Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why do some people resent people who are happy in the UK?

Why do some people resent people who are happy in the UK?

Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do some people resent people who are happy in the UK?

There's been a fair few posts of late from people who seem to resent the fact that others may enjoy living in the UK, or want to move back to the UK.

I'm referring to the sarcastic remarks towards someone who made a simple statement that it was nice to be able to shop at Tesco; the coments from those who said that if returnees were really that happy being back in the Uk they wouldn't be posting here (as they'd be too busy enjoying life...and if they are on here they can't be happy after all); the people who were gleeful that in a recent poll, many others had said they made a mistake returning to the UK. But there have been more comments too.

Why are people so resentful of those who want to live in the UK? Is it difficult to accept that some people like living in the UK? Or is it that it makes people feel insecure about their own reasons for leaving?

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do some people resent people who are happy in the UK?

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
There's been a fair few posts of late from people who seem to resent the fact that others may enjoy living in the UK, or want to move back to the UK.

I'm referring to the sarcastic remarks towards someone who made a simple statement that it was nice to be able to shop at Tesco; the coments from those who said that if returnees were really that happy being back in the Uk they wouldn't be posting here (as they'd be too busy enjoying life...and if they are on here they can't be happy after all); the people who were gleeful that in a recent poll, many others had said they made a mistake returning to the UK. But there have been more comments too.

Why are people so resentful of those who want to live in the UK? Is it difficult to accept that some people like living in the UK? Or is it that it makes people feel insecure about their own reasons for leaving?

Any suggestions?
my personal experience when I read them thread/replies is that they are either jealous because someone has made the decision that they can't cos they think they are failure in their life or just plain meaness. Yes I am looking at leaving the UK but not because I don't like it, although have gotten fed up with the present government but don't see anyone better but because I would like to broaden my experience and have chance to do something withour looking back on my life and say "if only........."
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:36 pm
wombat42

Perhaps the thread below explains why anyone living in the Uk could be happy:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=prozac

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 29th 2005 at 7:47 pm.

Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Or is it that it makes people feel insecure about their own reasons for leaving?

Any suggestions?
I think this is more near the mark than many will admit.

G
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:48 pm
Merlot

Or is it that it makes people feel insecure about their own reasons for leaving?

Any suggestions?
Hi HP

With you 100% and your thoughts!!!

Why come onto the returning back to the UK Forum, post not so nice remarks when the posters have never even left the UK????

OR they have never lived for any length of time in the country they intend to migrate too????

OR if they have they certainly have never lived in my shoes and understand my mind?????

I have been PIG SICK to say the least with some of those of late with their sniping remarks when they don't know anyone personally.

I have no regrets about anything in my life, I am more determined to come onto this Forum and share more of the good, the bad and the ugly of both the UK and Australia!!!!

Long live free speech as there are not many things free left in life.

M

Last edited by Merlot; Mar 29th 2005 at 8:30 pm. Reason: Missed a bit out! Opps!!

Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:47 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions?
Hi HP!
I'm glad you started this thread because these same thoughts have been going round in my head all day. I dont know what the reason but it just seems some have nothing better to do than try to make others miserable. Only thing I can think of is jealousy or maybe they have their own miserable doubts on what they are doing and want others to feel the same. I havent been home in along time but I wasnt born yesterday. I have seen my surroundings here (USA) get dirtier and more infested with drugs and the crime that comes with it. Why would I think the UK would magically be immune to the harsh reality that is today?? I'm not trying to go home to 'paradise'. Just trying to go home.
Its not that I dont want to hear reality but some posters just have to keep on about how bad things are in the UK. Things are bad everywhere, but there's also a lot good everywhere.
I guess it just depends on how you look at things. To some of us it is the deeper things that bring happiness. Family, heritage, culture, and sure some little things too like certain foods. Theres nothing wrong with that.
Yes I want to leave the USA and yes I will tell you there is crime here and drugs and people who dont care and live off the goverment and litter... but Its because some tend to think only Britain has these things. Boy are they in for a surprise!! but as Dunroving said on another post, if on the USA forum some are talking about the good things then I'm certainly not going to butt in and start ranting about the bad stuff.
I lurk around on the other forums (the americans in the UK ones) and they seem to be much more positive and happy with the UK! And I have so much family in the UK that have always been quite happy there. Its a good thing because some would get completely turned off the UK reading some of these threads.
Why some have to ruin every pleasant thread is beyond me. I guess they are just miserable sods that cant seem to find happiness themselves.
Can you tell its been striking a nerve? lol.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:06 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by callé
Hi HP!
I'm glad you started this thread because these same thoughts have been going round in my head all day.

Can you tell its been striking a nerve? lol.
You and me both Calle, hope your planning and scheming for your return are going well?

M

Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:25 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
You and me both Calle, hope your planning and scheming for your return are going well?

M
Yes going well. some days it seems itll never get here as though Im just sort of waiting a long wait. Then some days I can almost feel panicky like its coming around faster and am I sure I am getting all things prepared? Like when you go somewhere and keep thinking 'what have I forgot'? Theres just so much involved when you have lived in the same place for so long and know you have to tie up all lose ends. My biggest worries are still how my dogs will handle the flight and how my children will adjust to school. I think I feel the need for sedatives coming on about a week or so before the flight.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I taught in primary school for a few years, and secondary school. The misery-guts who just have to stick their oar in on the "feel good threads" (for want of a better term) remind me a little of kids in school who make some kind of snide or uncharitable comment in class. They're not happy unless they are trying to make someone else UNhappy.

Just like with these idiot kids in class, the best response when someone jumps into a thread and spouts off a negative post is to ignore them. I know that may sound simplistic, but read through those threads and when you see that "we" get all upset right back at them, it is so clear that they got what they wanted.

But on the odd occasion that their intrusive comment is completely ignored by all and sundry, no response whatever, nada, then they become so obviously what they are - sad, small-minded people. And every person who reads through the thread gets to see it.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:53 pm
Badge

Have to admit, never resented, but a year or so a go I found some Poms on this forum just plain amusing...(!) It was like their whole lives revolved around novelty food stuffs and Asda. There was a massive list of British things, again complete novelty, many things which you can get anywhere in the world. Most made me shudder in embarassment. I have fitted alot in to my 35ish years, I was a physical training instructor, teacher, parachutist, skilled tradesman, sailor, technical defence consultant - lots of foreign travel and living overseas, responsibility for lifes and welfare, team leading roles, leading young men and women, in conditions that middle management men 20 years older than myself could only dream about; loads of training, physical training, loads of representative sport. I travelled the entire UK, spent time in the mountains and woods of both Wales, Scotland and England, working, or riding the moors of SW England when all the Poms were inside complaining it was raining. I loved my life in the UK then but now I am married with a baby on the way I am glad I have all I had in England in Australia as well.

Whenever people talk about wood fires and walks, I just point at the fire in my home - 2 - and the fire at the pub and vineyard around the corner - and the walks abound all along our lanes and bridleways; kilometres of walks. Yes, I live in Melbourne. I also look at how cheap it was to buy this, and maintain this without a single Asda in sight. It is not just a British thing. Dunroving, as you say, there are loads of snide remarks about people who enjoy life outside the UK too.

I suppose we are all different! You have to ask yourself - why am I going somewhere, and why should I stay or go back. Forget bloody Asda and the 101 yoghurts..Life be in it!!! So if you prefer life in England stay - but listen to yourself and your heart.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Mar 29th 2005 at 10:08 pm.

Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:29 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Any suggestions?
I agree.....but I think it works both ways too HP. There are some who resent hapiness whether it is in UK or Aus and often their happiness is referred to as "rose tinted" for whatever reason

Does it really matter where people prefer to live or if someone prefers one country over the other? If someone's heart is best placed in UK or Aus then so be it. It's their choice and what's best for them and only they can decide surely

Knowing what we all do about emigrating and re-patriation....and how tough it is.... money wise and emotionally..then it takes a lot of courage, time and effort to move to another country and back again....and surely no one does this for the "fun" factor

I agree we should respect anyone who makes the decision to get on with their lives, wherever that may be. Surely it's better for them to find happiness than live where they are very unhappy

Old Mar 29th 2005, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Hi all and thanks,

I was really angry about comments made by one individual to a recent post of mine. Sorry, but I couldn't just ignore them, they even sent me a pm to continue the rant and me being me couldn't ignore that either

I believe that some people are going to be that way no matter where they live in the world. It did remind me too of the catty people who sat at the back of the class slagging everyone off for being different.

As for the Tesco's bit, all I was saying was that people coming home can get essential household items cheap, especially as it can be a costly move coming back.

Is it any wonder that some people are put off staying on the forum after their return. I for one wont be, if I can help anyone whether they are moving back or staying i will.

Why do some people think they are better than everyone else? What happened to compassion and understanding?

Any way, I am happy, my kids are happy and the hubbie is too so that's all that matter really

Mandy
Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:14 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by scrawni
Any way, I am happy, my kids are happy and the hubbie is too so that's all that matter really

Mandy
Yep....that is all that matters.

It is your life afterall

Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Phoenix, you are a star! You have the nack of makin me smile, good on ya mate

Mandy
Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:58 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by scrawni
Phoenix, you are a star! You have the nack of makin me smile, good on ya mate

Mandy
No....it's you who's the star!

It takes balls to do what you've done Mand. Like you say....no one knows what goes on in people's lives and I for one admire how you've coped with things over the past 8 months.

Hats off to you and yours and good luck m8

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.