work and the taxes I pay - for what?

Generally though, I love England. I got into this site because I bought a bolt hole in Valencia.
montgomail is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 11:30 am
  #58  
Sursum corda
 
cindyabs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Richmond Hill, GA USA
Posts: 38,849
cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by Brit_far_from_home View Post
It was exactly that kind of arrogant ethno-centric attitude that I detested in America. So many yanks think America is the best country in the world and that other countries (even western European ones) don't have running water and indoor toilets.

There are plenty of places in America that are "Third World" as far as I'm concerned, so they should shut their mouths and think twice before they say [email protected] like that.:curse:
Okay, I have to say this I am not going to argue with you over a majority of your comments, although I'm not keen on some of them, but this one is silly-"so many yanks think that America is the best country in the world." What do you expect an American to say? If a Brit comes on here and says the UK is best, I'm not going to say they are wrong for thinking that-it's their homeland FFS.

Believe me, I am all for people broadening their horizons and seeing as much of the world as possible in order not to make blanket judgments, which I detest.
cindyabs is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 1:05 pm
  #59  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NW Chicago suburbs
Posts: 11,253
Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by Brit_far_from_home View Post
To Japan, yes
To America, no

And here's why:

America was full of loudmouths and braggarts. Oh, I forgot the in your face religious nuts as well. Puritanical attitudes to sex and alcohol were woven into the society and culture - what a bunch of boring feckers.

Too much mindless patriotism, idiocy masquerading as "tradition", lack of irony and humour, fake posturing and phoney friendship, macho culture, guns, fat feckers, arggghhh! the list could go on and on.

All of which is not to say there weren't a few individual Americans who were on my wave length, but as a whole that country was a major disappointment.

Japan is ****** weird too, but their weirdness is much more in sync with my own. One of the best things here is the zero influence of Old Testament morality and Puritanism. Liberal attitudes to drinking, sex, not boasting all the time, not stuffing your fat face full of crap "food', women who are women and keep their figures even after childbirth... I like it here!

Unfortunately they work insanely long hours, but then so do the puritanical yanks. At least the Japanese know how to enjoy themselves.
Well come on now - every country has a FEW lunatics.
Tracym is offline  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 1:14 pm
  #60  
gurt mint nit?
 
Xebedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: In my shed
Posts: 2,776
Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by Brit_far_from_home View Post
America was full of loudmouths and braggarts. Oh, I forgot the in your face religious nuts as well. Puritanical attitudes to sex and alcohol were woven into the society and culture - what a bunch of boring feckers.
Too much mindless patriotism, idiocy masquerading as "tradition", lack of irony and humour, fake posturing and phoney friendship, macho culture, guns, fat feckers, arggghhh! the list could go on and on.
All of which is not to say there weren't a few individual Americans who were on my wave length, but as a whole that country was a major disappointment.
But the regional traits do actually vary here. I honestly never imagined that they could - America being such a new country. There are regions of the country where the local mentality is too "anti-English" in the ways you described, but there are places where you can strike a compromise.

America has never ceased to amaze and I really cannot see how anyone could be diappointed by the natural things on offer here. Not what people have done, but the things you have to break your routine to appreciate.

One thing is true, you cannot live here and be of the opinions you stated - you will go insane. No doubt.
Xebedee is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.