Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

why are any of you moving back to uk

why are any of you moving back to uk

Old May 19th 2003, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem is after 23 years is Dotty (2) really qualified to compare Oz to UK. She has made her bed and has to lie in it and good on her. Buta lot of people make this mistake as they are comparing the UK they left behind and seem to assume if has not changed sinced they got on the plane.

On the more important issue of fish and chips I have to say they are generally awful here in Oz although some of the new trendy places are better although obviously you get what you pay for. Why also, unless you know to stop them, do they shove so much salt on - and whilst i'm on the subject why do the aussies tend to load everything with salt ?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marlo
Originally posted by dotty
Not in any particular order.

I have read sooooooo much of your negative posts that I sent a copy of your post to a friend of mine who also lives in Brisbane shares the same name as you though that`s where the similarity ends.

Here`s what she thought of it!

hahahaha Lorraine..she is of her head. is she thinking of going back to the UK? sounds like she needs to.
five foot of water ??? she must live in a flood plain..there are some zones that flood in the wet season..for about five minutes!
in 23 years I have seen three snakes..one was a venomous one that moved away very quickly when we stamped our feet!! the other two were harmless..all were in comparitivly rural areas.
we had a fabulous break in a motel last year at Cabarita beach.. $199 for four nights for two including breakfast.We have a voucher now for four nights in a five star resort at Maroochydore on the sunshine coast for $250.00 for the two of us.
Tall poppy syndrome went out in the 90's!!
This is the fastest growing city in Australia and there is a wealth of things to do.
life is what you make it..
Its very different to the UK..and why should it be the same?
we left there !!!
ignorance of world events?? she is Joking!!! (or else ignorant herself.)
we have the strongest economy in the OECD ..a 2 billion surplus in the budget last week despite the drought (worst in history) bushfires (terrible in the southern states) and the war in Iraq..

there are problems here ..but unless you live in a monastery there are problems everywhere..LOL

Maybe she should go and check out Alabama (permanantly!!)
litigation mentality..didnt she hear what Prince Charles said about Brits becoming as litigatious as the USA???
ooh she makes me so mad..she obviously hasnt even tried to make a life here..
and she mentions fish and chips .well I have to say they are the BEST in the world (and I have eaten F& C in a lot of countries!!)
Tax..wait till she sees what you have to pay for in the UK..Council taxes pay and display parking..television licences..and a whole lot of other charges..
if she does go back to the UK I bet she doesnt stay there!!
so my advice is to ignore moaning minnie!
you will find out for yourself just what life is like here..and really it boils down to what YOU want in life..not what anyone else finds..
there are millions of ex pats in this country who have made a good life for themselves..and are very happy.
she is in the minority..and good riddence to her if she does go back.
love
dotl
VERY happy here!

Old May 19th 2003, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Originally posted by captaincook
The problem is after 23 years is Dotty (2) really qualified to compare Oz to UK. She has made her bed and has to lie in it and good on her. Buta lot of people make this mistake as they are comparing the UK they left behind and seem to assume if has not changed sinced they got on the plane.

On the more important issue of fish and chips I have to say they are generally awful here in Oz although some of the new trendy places are better although obviously you get what you pay for. Why also, unless you know to stop them, do they shove so much salt on - and whilst i'm on the subject why do the aussies tend to load everything with salt ?
I don`t think Dotty (2) has buried her head firmly in the Australian sand as I know she has made visits to the UK and has kept in constant touch with her friends & family here. From my point of view having spent 40 years here in the UK I haven`t seen a wonderful amount of improvements since my childhood. As for fish & chips, lifes more than that!!! I`ve had my fair share of bad take-aways here and guess what there`s too much salt aswell, obviously adds to the blandness.

G`day
Old May 19th 2003, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Now, about these Fish N Chips

I used to lived in Brisbane and the only 'semi' decent stuff I could find was in Toowoomba of all places! (even then they were covered in bread crumbs!)

Sorry, but Oz is not the best place in the World for this kind of meal!

I live in Hong Kong now and there is this great little place called 'The Chippy' near Hollywood Road........bloody fantastic! Even does decent mussy peas!

As for life in Australia generally, well I guess the place is what you make it, but I got a bit fed up with the high tax and lack of career opportunities.......same as the UK I hear you say?

Quite right! So I moved to Hong Kong!

Cheers............. now where was that vinegar?
Old May 19th 2003, 2:33 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

The most eaten dish in the uk is.................................

Chicken Tikka Masala.
Old May 21st 2003, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by paulf
The most eaten dish in the uk is.................................

Chicken Tikka Masala.
Are you sure its Chicken though
Old May 21st 2003, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
Are you sure its Chicken though

It can't be roadkill can it? Apart from straying pets is there any wildstock left?
Old May 22nd 2003, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

God, My biggest shock is that anyone actually thougt my real name was DOTTY. Its a posting name, nickname that three of us English "Immo" girls gave each other. All reckoned that we would go mad in oz hence the phrase going Dotty.
Old May 22nd 2003, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

God, My biggest shock is that anyone actually thougt my real name was DOTTY. Its a posting name, nickname that three of us English "Immo" girls gave each other. All reckoned that we would go mad in oz hence the phrase going Dotty.
and mine`s Rosy `cos of the tinted glasses I was wearing before I arrived here...
Old May 22nd 2003, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Is that ALL you can say in reply to someone who actually likes Brisbane and who has lived there longer than YOU??!!
Old May 22nd 2003, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Marlo
Is that ALL you can say in reply to someone who actually likes Brisbane and who has lived there longer than YOU??!!
Yep.

Of course some people like Brisbane, personally I dont.

Or I could have rubbished your post, like letting you know there is not a five star resort in Maroochydore etc.......

Why tho? Your friend is just as entitled to love OZ as I am to find it a .................................................. ................

However what on earth is a woman who loves Oz doing upsetting herself Reading "Going back to the UK' What did the old duck expect to find, people who love OZ perhaps?

Cheerio

Old May 23rd 2003, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Yep.

Of course some people like Brisbane, personally I dont.

Or I could have rubbished your post, like letting you know there is not a five star resort in Maroochydore etc.......

Why tho? Your friend is just as entitled to love OZ as I am to find it a .................................................. ................

However what on earth is a woman who loves Oz doing upsetting herself Reading "Going back to the UK' What did the old duck expect to find, people who love OZ perhaps?

Cheerio

The reason why she read the post was because I sent her a copy of it and wanted her opinion, as I have already said!!

Of course not everyone likes Australia but to listen to you, you`d think nobody did or will.

You are sooooo obviously homesick and missing your family, I wonder if your children and husband feel the same way as you do? You never mention them, are you all unhappy in Oz?

Old May 24th 2003, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

Alas ! Like so many things in Aus, fish & chips in Aus are not so much better or worse but "different".

I read somewhere a fanciful idea that humans carry a "metabolic memory"regarding food. Meaning that we can't help but equate certain foods with powerful childhood/ emotional memories. there fore Aus fish& chips will never be as good as British ones because of all the memories you have of the home grown stuff. When I was a kid, thurday night was "fish&chip" night,usually from Chippy Wood's in Aggbrig and, in my mind, they will never be beaten.

IMO, Yorkshire fish & chips fried in "mucky fat" can't be topped and Hadley's in Whitby is the best chippy in the world.
Old May 24th 2003, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Mark and Rosie is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down back in UK

hi to you all,just had agreat laugh at the letters ,we are not even going to OZ and i felt i had to join in I do not know if you are aware but fish is off the menu in the UK we are not allowed to catch it anymore (sorry there is NONE LEFT )in the north sea! you will have to have the curry instead i think we still have chikens! you can buy farmed or imported fish the farmed fish has been geneticly(spelt wrong!)grown and fed with fish caught from the North Sea!(Ithought there was no fish in the north sea? )AH and this is a good reason not to come back!there is fish but the DANISH<SPANISH,and our friends the FRENCH are only able to catch it! GOOD OLD UK the country that will sell its SOLE (sorry cod) to europe .come back all you home sick ex pats ,(make sure you book a return not a single) best of luck from a daft geordie
Old May 24th 2003, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

JeffBrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: back in UK

Originally posted by Mark and Rosie
hi to you all,just had agreat laugh at the letters ,we are not even going to OZ and i felt i had to join in I do not know if you are aware but fish is off the menu in the UK we are not allowed to catch it anymore (sorry there is NONE LEFT )in the north sea! you will have to have the curry instead i think we still have chikens! you can buy farmed or imported fish the farmed fish has been geneticly(spelt wrong!)grown and fed with fish caught from the North Sea!(Ithought there was no fish in the north sea? )AH and this is a good reason not to come back!there is fish but the DANISH<SPANISH,and our friends the FRENCH are only able to catch it! GOOD OLD UK the country that will sell its SOLE (sorry cod) to europe .come back all you home sick ex pats ,(make sure you book a return not a single) best of luck from a daft geordie

fish depletion is a threat worldwide. Here in canada newfoundland used to built around fishing, but its cod industry collapsed ten years ago and has never recovered...still an ongoing sourse of constititinal friction in fact. There was a (canadian) report recently, saying that worldwide stocks of fish had collapsed 90% over the last few decades...warned that unless major steps were taken, basically we (humans) would fish the sea's dry....
Old May 25th 2003, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Mark and Rosie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default return Uk (fish and chips )

Jef whilst sympathising for the cod stock in Canada i do not see how the north sea compares and if we are over fishing why is it the UK that have been penalised and not all member states of federal europe? you say that the depletion of the fish is down to over fishing! what about global warming ,oil waste and distruction of sea bed echo systems ,industrial fishing (massive by catch)for none human consumption ,if the science is correct depending on what side you stand on! the biomass of cod is up in the north sea ! the fact is that fishing is the smallest factor in this problem but they are the easiest to hit because they are all mostly self employed and work in a fragmented industry.what you do not realise or maybe you do is that the dredging of aggrigates (building materials)does more harm to the fish stockand replenishment than fisherman.Sorry to be so deep!i just wanted these peopleto know that the good old fish and chips may not be worth returning for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.