Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Would You Put England Flags on Your Car?

Would You Put England Flags on Your Car?

Old Jun 4th 2010, 3:27 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would You Put England Flags on Your Car?

I was getting all excited for the World Cup and asked my sister to send me some of the car flags... well they are in the mail and she wants in -situ pictures...

...but DH is now wondering if it may not be a a good idea with the anti- British sentiment from the loony right. We are about to see oil on our beaches in the next few days and the place is full of network tv crews.

So dare I ? would you?
Old Jun 4th 2010, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would You Put England Flags on Your Car?

Why not? It isn't your fault BP management are arses. By the sound of it Halliburton are equally to blame. I used to have a Union Jack on the front of my car and refused to change it until I became a USC.

Last edited by Brit3964; Jun 4th 2010 at 3:46 am.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 4:02 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I have just put a 3'x5' one up outside the house.
no one will know its an English flag anyway. If people are educated or worldly enough to know what flag it is they willl not be the kind of person who will blame you for a busness error, just because the company is linked to your country. (Do I sound like a snob saying that ?)
Old Jun 4th 2010, 4:03 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Would You Put England Flags on Your Car?

Of course you should! My friend Julie (from East London) has had her brother visiting from the UK this week and he's brought her a couple of flags for her car (her husband is Italian....).

She's displaying them already.

I have my big England flag which will go up on my house on 12th June... (It says 'England' in the middle of it...I bought it at Tesco's when the last World Cup was taking place)
Old Jun 4th 2010, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like to make a statement with my car and especially not the flappy flags if those are what you mean so no I wouldn't. But I suppose you could just take a pic to keep your sister happy.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the public, they beat up a paediatrician once didn't they

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jun 4th 2010 at 4:28 am.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 4:27 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be shocked if you got any more than a 'we kicked your ass real good 200+ years ago" comments. In the DC area cars are covered with random flags and stickers (mainly 'El Salvador') pretty much year round.

Personally I try to avoid anything that stands out on my car, mainly because I drive like such a jerk I wouldn't want someone to say 'hey, there's the guy with the such and such bumper sticker that cut me off last week. Let's get him'.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 4:34 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Would You Put England Flags on Your Car?

As in the old BA adverts:

"Fly The Flag".... (England - not GB lol!)
Old Jun 4th 2010, 5:01 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I was getting all excited for the World Cup and asked my sister to send me some of the car flags... well they are in the mail and she wants in -situ pictures...

...but DH is now wondering if it may not be a a good idea with the anti- British sentiment from the loony right. We are about to see oil on our beaches in the next few days and the place is full of network tv crews.

So dare I ? would you?
What-what from the "loony right"?

I think you'll find it's the loony left that hold the monopoly on environmental extremism, whether it's those save the whales idiots, or PETA, ELF, the Unabomber et al. The right wing extremists might shoot an abortion doctor, but virtually all environmental terrorism is carried out by earth worshiping left wing nonces.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 5:04 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
What-what from the "loony right"?

I think you'll find it's the loony left that hold the monopoly on environmental extremism, whether it's those save the whales idiots, or PETA, ELF, the Unabomber et al. The right wing extremists might shoot an abortion doctor, but virtually all environmental terrorism is carried out by earth worshiping left wing nonces.
Have been listening to right wing radio and they believe that the coastlines protection is in the hands of a foreign power and people are boycotting bp gas stations. I live among the loony right.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 5:22 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

<------ No
Old Jun 4th 2010, 5:56 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

And I live among the loony left. Perhaps I'm a masochist.

I don't have a problem with people boycotting BP. People want to express their anger. I have noticed the media, and the administration, emphasizing that this is British Petroleum, which it no longer is. It's BP. Like Kentucky Fried Chicken became just the initials KFC, to de-emphasize the fried aspect.

In truth, BP is a multinational. It's no more British than it is American.
I worked for Schlumberger in Houston, next to the Marathon tower, with geologist and geophysicists. It's a pretty small community.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

A professor has found after extensive research that there are two sizes of penis amongst UK men - those which fall within the normal size range and those which are less than 2 inches when erect. The professor has appealed for help to continue his research - could all men with extremely small penises please make themselves known over the next 6 weeks by flying a white flag with a red cross on from their car.
Oldie but goodie.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:49 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

So dare I ? would you?
I agree with Kimilseung – in my experience most Americans will simply not know what it is. During the last world cup I had a St George cross magnet from the Bobby Moore cancer charity on the back of my car but by half way through the tournament the red faded to a nice shade of pink so who knows what people thought that was.

No car magnet this time round but I do have a nice big England flag to hang outside the house starting June 11th.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:55 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

So dare I ? would you?
I have a union jack tailgate hitch on ze truck...and a nice GB sticker on the rear bumper...along with the England Rubgy Union flag flying proudly oustide the house...
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I noted a St. George's flag displayed on a Honda in the station's parking lot this morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.