Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Work in London, live where ?

Work in London, live where ?

Old Jan 13th 2007, 2:53 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work in London, live where ?

Originally Posted by mnze
Hi,
Thanks for your post. Where exactly is St Albans ?

mnze
Hertfordshire
Old Jan 13th 2007, 2:54 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Do you mean the Veralum? Down past the Cathedral on the right, just past the old water mill?
Down there but called The Waffle House
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:00 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
and what about the lovely place in a park that serves the best waffles and ice cream ever!
You must mean "The Waffle House" - so yummy!

Oh - someone beat me to it!

I miss St. Albans - Melbourne doesn't even come close!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Hertfordshire
I bought my wedding dress in St Albans
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:30 am
sme
......in the sand !

Originally Posted by northernbird
I bought my wedding dress in St Albans
I went to school and lived in St Albans till we moved.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 7:10 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
I went to school and lived in St Albans till we moved.
Many a happy time was spent in and around St.Albans, it's a nice place. I was feeling quite homesick before Xmas and had a dream that I was shopping in the High Street. Everywhere there was hustle & bustle and I could feel the homely atmosphere. I even woke up with the taste of St.Albans own 'Cathedral' cheese! Spooky.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 7:25 am
Just Joined

mnze will become famous soon enough

Many a happy time was spent in and around St.Albans, it's a nice place. I was feeling quite homesick before Xmas and had a dream that I was shopping in the High Street. Everywhere there was hustle & bustle and I could feel the homely atmosphere. I even woke up with the taste of St.Albans own 'Cathedral' cheese! Spooky.
It's great to hear people talking positively about the UK. We believe every place is right for people at the right time. Quite a few expats we have met here say it's high crime, dirty, expensive. well trust me if you heard our news you wouldn't come here. However NZ is a fantastic place, and I am sure UK is great too. Really looking forward to it.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:05 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mnze
It's great to hear people talking positively about the UK. We believe every place is right for people at the right time. Quite a few expats we have met here say it's high crime, dirty, expensive. well trust me if you heard our news you wouldn't come here. However NZ is a fantastic place, and I am sure UK is great too. Really looking forward to it.
I'm sure some parts of the UK are dirty and I know there are some 'high crime' areas too, but the majority of the British Isles is very nice indeed. As for expensive, I just don't agree and think it's a nonsense to say that. I hope you enjoy the UK.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:50 am
sme
......in the sand !

I'm sure some parts of the UK are dirty and I know there are some 'high crime' areas too, but the majority of the British Isles is very nice indeed. As for expensive, I just don't agree and think it's a nonsense to say that. I hope you enjoy the UK.
Whereabouts in Perth are you ? I'm in Perth too.

St Albans is great for London and also has a thriving pub/cafe culture.
I'd live there again (if we were coming back)
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I agree its not all bad, a bit like any place. Some places are awful and some beautiful. As for expensive again there are cheap and expensive areas.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:04 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree its not all bad, a bit like any place. Some places are awful and some beautiful. As for expensive again there are cheap and expensive areas.
Maybe I was getting the wrong end of the stick. I was thinking the people who say the UK is expensive were talking about the cost of living, not the properties.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

Maybe I was getting the wrong end of the stick. I was thinking the people who say the UK is expensive were talking about the cost of living, not the properties.
I think maybe they were saying overall expensive which I agree it isn't.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I would avoid any E postcode, despite what they tell you these places are not up and coming. They have real problems with drugs and crimes.

If I where to move back I would choose Essex or Hertfordshire as these have pretty good links to the city.

Essex : Hornchurch and Upminster are quite close, but can be very expensive.
Chelmsford and most of the surrounding villages are nice and are on the main line into Liverpool St.
Colchester is a great old town (the oldest in England) but is a bit far out IMO for a daily commute.
Westcliff on sea, Thorpe bay and Chalkwell are nice but again can be quite dear.
Saffron Walden is nice, but just a little bit remote.

Hertfordshire; Bishop Stortford and Hertford are both close to London.
St Albans as previous posters have said is very nice.
Rickmansworth, Kings Langley and bits of Watford are worth a look at.
And there are loads of great villages in Hertfordshire that are really pretty and I used to love driving through them.

Hope this helps, I know someone is going to say "I wouldn't live in xxxx if your paid me" but it is only my opinion.

John
Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:25 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

dont matter where you go here,its not cheep.:scared: the cost of living is high.like the rest of us,you will muddle through Im sure
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 8:00 am
Just Joined

mnze will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kate white
dont matter where you go here,its not cheep.:scared: the cost of living is high.like the rest of us,you will muddle through Im sure
Interesting news article here today, puts NZ Auckland housing in the same league as London with Wellington not far behind. The basis of the calculation I believe was, percentage of median income.