Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Will global economic problems delay your return to UK?

Will global economic problems delay your return to UK?

Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

HK2UK has a spectacular aura aboutHK2UK has a spectacular aura aboutHK2UK has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Will global economic problems delay your return to UK?

Yes, it is delaying our return for sure
Personally, a few of my friends are finding it difficult to find jobs that are suitable for their level of experience or skill set and instead are doing retail, cleaning or data entry type jobs as they did not want to stay on benefits which I totally respect them for as a job is a job when you need £££ (pay ranging from £6-10ph).
I also know of 4 others who were in more senior positions being made redundant and are only finding contract work but luckily 3 out of 4 of them are comfortable with savings, small mortgages, grown up children etc so are not living month to month.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 6:33 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The only thing that keeps us in the US is the fact that our daughter has made a life for herself in Toronto. Those who are unsettled and have kids...my advice is to move back before they go to college/uni.
This is good advice JG. Its what I'm enormously conscious of now I've got a little one. That and the fact that when I worked in an american middle school I spent the first month in disbelief that they were given junk food for breakfast, and a couple of times a week the entire afternoon was dedicated to watching mythbusters (for the boys) or painting their nails (the girls.)

Essentially I'm just treading water I think. Which I've spent far too long being sad about but its up to me to make the most of it before we go back *kicks self up backside*
I feel terrible for not loving NYC more, when so many of my UK friends act like I've won the lottery by living here. But living in a basement apartment in Queens is hardly the NYC experience most people have in mind lol
Old Nov 25th 2011, 12:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
This is good advice JG. Its what I'm enormously conscious of now I've got a little one. That and the fact that when I worked in an american middle school I spent the first month in disbelief that they were given junk food for breakfast, and a couple of times a week the entire afternoon was dedicated to watching mythbusters (for the boys) or painting their nails (the girls.)

Essentially I'm just treading water I think. Which I've spent far too long being sad about but its up to me to make the most of it before we go back *kicks self up backside*
I feel terrible for not loving NYC more, when so many of my UK friends act like I've won the lottery by living here. But living in a basement apartment in Queens is hardly the NYC experience most people have in mind lol
((((Hugs))))

Announcing that pizza is now considered a vegetable is reason enough to get the hell out of here.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 12:49 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

((((Hugs))))

Announcing that pizza is now considered a vegetable is reason enough to get the hell out of here.
Thanks

Does your daughter like it in Canada? I have an Aunt in Vancouver and I don't want to be all "grass is greener" but overall it does sound like a lovely country/place to live.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Does your daughter like it in Canada? I have an Aunt in Vancouver and I don't want to be all "grass is greener" but overall it does sound like a lovely country/place to live.
She does. I think she relates to Torontonians better than she ever did with Americans. I don't know about BC but there are a lot of Brits in Toronto...even her boss is from the UK. England is still in her blood...if she could I think she would like to give the UK a try. Problem is both her and her fiance have good jobs, friends and a good life in the Toronto...it would be very difficult for them to give that up and start again...especially in this economy. Of course there would be the chance that her fiance would long to be back in Canada.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:25 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

I lived in Canada for 6 years, but on the other side of the country in Toronto. It's alright. Like New York only cleaner, smaller and quite a bit more boring. I do miss the fantastic food market - very like a UK indoor market - and the Toronto Blue Jays but other than that I found it a bit dull after a while.

If I was ever going back to Canada, the Vancouver area would be the only place I'd consider because the weather and scenery is better (Canadian winters everywhere else are brutal). But it's expensive and so far away from England that it would make visits home hard.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I lived in Canada for 6 years, but on the other side of the country in Toronto. It's alright. Like New York only cleaner, smaller and quite a bit more boring. I do miss the fantastic food market - very like a UK indoor market - and the Toronto Blue Jays but other than that I found it a bit dull after a while.

If I was ever going back to Canada, the Vancouver area would be the only place I'd consider because the weather and scenery is better (Canadian winters everywhere else are brutal). But it's expensive and so far away from England that it would make visits home hard.
St Lawrence Market? It's a 10 minute walk from our condo on the HarbourFront.

I haven't been to BC. My daughter spent a couple of weeks there visiting her best friend...she said the scenery was stunning and from what she saw she loved the way of life. As you said it's expensive and further away from the UK. As we all know scenery and a nice lifestyle doesn't always equate to happiness.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

((((Hugs))))

The sad thing is, when I read that, I wasn't surprised. There is no limits to what lobbyists can do and to how low Congress will stoop
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:22 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

St Lawrence Market? It's a 10 minute walk from our condo on the HarbourFront.
Yes! Is it still there? We used to buy wonderful jars of soup there and fresh bread and pasta.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes! Is it still there? We used to buy wonderful jars of soup there and fresh bread and pasta.
I bought some fab Cheshire Cheese from there a couple of weeks ago. Bought some crumpets from Sobeys on the way home and had them toasted with grilled Cheshire Cheese on top.