Wikiposts

Wisdom teeth suck

Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:19 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wisdom teeth suck

Well, I did it. I had my two remaining wisdom teeth out last week, and I shouldn't have worried as much as I did, but it really does suck having these things out.

The anaesthesia they gave me was the most pleasant part. They put the IV in the crook of my elbow, too, which was MUCH better than my scrawny hand. Didn't hurt at all. Then the dentist said they'd put a little mask over my nose to help me breathe a little better once I was going under, and all I remember was my throat feeling a little cold, and I said, "Oh, there we go", and the next minute, I was drifting into the most wonderful sleep I've ever had! No panic attack whatsoever, and I was out cold within seconds!

I woke up not remembering anything at all about the surgery, and my hubs said I actually managed to walk up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment by myself before crashing out on the couch.

After I slept a bit more, the numbing wore off, then the pain kicked in. Oh, my God, this crap has been relentless since Friday evening. It's a little better now, but a couple of times, I really though they'd broken my jaw. I've been taking my meds religiously but I couldn't take their painkillers anymore. They knock me on my arse but don't really kill the pain, so I've started taking Motrin instead.

Anyways, right now I'm back at work but I don't know if I'll last the day. My head feels like lead, I'm starving for a decent meal, and I want to curl up with my pup and go back to bed. I was being a worrywart a little too much, but I am a complete baby when it comes to pain, especially around my head. I'll be saying it's the best thing I've ever done in a couple of weeks, but at the mo, WISDOM TEETH ARE EVIL!!!!!!!

Last edited by katesbackagain; Oct 17th 2007 at 12:22 am.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:02 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wisdom teeth suck

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Well, I did it. I had my two remaining wisdom teeth out last week, and I shouldn't have worried as much as I did, but it really does suck having these things out.

The anaesthesia they gave me was the most pleasant part. They put the IV in the crook of my elbow, too, which was MUCH better than my scrawny hand. Didn't hurt at all. Then the dentist said they'd put a little mask over my nose to help me breathe a little better once I was going under, and all I remember was my throat feeling a little cold, and I said, "Oh, there we go", and the next minute, I was drifting into the most wonderful sleep I've ever had! No panic attack whatsoever, and I was out cold within seconds!

I woke up not remembering anything at all about the surgery, and my hubs said I actually managed to walk up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment by myself before crashing out on the couch.

After I slept a bit more, the numbing wore off, then the pain kicked in. Oh, my God, this crap has been relentless since Friday evening. It's a little better now, but a couple of times, I really though they'd broken my jaw. I've been taking my meds religiously but I couldn't take their painkillers anymore. They knock me on my arse but don't really kill the pain, so I've started taking Motrin instead.

Anyways, right now I'm back at work but I don't know if I'll last the day. My head feels like lead, I'm starving for a decent meal, and I want to curl up with my pup and go back to bed. I was being a worrywart a little too much, but I am a complete baby when it comes to pain, especially around my head. I'll be saying it's the best thing I've ever done in a couple of weeks, but at the mo, WISDOM TEETH ARE EVIL!!!!!!!
I had two of mine out last year. So I empathize. It will get better soon .... promise.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I had all 4 out in one go about 16 years ago, truly the worst experience of my life, as Sue said it does get better. Hope you feel better soon.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

I had mine out about six years ago. They started giving me gyp on a Friday, so the dentist gave me codeine to tie me over until he could get me in on the Sunday. I had an allergic reaction and threw up all weekend. By the time Monday came around with the surgical appointment I just wanted them to put me out of my misery. He started telling me everything he was going to do, and I stopped him and told him just to start the d**m drip and put me under. He said he'd never actually had anyone that eager to get their wisdoms out!

I don't remember the pain being that bad after -- I think it was all relative. The pain with them had been so bad that it was quite a relief just to get them out.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:16 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I had one pulled last year....the anaesthesia did not work but I got him to carry on pulling it out...boy does that hurt....I lost the feeling in my lower jaw for 3 months....
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I had to reply to this thread only because my husband had his 4 wisdom teeth pulled about a month ago. He had it done under local anesthetic (novacaine) and said it wasn't really bad. However, a month later and he has recurring jaw pain every once in a while. He said its like a stabbing pain that doesn't last long. I've never had wisdom teeth removed (don't know why) so I can't sympathise.....just wondering if anyone has felt that?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

You poor thing - I hope you are feeling better soon. Oh god I knew I shouldn't have read this thread though! I pondered over it a bit and next thing I knew 'click' I had 1 wisdom out about 10 years ago. The dentist said he had given me the maximum amount of anesthetic he could and if I could still feel it when he stabbed me in the gum he would have to send me back home. Luckily the last needle did the trick and he took one wisdom out. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago my new dentist said I need to have my other 3 partially impacted ones taken out and my son needs to have all 4 of his fully impacted ones out too. We are dreading it to say the least. The trauma, healing time... oh and the bill!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:15 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
The trauma, healing time... oh and the bill!!!
Hehehe! Yes, that part normally hurts most of all! Luckily, the bill for me wasn't that bad. My dental insurance covers 90% of all my treatment, so I ended up with only a small out-of-pocket. Can't have any more treatment under that this year, though, cuz it did cost a lot to have these out, and I think my allowance is all gone now.

I did end up going home the day I wrote my original post, and also had the rest of the week off. I went back on the Darvocet, as the Motrin wasn't working either. Figured if I'm going to be in pain anyway, might as well sleep as much as I can.

I'm seriously malnourished, too. I felt well enough to do some grocery shopping yesterday, but when I got to the store, I was shuffling along like an old woman as I felt dizzy and weak. As soon as I got home and ate some cream of wheat (equivalent of Ready Brek) I felt a lot better. Been drinking lots of orange juice, too, so that seems to be helping a bit. Jaw still hurts and my neck is stiff from being propped up on pillows for over a week, but I'm at least feeling human again.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:42 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

It cost me $40 to have mine pulled...he was a nice guy...very worried to carry on removing the tooth...it really feels weird to feel it come out...and the pain is like very sharp it hurts like hell...but after you've had a bad tooth for 3 months it feels like heaven when the pain stops...
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:51 am
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by krizzy
but after you've had a bad tooth for 3 months it feels like heaven when the pain stops...
I know I'll be saying that when my aching jaw stops. I didn't necessarily have pain with these, but my mouth was so crowded I was starting to develop a lisp, and every now and then I'd bite the fleshy part at the back of my mouth while I was eating.

Also, it feels sooooo good to be able to brush the teeth near the extraction site properly now. I was worried I was growing a fur coat in my mouth.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:18 am
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
However, a month later and he has recurring jaw pain every once in a while. He said its like a stabbing pain that doesn't last long. I've never had wisdom teeth removed (don't know why) so I can't sympathise.....just wondering if anyone has felt that?
I've been reading up on this in the last couple of days, as I have a similar thing going on. All down the right side of my face hurts a little, but it doesn't feel like an infection kind of pain. My gums feel fine and I don't have any odours or icky fluids coming from the sockets, but my lower jaw still hurts, and I get shooting pains in my ear, and my neck still feels stiff. I'm positive it's what they call TMJ. It's a condition where your jawbones go spazzy and stiff, and the pain can radiate to other parts of the face and neck, including the temples. I've also been getting a little annoying ache there too.

They had to remove a piece of bone when they took out my lower one, I have a small mouth, and the tooth was at a weird angle, so I'm not surprised my bones and muscles are now showing their displeasure. I'm expecting this to last a bit longer, but every day it's less and less, so unless it really flares up, I'm not worrying.

Hope your hubs doesn't have to deal with his problem for long, and it's just an after-effect. His nerve may be a little tender still, I don't imagine they heal as fast as other tissues if they get inflamed.

Last edited by katesbackagain; Oct 25th 2007 at 8:21 am.