Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why don't you think about Europe?

Why don't you think about Europe?

Old May 20th 2004, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why don't you think about Europe?

Originally posted by mickj
Surely you mean 2000 sq ft, and not 200 sq ft for £100k :-)

Yes you are quite right!

I meant 2,000 sq ft........which is far better value than 100,000 Quid for a 200 sq ft house!, sorry about that. (Bloody fingers)

Anyway, it's pretty good value for money so I am probably gona buy a place in Malaysia soon.
Old May 20th 2004, 1:44 am
wombat42

Originally posted by Ceri
between 92 and 98 there were 348 drowning in Qld (60 were tourists)

674 in NSW (30 were tourists)

Of course one could argue that there are more non tourists in the water than tourists. Another point to consider are tourists are not all foreign tourists .. a tourist can be a NSW visitor to QLD and vice versa (interstate holiday makers etc are also classed as tourists).

As for there are no beaches in Europe that are not overcrowded .. what cr*p! .. here's one of many in the UK.. let alone Europe. I hate generalisations .. as you see there are no people on the beach except us.(pic below)

I grew up by the sea in the UK.. and "I tells youse " that you don't half see some dull buggers of tourists getting into trouble .. my own hubby had to rescue a family with a young child many years ago on one of our beaches back home .. some people do not realise the dangers of underground tunnels. Just recently on a trip back to the UK, mum-in-law was telling me that her and her daughter had to warn some man and his kid about a well known dangerous spot ( where over the years a few people have lost their lives).. it's between two small islands where it's safe to swim when tide is coming in.. but going out there is one hell of a funnel and rips .. every year people lose their lives there.. anyway sister-in-law told the wife of the man on the beach about the dangerous ( He was an English tourist).. wife calls her husband back in.. husband being stupid ( suppose he thought he was macho) goes back out .. oh well, there's no telling some dull people.

so to say most tourists are crap swimming are another generalisation.. I don't half see some stupid aussies here too. Swimming alone at dusk, you don't half some sights.

Anyway, you are generalising. Not all Europeans, or Brit's grow up in cities, not all tourists, or foreigners are crap swimmers.. and to say being a crap swimming is the reason they drown is not so.. the reason they drown is through many factors, one being they don't see the dangers. You can be the strongest swimmer in the world and still drown in a rip.

Cheers

The worst swimmers are the Japanese and Chinese tourists, most of them would drown in a bath tub.

Old May 20th 2004, 2:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by paddythepilot
------------------------------------

South East Asia in a wonderful and colourful place, I certainly love it here!

Frankly speaking, you must be joking if you think property prices in Malaysia are more expensive than Australia! I was there in March and 100,000 Quid will buy you a truely wonderful 4 bedroom house, 200 sq ft, with a nice garden, fully furnished with an en-suite for each bedroom in a decent subsurb about half an hours drive from central KL.

There is no way you could get anything remotely similar in say Sidney, (equivalent to KL), further away fom KL and things get far more cheaper too!

As for cost of living, Malayasia is way cheaper than Oz, just the costs of daily foods are about half those of Brisbane, where is lived before, and taxes make it even cheaper of course.

Singapore is a totally different story, and of course prices are much closer or higher than Oz......for sure! (Hong Kong is even more expensive).

You can now buy property in Thailand, but only through a very complicated system of buying a trust company etc.......lots of aggro! Property in Malaysia can be purchase 'freehold'.

Overall, I think Malaysia has loads to offer and if you can stand the constant tropical weather...........a decent quality of life for not a lot of cash!

Ireland is good too of course, but I would say that eh? The only trouble with Ireland is the weather and the cost of living is not too far removed from the UK.

I hope nobody took offense.

Cheers

how do you work that out? this house I found is near KL 2 million Ringgit.(pic below). an average 4 bed home .. which is about $750,000 thousand AU$ , which in turn is almost 3 hundred thousand British pounds.( I actually lived in something similar to this in Sing.. but it was 1 mill sing. at the time.. exchange rate then was pretty close to Au dollar.. so it was almost the same in Au dollars, and after 100 years the property was no longer yours .. unless they have changed it now) ..

For $750,000 in Brisbane you will get a nice property... no worries. You will get something nice for around 400,000/500,000 never mind $750,000

I agree cost of living when it comes to food is cheap.. even in Sing.. if you shop at the local shops, and eat out at hawker centres. Cost of food is definitely more expensive in Aus and UK.

Tax.. no arguments there from me ... The tax is unbelievable in Western countries compared to Asia ... but you get what you pay for (can't believe I've said that! lol) .

There is also the downfall of the standard of medical,, Sing hospitals are very good , but if most hospitals in Malaysia are like the one I visited when I broke a leg (fell down a drain).. no thanks, it was like something out of "mash"

Trouble is a lot of these countries are excellent for being an expat ( I meal a real expat.. working for a company, with package) , but no good if you're on your own (no package) with a family of young children... so that would count hell of a lot of people out here that are looking for something to emigrate with their young kiddies etc.

Anyway I agree about Asia, Personally I love Malaysia ( used to spend a lot of time in Malaysia , weekends etc.. like most people in Sing do) and Thailand .. I don't think I would like to live in Malaysia though on a permanent basis.. Thailand yes.

Ireland? Can't say I would want to live there.. don't fancy getting back to my other half of roots ( I'm literally half welsh , half Irish by my blood,. mum is Irish.. but she managed to escape and marry a "nice" Welshman .. my dad ).. I'm quite happy with my home country Wales... and that is where I will be finally returning to.

cheers

P.s .. wasn't you looking to emigrate to Aus a while back, I seem to recall. I'll put my neck on the chopping block here.. if you love Asia ,.. you're going to find after a time ( a couple years down the track) in Aus you will miss Asia.. Aus is very boring/tame compared to Asia..
Attached Thumbnails Why don't you think about Europe?-5068.jpg  

Last edited by Ceri; May 20th 2004 at 2:15 am.
Old May 20th 2004, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ceri
how do you work that out? this house I found is near KL 2 million Ringgit.(pic below). an average 4 bed home .. which is about $750,000 thousand AU$ , which in turn is almost 3 hundred thousand British pounds.( I actually lived in something similar to this in Sing.. but it was 1 mill sing. at the time.. exchange rate then was pretty close to Au dollar.. so it was almost the same in Au dollars, and after 100 years the property was no longer yours .. unless they have changed it now) ..

For $750,000 in Brisbane you will get a nice property... no worries. You will get something nice for around 400,000/500,000 never mind $750,000

I agree cost of living when it comes to food is cheap.. even in Sing.. if you shop at the local shops, and eat out at hawker centres. Cost of food is definitely more expensive in Aus and UK.

Tax.. no arguments there from me ... The tax is unbelievable in Western countries compared to Asia ... but you get what you pay for (can't believe I've said that! lol) .

There is also the downfall of the standard of medical,, Sing hospitals are very good , but if most hospitals in Malaysia are like the one I visited when I broke a leg (fell down a drain).. no thanks, it was like something out of "mash"

Trouble is a lot of these countries are excellent for being an expat ( I meal a real expat.. working for a company, with package) , but no good if you're on your own (no package) with a family of young children... so that would count hell of a lot of people out here that are looking for something to emigrate with their young kiddies etc.

Anyway I agree about Asia, Personally I love Malaysia ( used to spend a lot of time in Malaysia , weekends etc.. like most people in Sing do) and Thailand .. I don't think I would like to live in Malaysia though on a permanent basis.. Thailand yes.

Ireland? Can't say I would want to live there.. don't fancy getting back to my other half of roots ( I'm literally half welsh , half Irish by my blood,. mum is Irish.. but she managed to escape and marry a "nice" Welshman .. my dad ).. I'm quite happy with my home country Wales... and that is where I will be finally returning to.

cheers

P.s .. wasn't you looking to emigrate to Aus a while back, I seem to recall. I'll put my neck on the chopping block here.. if you love Asia ,.. you're going to find after a time ( a couple years down the track) in Aus you will miss Asia.. Aus is very boring/tame compared to Asia..
----------------------
Ceri,

This is all very interesting about property prices because I was there (in KL) in March specifically to look at property prices and I didn't find anything as expensive as that?

Maybe there are some 300,000 Quid places in the centre of KL, but I didn't look in that area.

I was looking in a suburb called 'Raman Putra', which is about half an hours drive from the city centre.

In fact there were cheaper houses that 100,000 Quid in the same area and I can't see how a 2 Million Ringit house is the 'average' home in KL.......people just don't earn that kind of money (the average guy).

All the properties I looked at were 'freehold', no such 100 year lease......so I duno?

You are quite correct, I was looking to immigrate to Oz some time ago, but as time has gone on I am having second thoughts!

Frstly they have put the points pass mark upto 120......so I don't know how anyone can qualify anymore?

Secondly, I think you are right......after a couple of years in Oz, I would get bored and start to miss the colours and sights of Asia.

The main reasons is basically economic, I would not be able to find a job as well paid, with such low taxation as here in Hong Kong. So it make a lot of economic sense to stay here, enjoy the best that Asia has to offer......then 'retire' early and head off somewhere quieter......maybe Malaysia after all?

Don't get me wrong, I think Australia has a lot to offerm, certainly for children and family lifestyle etc........but having lived there for 1 years I can see some problems with the place.

As for Ireland, lovely place.......if they could just build a large glass roof over the whole country to stop the rain!

Cheers.
Old May 20th 2004, 11:39 am
mickj

But am sure they are better than you in Kareoke, computers, taking pictures, and travelling :-)

Originally posted by wombat42
The worst swimmers are the Japanese and Chinese tourists, most of them would drown in a bath tub.

Old May 20th 2004, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
We got beaches, history, nice people, cheap as well :scared:
Mais ne parlez pas Anglaise!!!
Old May 20th 2004, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JAJ!
Old May 20th 2004, 7:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by madscientist
Don't have an EU passport. I can't get UK citizenship because of the loyalty oath to the Queen that has been introduced; it would jeopardize my US citizenship.
Piffle, you don't need a UK passport anyway. You are eligible for residence in EU member states via marriage to your UK spouse.
Old May 20th 2004, 8:09 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
Mais ne parlez pas Anglaise!!!
Bollocks*!

Don't let a little tingly tangly language get in your way.

Everybody speaks English these days who's under 40 in Europe and who wants to speak to a sad old fart over 40 anyway?

I lived in a lot of European countries already and language was never a problem.
Old May 21st 2004, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Bollocks*!

Don't let a little tingly tangly language get in your way.

Everybody speaks English these days who's under 40 in Europe and who wants to speak to a sad old fart over 40 anyway?

I lived in a lot of European countries already and language was never a problem.
Now, now, Mr. Pleasance, there's no need to use words like that!

I am assuming your reply was "langue en joue"?

Unfortunately many expats want to move to a different country but not immerse themselves into that country's way of life. There are loads of expats who move to another country and exist in little expat ghettos - personally if I move to another country I try and live like the locals. I tried it in Australia, living with Australians, trying to adopt to the Australian way of living, thinking etc. but found it wasn't me, so I came home.

Besides, on the French issue, having two children (one of whom is of secondary school age) it would unfair on them. If they had been a lot younger, we would certainly have gone to France instead of Australia.
Old May 21st 2004, 6:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We got beaches, history, nice people, cheap as well.
Yes, but it's full of Europeans!
Old May 21st 2004, 7:03 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
Now, now, Mr. Pleasance, there's no need to use words like that!
Sorry I was too free with my cojones.

You can still buy better houses for less money everywhere in Europe (nearly) vs UK plus they generally have got better healthcare and education opps. EG Austria, France etc.
Old May 22nd 2004, 12:34 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Sorry I was too free with my cojones.

You can still buy better houses for less money everywhere in Europe (nearly) vs UK plus they generally have got better healthcare and education opps. EG Austria, France etc.
Yeh....but lederhosen and escargot....eeewe......