would you have moved if

Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:15 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default would you have moved if

Lets say the climate was just the same back in UK as it is here in Aus.

Would you have ever thought about heading to Aus?

I know this is just another way of asking the same question that has been asked on here many times ( the rose tined glases and all that comes with them)

If yes then what would your reasons be for comming here, remember we have to forget about the OUTDOOR LIFESTYLE mentioned on here also as i`m sure UK would also have all the outdoor facilities that are here. I hear some say that they would all be wrecked back in the UK but i have been to some really shitty areas not 10 min from me and i tell you they were worse than where i came from only looked a bit better with the sun shining. AND its the same as anywhere here or the UK, in the nice areas the council look after their part and in the shitty areas they just let them go just as they do back hame

Anyway just wondering what will come out of this or maybe me asking myself why I really came here in the first place!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:54 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: would you have moved if

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga

I know this is just another way of asking the same question that has been asked on here many times ( the rose tined glases and all that comes with them)

If yes then what would your reasons be for comming here, remember we have to forget about the OUTDOOR LIFESTYLE mentioned on here also as i`m sure UK would also have all the outdoor facilities that are here. I hear some say that they would all be wrecked back in the UK but i have been to some really shitty areas not 10 min from me and i tell you they were worse than where i came from only looked a bit better with the sun shining. AND its the same as anywhere here or the UK, in the nice areas the council look after their part and in the shitty areas they just let them go just as they do back hame

Anyway just wondering what will come out of this or maybe me asking myself why I really came here in the first place!
10 Views but no comments

C`mon lets hear something Even i am asking a stupid question and i`m an idiot or even worse whichever you prefer
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt come here for the weather and I doubt that in any sane moment I would have used that as a reason for moving here. We came because the DH got and offer he couldnt refuse and so he didnt refuse it. I have never moved anywhere because of the weather and though it is just another straw to add to the camel's back about being here (I do not like the hot heat) it wouldnt be the main reason that would drive me home.

I think the UK has some amazing "lifestyle" opportunities that are nothing like wrecked and quite the equal of anything you will find here but that is just my HO.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:45 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

You posted your message in the Moving back to the UK forum and there was nothing in the title to indicate that your question related to Australia.

Perhaps some of the other people who opened the thread but did not respond were like me, in that they were unqualified to answer the question for some reason.

I have two disqualifications:
  1. I am not British.
  2. I do not live in Australia.
x
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:55 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

I think the pull of better weather draws people here but I think you have a point if the weather was bad ie loads of rain may be it wouldnt be as appealing

But Ive asked my self the same question nice weather isnt every thing I was a very out door person and so is my DH and we are from Ireland loads of rain
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:01 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

My OH loves the sun so if it was like this in Scotland i doubt we would have moved.

The sun doesnt bother me take it or leave it i like cold weather least you can rug up and get warm, i think the sun is very ageing i cant believe when i find out people's ages here.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:26 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga

There was a thread in the Aus forum not long ago asking the same question 'would you emigrate to OZ if the sun shined more in UK'.
The result was over whelming...i think most people said 'no' they wouldn't emigrate to OZ if they had nice weather. So basically most of us do emigrate for the heat.
I think i did definately. Now i feel such an idiot as i can't stand hot weather. I don't mind the early 20's, but above 28 is defo not for me.
It took this move to OZ to realise that weather is not at all important. It was just a bloody expensive choice to make <what's that hanging off my forehead>
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here primarily because OH was offered a job and the opportunity arose. Having said that, it has been on our minds for years and my OH in particular was becoming rather disillusioned with the UK (mainly due to the Government!) but generally our lives were good.

If I am completely honest, the weather did have a lot to do with it - I think many people are afraid to admit this for fear of being seen as nieve. But as most people seem to want more of an outdoor lifestyle, I can only assume that it's therefore the weather they want to make this possible. You only have to look at what happens in the UK when the sun dares to show it's face - people come out, clothes come off (ooer!! ) barbies get let, parks fill up and they really make the most of it.

But what actually happens in summer in Oz? How many Australians do you see filling the parks and beaches? Not many, they're all inside with the air-con on! Yes, the weather is better over here in general, but when it's hot - it's hot! Coupled with the fact that the sun goes down so early, you don't get those lovely long summer evenings getting slowing piddled with your F&F in the back garden.

To sum up (as I have rambled considerably) I think that if the weather was better in the UK, the Australian Government wouldn't have half the skilled workers it's getting!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

Im afraid that yes the weather was a big pull because we naively thought we would be able to do more outside

kayaking
kids playing out
eating al fresco

None of which has happened due to the long working hours,long winters and the fact that kids here dont ever seem to play out

I think we did more outdoors in the uk long walks in the parks,feeding the ducks,sitting out in the daylight of summer and my kids played out every evening rain or shine and walked to school

So no we would not have moved if the weather had been warmer in the uk and TBH weather now seems unimportant
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I really do think the weather makes a big difference to your everyday life. I find if we have more than a few days overcast here in Brisbane I start feeling a bit "flat". The sun shining makes your day seem brighter (even if you are in the office and only looking out the window). I even hate the winter here in Brisbane.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:17 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I have know personal knowledge of Australia...........But i have read alot of threads on here, where alot of people are complaining about the heat in Australia and carn't wait to get back to the much cooler British climate. I suppose too much of one thing is worse then, not enough.........
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:29 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good question because it is very specific. I'm in Kuwait and did not come here for the weather but for the job. The reason I have the job is because I applied for it - after just wishing to be somewhere else than in the UK.

I think a lot of people are like me and just want to be somewhere else and part of articulating a logic behind the emotion is to refer to the weather. But really I just wanted to go away. Australia is a natural place to head to for Brits.

Later on I may want to go back to the UK or move on again and the fact that I do not love every second of being in Kuwait is not a hypocrisy or failure in my strategy of just going away. But wanting to move on again will not be because of the weather.

I also live in Gambia which is different because the weather has two climates and I would just never stay there in the rainy season because of the mud - the sense of 'flatness' that Rabsody describes and the mozzies. So I am not immune to being affected by weather either - but that is in extremis.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I didn't come here for a better life (ha!) I married an Aussie I met whilst I was backpacking.

However I think I suffer worse with the heat here than I did with the cold in Scotland, I am pale blue in colour and can get burnt walking the 5 minutes from the office to my car, and then the car is so hot that it hurts even to touch the steering wheel, and the seatbelt buckle makes a really effective BRANDING IRON.....ooh I could go on.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:37 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by islandergirl
I didn't come here for a better life (ha!) I married an Aussie I met whilst I was backpacking.

However I think I suffer worse with the heat here than I did with the cold in Scotland, I am pale blue in colour and can get burnt walking the 5 minutes from the office to my car, and then the car is so hot that it hurts even to touch the steering wheel, and the seatbelt buckle makes a really effective BRANDING IRON.....ooh I could go on.

I like being warm but im not looking forward to that heat esp with small children and getting them home from school
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

I think in reality many people do move for the weather, may not be the only factor but a strong one, never the less.

We certainly liked the thought of more sunshine and having just been through Winter in Tasmania (not the warmest place in Oz!) we have had far more sunny, dry days than we would ever have in a UK winter.

BUT all the other things connected to the weather that we thought we were going to do, like taking up kayaking, enjoying the outdoors etc we can't do, either because we can't afford it (Australia is bleeding us dry) or we are fed up with having to drive ages to get anywhere etc

So, in summary, for us the weather was a factor but now it does not seem important any more, I just want to be back where I felt I belonged, where I did not stand out all the time, where everytime I spoke in a shop I wasn't stared at, where I could be around for important family occasions, I could go on......................

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.