Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Will trip 'home' help or hinder?

Wikiposts

Will trip 'home' help or hinder?

Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will trip 'home' help or hinder?

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I think its good to go back every so often. A good test of where you belong is whether you're happy to go home afterwards, and how gut wrenching (if at all) it is to leave the UK.
I totally agree with your statement. The gut feeling (for me) is always right.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

sugar will become famous soon enoughsugar will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dunroving
Sorry, I'm hijacking your thread a bit here, Sally, but this is a bit relevant (I think!).

Just this "aside" on Bournville illustrates for me part of why people feel a tug for the UK ("home") in a way that might be good/rational, but also may be part of the whole rose-tint phenomenon.

When I read the personal account of working at Cadbury's (the link I included in the earlier post), it really tugged at something that I used to feel when I visited home during my years overseas. This was part of my motivation to come back, eventually - the idea that no-one in the US knew my history, or would be able to identify with stories about Cadbury's/Bournville swimming baths, walking back to school in December after swim class with your hair turning to icicles, going to the ABC Minor's Club at the Stirchley Cinema at 10 a.m. every Saturday morning (except the day Churchill was buried, when the cinema was closed for the day), riiding the top deck of the bus home from school, where the big kids would be smoking their cigarettes and asking "What are you looking at?", living in a council flat, etc., etc., etc. You all know the drill - you've all got your own experiences.

So what's this got to do with Sally's post? The fact that it can be easy during your visits home to think "Yes, this is where I belong, this is where I am from", to be able to scratch that itch that can't be scratched in the US. I think the response can be so visceral that it's easy to view that response as being absolute confirmation that the UK is where you should be. For some people, that can turn out to be correct. But in my own experience, I have found that I am no more able to relate my "history" to peple living in the 21st century UK than I was able to relate it to people in the US.

Och, shite, I'm waffling but hopefully you kow what I'm getting at - just be careful about making huge decisions based on a visit to the UK tugging at your heartstrings ... hope that makes sense.
Very true.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum may come over for a visit soon so that will be a nice compromise
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I've been here 3 1/2 years and am stuck in one of the early stages of culture shock
I suggest try and get out of LA for a few days at a time- you probably know the good spots but here are a few: Cambria, San Luis Obispo, Monterey Peninsula. Even try the snow this time of year up in Lake Arrowhead area. I think there is nothing nicer than driving to the snow in shorts and Tshirt - skiing or want ever your want is in the cold and being back in the afternoon to shorts and T shirt.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by R2D2 returns
We went home for a visit in the summer of 2007 for my brothers wedding.

I was underwhelmed (by Manchester airport) then totally overwhelmed by the Cheshire countryside we drove through. So green, So lush, So pretty,So quaint, So interesting,,,,,,,,,,,and to be honest, that was the point I knew we'd be coming home eventually
Glad I have just read this as it makes me feel good, we are due to go back to the UK in under 4 weeks, and back to cheshire, yay!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue1
Glad I have just read this as it makes me feel good, we are due to go back to the UK in under 4 weeks, and back to cheshire, yay!!!
Woo hoo...roughly whereabouts in Cheshire...I have a house there and visit often.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Sue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Woo hoo...roughly whereabouts in Cheshire...I have a house there and visit often.
Hi there, we will be going back to a place called Tarporley, what about you, are you going back to live?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, we will be going back to a place called Tarporley, what about you, are you going back to live?
Not going back to live in the UK...but I've just bought a house not far from there. My fave pub is the Rising Sun...my bessie friend lives in Tarporley.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Not going back to live in the UK...but I've just bought a house not far from there. My fave pub is the Rising Sun...my bessie friend lives in Tarporley.
OMG how funny, Rising Sun I dream of having a really nice meal from there, its great
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

OMG how funny, Rising Sun I dream of having a really nice meal from there, its great
Peppered Pork is my fave. When I was there just before Christmas...they'd run out. I said I'd travelled 3,500 miles for my Peppered Pork to be told they'd run out!!!

Got my eye on a little house just off the Main Street...well within walking distance of the Rising Sun.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Peppered Pork is my fave. When I was there just before Christmas...they'd run out. I said I'd travelled 3,500 miles for my Peppered Pork to be told they'd run out!!!

Got my eye on a little house just off the Main Street...well within walking distance of the Rising Sun.
cajun (thinks thats how its spelt)chicken on a sizzler is my fav, yum yum
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

cajun (thinks thats how its spelt)chicken on a sizzler is my fav, yum yum
We always sit at the table right by the bar...LOL...no surprise there.

Which reminds me...I must book my flight.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:12 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

We always sit at the table right by the bar...LOL...no surprise there.

Which reminds me...I must book my flight.
Already booked mine, end of April and I'll be back in the land of the sane.

Only for 12 days but that's better than not getting back at all.

Last edited by englishinfl; Feb 3rd 2009 at 1:15 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was slowly coming to terms with living in LA until I went to England in the summer, since then I've been absolutely awful with homesickness. I could probably juggle childcare and get over there for a short trip soon, but I wonder if people think it would make me feel better or worse?
we first went back home after 7 years in Aus, we decided to really try and see Aus first and put down "roots"....we were not unhappy but we did feel something was missing....went back had a ball, loved lots of things and appreciated a whole lot of other things we took for granted when we did live there....came back to Aus decided to move to a different area..but still near people etc we knew....our sons travelled to the same school..it took us a long while to feel "okay' again.....decided on another trip back home this time for 9 weeksm not a holiday really as we paid the bills,hired a car my husband even helped at his fathers works and we just felt like it was home and that was what was missing from our lives here in Aus....we are heading back home as soon as our home sells and we all know it's the right thing for us to do....we have given Aus a "good go" but it's just not for us.......sometimes I have said to my OH "I wish we'd never gone back in the first place" ,with the stress of selling our home amongst other things, it would be easier to stay in that respect but then we would of just been rolling along here trying to make it feel like "home"......
Good luck and whatever the remedy may be for you I wish you all the best
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:24 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum may come over for a visit soon so that will be a nice compromise
Good luck with that, I hope she does. That's definately a booster for me, I love it when I have my parents or family over. Not quite as good as going back for a couple of weeks, but a definate "up" time!