why Oz?

Old Sep 12th 2004, 12:33 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default why Oz?

This is my third time visiting the forum and I'm amazed at how may Brits ended up in Australia!!
I have a dear friend who's in Adelaide and countless others from my home town have gone over there if only for a short while- what's the big attraction with Oz? there's a whole world out there I blame "Home and Away and Neigbours" lol
Old Sep 12th 2004, 2:02 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why Oz?

neighbours eh? I cant speak for everyone else but I find that us English and the Aussies (and nz folk) always had a special kind of relationship between our two countries. I found that whenever aussies were visit the uk they always get a more open arms welcome that say somebody from france, germany, italy or a number of other european nations. As someone with an Australian spouse I can speak personally that I have always found people from Australia/NZ easiest and best foreigners to get along with whether it be a discussion about the cricket, rugby etc. or even the royal family there is always something in common between our two nations and I hope it continues long into the future.

Nick
Old Sep 12th 2004, 2:27 am
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
This is my third time visiting the forum and I'm amazed at how may Brits ended up in Australia!!
I have a dear friend who's in Adelaide and countless others from my home town have gone over there if only for a short while- what's the big attraction with Oz? there's a whole world out there I blame "Home and Away and Neigbours" lol

For the English the grass is always greener on the other side....also they are always in search of sunshine!! The English believe that they will be able to find an equal if not better standard of living simply because they are English. Being the colonies they think that the Australians will and should welcome them with open arms. I'm amazed at comments on this forum that mention that Australians are given preferential treatment when applying for jobs! Shock , horror, Australians seem not to realize that the English are far more superior!

In France, Spain for instance the English are at least required to learn another language. In the US it's very difficult to get in. Why Oz?? Because the English think it will be an easy option to a better life.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Australias a long way from the Uk, it can provide people with a dream of a better place, if Australia was 6 hours away most would have been there and would know its downsides too. But they dont, read the Moving to OZ forum and see the shock and outcry when aussie residents post a few home truths. Also Australia is protrayed very heavily on UK tv as a sunny paradise, unfortunately most shows are more from a holiday/lifestyle angle than day to day reality so the allure is heightened.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Australias a long way from the Uk, it can provide people with a dream of a better place, if Australia was 6 hours away most would have been there and would know its downsides too. But they dont, read the Moving to OZ forum and see the shock and outcry when aussie residents post a few home truths. Also Australia is protrayed very heavily on UK tv as a sunny paradise, unfortunately most shows are more from a holiday/lifestyle angle than day to day reality so the allure is heightened.
Why Oz? There are a few other reasons you could probably throw in. The following are based on many (likely) UK beliefs about Oz, not the reality:

- Oz's sunnier weather and beaches, implies a more laid-back lifestyle.

- it's different from the UK, but not that different. After all, same language and same attitudes (partially true)

- it's easier than non-English speaking countries : no additional language required. Hence, easier to work, cultural similarities mean that is is easier to assimilate (partially true) : see previous point

- better quality of life (whatever that means) : more space (true), lower crime and working hours (both untrue)

- escape from their UK problems, eg relationship problems. Emigrating makes the problems worse, because of the added stresses

Last edited by MikeStanton; Sep 12th 2004 at 11:23 am.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Probably because It's not a bad place to be, and is relatively easy to adapt to as long as one does not expect it to be the UK in the sun. I have been here eight years and overall I am glad to have had the opportunity to experience OZ. I have a younger brother in the UK whom has just received his migration visas, so he along with his family will be here mid November.

Last edited by ahappychappy; Sep 13th 2004 at 1:49 am.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 1:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Had some good friends here, who emigrated years ago and have been very happy, plus one night The Bloke proposed to me........and he lives in Brisbane!
Its odd though, there are many reasons why he could never feel able to leave his family environment, it was always accepted that I would be the one to move, and I'm not complaining, but having spoken to people out here - thats the expected thing, almost Victorian (the era not the State!) - the woman will do what the man wants/expects.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 2:39 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

I've never lived in Oz myself, but I think the promise of glorious sunshine, sandy beaches, room to roam, and a more laidback lifestyle is what attracts most people. Also, there's the added bonus of not having to learn a new language, and I think some people are under the illusion that the Aussies are exactly like the Brits, which of course cannot be true. Just my theory

-Becs
Old Sep 12th 2004, 5:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Why Australia? Well, if you're British, not bilingual and want to emigrate you don't have a great deal of choice after you've ruled out:

- mainland Europe (language problems)
- Ireland (same problems as the UK, worse in some respects)
- US (difficult visa situation)
- South Africa (variety of reasons)
- small countries/territories, which are not for everyone (eg Isle of Man, Gibraltar, Singapore)

Which leaves pretty much Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

NZ has a small economy and climate not that dissimilar to Britain.
Canada is nice but the winters are too cold for some.

Which leaves Australia.

The two main attractions of Australia are the better climate and the increased amount of space vs the UK.

Those hoping for a better material standard of living will be disappointed, as the two countries are broadly the same.

As will those looking to escape from the usual problems that beset any developed Western society - they're all in Australia, to a greater or lesser extent.

Those who are dependent on close family or friends in the UK will feel isolated.

And those who like European travel will miss out. On the other hand being a long way from Europe is attractive for some.

Those who return to the UK find it difficult to understand how others could prefer to stay in Australia. At the end of the day's everyone's different.

It's important to think carefully about the pros and cons of migration before starting the process. Involve all family members, children included.

Write down (on separate sheets) the pros and cons of Australia versus the pros and cons of your current life. You should have data for all four elements - if not, think harder.

Consider the likely problems on arrival before getting there. What's going to happen if one spouse can't find a good job, or the other is homesick, or one of the kids doesn't settle at school.

Consider the alternatives to migration. Would relocation within the UK suit you better? What are you really looking for in life?

It's important to be adaptable, positive and willing to 'think Australian' to succeed in Australia.

Don't expect Australia to work out instantly. The culture of instant gratification suggests that it should, but life is not like that. A successful migration requires time and effort.

Do your financial planning - migration is not cheap. The visa costs are small in relation to the whole exercise.

Find out about requirements you may need to meet to work in your trade or profession in Australia. Don't assume it's the same as the UK. Also don't assume the different states in Australia are all the same.

Research, research and more research before leaving. Read Australian newspapers. Listen online to Australian radio stations. Get books on Australia from your bookshop and library. Find age-specific resources for the children.

By all means take a holiday beforehand - but try to see Australia from the point of view of a resident, not a tourist spending a stronger currency.

Choose your destination well in Australia. Employment opportunities and climate do vary greatly across the country. Be prepared to relocate interstate if necessary.

For British citizens, and others for whom dual citizenship is possible, it is a very good idea to consider staying long enough to get Australian citizenship and only then thinking about whether returning home is an option. This will benefit not only you if you later want to return (in retirement) or your children later in life.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 12th 2004 at 5:47 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 3:43 am
Homesick....

Aqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant futureAqua2778 has a brilliant future

You dont need to get Ozzie Citzenship.... you can just get RRV which means you have 5 years to return to oz if so desire... i think 5 years would be long enough to know if your happy in the U.K or not..
Old Sep 13th 2004, 9:27 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua2778
You dont need to get Ozzie Citzenship.... you can just get RRV which means you have 5 years to return to oz if so desire... i think 5 years would be long enough to know if your happy in the U.K or not..
Five years might or might not be long enough, and personal circumstances can change.

Moreover, not taking citizenship can lead to problems later with children's rights to live in Australia - I have known two families that have gone though this. In both cases this caused unpleasantness, and one of the families was nearly torn asunder by it: one child (born in Australia to permanent resident children) was an Australian citizen, the other two (one born before migration, the other born after the family had left Australia) were not. The oldest child, who had gone to school and, largely, grown up in Australia, was desperate to return but was unable to do so whereas his younger brother could with no questions asked. Parents were blamed for not having taken out citizenship, brothers fell out over it, etc, etc.

It could all have been avoided. Given the ease of obtaining Australian citizenship, it seems almost incomprehensible to me that so many people, especially people from the UK, don't do it. Even people from New Zealand would be well advised to do so, because although New Zealanders can live in Australia at the moment with few if any formalities, things can change.

I would also add that, unlike some countries, Australia makes no demands of its expatriate citizens.

Last edited by CPW; Sep 13th 2004 at 1:47 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

sue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura about

Because it's a beautiful country and they speak English. Are you p**ssed off because you can't get in?
Old Sep 13th 2004, 12:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue_parker
Because it's a beautiful country and they speak English. Are you p**ssed off because you can't get in?
Your reply is a bit hostile

Are you p**ssed off at being asked? Does it worry you for some reason?

Celtic_angel lives in the US. Why would she/he want to go to Australia.

G
Old Sep 14th 2004, 3:18 am
axm
casual member

axm is just really niceaxm is just really niceaxm is just really niceaxm is just really niceaxm is just really niceaxm is just really niceaxm is just really niceaxm is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why Australia? Well, .......................

Jeremy

Very useful!
Thanks, Jeremy.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 4:04 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Your reply is a bit hostile

Are you p**ssed off at being asked? Does it worry you for some reason?

Celtic_angel lives in the US. Why would she/he want to go to Australia.

G
yeah Sue I agree you were having a bad day or what? Calm down hon I was just asking outta plain curiosity and am amazed at the response!

there's plenty of beautiful places out there!! Seems a little exteme to go all the way to Oz to catch some rays in my opinion and the fact that so many decide Oz is not for them cos of the shear distance away from family etc goes to show that it's not always the best place for a Brit to go so why the attraction?
just wondered in jest if all the Aussie t.v that's shown to people on a rainy day in U.k is brainwashing them into believing Oz is all "sun & Surf"

Oh and Sue in answer to your question no I've never even tried to get into Oz too many poisionous creepy crawlies for me :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.