Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

worries about going home.....please help!

worries about going home.....please help!

Old May 10th 2007, 1:32 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: worries about going home.....please help!

Its kind of a shock to me when I watch a TV show from the UK....how normal it all looks...how well spoken the kids are...how clean it looks....and that people are still walking about in this crime infested place without wearing body armor and carrying heavy machine guns...or standing next to a sign in Polish wondering where they are...

My mum can not wait to get back to the UK..and I ask my old English friends back home about all the crime ...and they have no idea what I'm talking about...
Old May 10th 2007, 3:02 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
My mum can not wait to get back to the UK..and I ask my old English friends back home about all the crime ...and they have no idea what I'm talking about...

Well thats the Vicar of Dibley for you.

and where does she live, Orkney?
Old May 10th 2007, 3:57 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Vicar of Dibley ...
Are you smoking something you're not sharing.......
Old May 10th 2007, 4:15 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
Its kind of a shock to me when I watch a TV show from the UK....how normal it all looks...
You ask me what am i smoking!

When you want to go home you cant see the horrible side of Britain and when you want to leave you cant see anything BUT the horrible side. (General statement not aimed at you. Ive been on both sides!)

Last edited by Londonuck; May 10th 2007 at 4:21 pm.
Old May 11th 2007, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps, but not in every case, remember people are all a bit different. I do not think it has a horrible side any worse than anywhere else in the developed world. However I do agree that you can get very wistful for things you miss or can't have!

Last edited by seasprite; May 11th 2007 at 2:28 pm.
Old May 11th 2007, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

stargazers is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not so bad back here, there is a lot of hype and there are plenty of rough areas as there are anywhere. Do your homework about where you move to, if you can visit & check out the schools & post the areas you're thinking of, the people there should be able to help. The weather here has been fab for a month, just a little rain, so even that's changing!!! Good Luck
Old May 11th 2007, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everyone.
we are defo heading for north yorkshire,tho not the big busy places like whitby ,scarborough etc.
looking at pickering area,harrogate(pateley bridge area).
The school tables look ok as far as i can see.
Looking forward to it really.
We are more british than we thought we were!!
cant wait,booking flights tonight.
its amazing......all the stuff we are going to eat from asda !!!!
i bet we wont want it when we can have it !!
x
Old May 11th 2007, 9:06 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

It must be the media. Don't worry about coming back here in fear of the crime etc, like many have said it's where you choose to live can be the important factor and as it's been said before most people are decent, don't believe the hype!!

Saying that we have never had any trouble where we have lived for the last 6years and we are not too far from one of the poorest estates in the North West.

C
Old May 11th 2007, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by englishrose
thanks everyone.
we are defo heading for north yorkshire,tho not the big busy places like whitby ,scarborough etc.
x
Hi I was just browsing this thread but had to comment. I'm a teacher - school tables - don't believe what you read (like the newspapers). Visit and talk to parents. It's very easy for schools to have a few good days for the inspectors and results don't indicate the well-being of the children. However, I can't speak for North yorkshire.
Sorry to butt into this thread.
Old May 11th 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

thats fine....you didnt butt in !!
Im just trusting that if we live in a decent area then the schools will be decent aswell.
Like most things ,its down to the parents on how we raise our kids i suppose.
I do like north yorks aswell because they still have the primary schools rather than going to a junior school at 7.
Thanks for the input
Old May 11th 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all

thats fine....you didnt butt in !!
Im just trusting that if we live in a decent area then the schools will be decent aswell.
Like most things ,its down to the parents on how we raise our kids i suppose.
I do like north yorks aswell because they still have the primary schools rather than going to a junior school at 7.
Thanks for the input
You are probably right about it depending on the area and of course it is all down to good parenting. I'm just being cynical - had a hard week at work. One suggestion - just check if there would be any children with severe special needs in your child's class and don't believe it if they tell you there is extra support especially for that child because that is rarely the case.
Old May 11th 2007, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

ok,im a bit concerned that my 7 yr old will be behind as he has technically missed a year of schooling ,with the way they do it over here.I know some schools help the bright kids while the slower to learn ones dont get much help.
time will tell.
bet you're glad its friday then !!
Old May 11th 2007, 10:58 pm
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

ok,im a bit concerned that my 7 yr old will be behind as he has technically missed a year of schooling ,with the way they do it over here.I know some schools help the bright kids while the slower to learn ones dont get much help.
time will tell.
bet you're glad its friday then !!

if you are very concerned, why dont you order some year exercise books from tesco online for example to bring the 7 yr old up to speed?

our eldest will be starting comp in september when we return and we are concerned about what standard she will be at, so have ordered maths, science, english and geography year 6 books and she does half hr each night, never a prob cause she doesnt get homework here!!! so half hr is NOTHING in comparison to what she would be doing in the uk!!

it is reassuring us and she isnt worrying anymore about a new school
Old May 11th 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

thanks everyone.
x
Hi
Your post struck a cord when are you due back ? all the best for your return to the UK the hardest bit is making the descision after that it gets easier and youve certainly picked a beautiful part of hte uk to return to
Old May 12th 2007, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

hi Mandtooz,i'll look into ordering those,we also have a daughter who is to start high school in sept.
Also my youngest who i thought i would have at home for another year ,is going to have to start full time in sept !! I only cried for THREE hours when i realised that !!

Eastbound,we are coming home on july 10th.
Whereabouts are you from if you dont mind me asking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.