Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

why are any of you moving back to uk

why are any of you moving back to uk

Old May 11th 2003, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Crowson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default why are any of you moving back to uk

we are thinking of moving to oz .why are you moving back to uk?
Old May 12th 2003, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why are any of you moving back to uk

Originally posted by Crowson
OK. This will probably come across as very "negative" - it`s not meant to be, just realistic.

Reasons we moved to Oz:

1. "Bored" with our lives in the UK
2. Perceived poor educational standards
3. Perceived escalation of crime
4. Perceived better "lifestyle" - e.g. no mortgage in Oz, chance
to buy bigger house with land, etc. etc.

Reasons why we`re thinking of returning:

1. The grass is not always greener...
2. Educational standards in Oz are FAR, FAR, FAR, lower than
where we were in the UK.
3. Crime exists everywhere - move to a good part of UK = less
crime, move to a less desirable part of Oz = more crime.
4. No mortgage, yep, but lack of business opportunities (for a
myriad of reasons) and poor wages (i.e. I was on about
3 times the salary in the UK for the same job as I do here),
bigger house = more cleaning, loads more time spent
keeping the garden in order etc. etc.
5. FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

Note the use of upper-case in the last point!!!

I think Australia is a wonderful country - this is not meant to be a totally "negative" post - BUT, (and that`s a big BUT) it hasn`t given us what we were looking for.

In all honesty, I think we could have achieved our aims by relocating within the UK.

However, at least I can say "I tried it".
Old May 12th 2003, 9:11 am
Just Joined

DEAR ROSIE
THANKYOU FOR YOUR REPLY ON RETURNING TO THE UK.WHERE ABOUTS DID YOU STAY ? WAS CRIME AN ISUE? WAS IT REALLY THAT BAD?
Old May 12th 2003, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Not in any particular order.

Isolation from the rest of the planet.
Boring repetitive lifestyle.
Contact with family via the internet is not the same.
Sun is overrated, it is a pain, sunblock cancer etc
Backward 1985 everything.
Whoa expensive in relation to wages.
Suburban lifestyle and therefor mentality.
Beach and BBQ's make a holiday not a life.
Taxes, to the hilt, tax on everything.
Crumbling economy due to not enough workers to support the elderly and unemployed.
One upmanship women, hate it if you have what they dont.
Tall poppy syndrome, if you are rich/doing well they slag you off.
Litigation mentality.
Ignorance, of world events, ignorance of local events.
People who make their own ads.
It makes Alabama look sophisticated.

Great place for a holiday, great if you are in retirement mentality, but I am only 39 so I need a bit of life.

What I will miss.

My totally private rainforest, flowing creek & waterfall.
Five star hotels at < $200 a night.
Fish and chips for two $15.00
The TV, there really is nothing quite so awful and therefor funny in the whole world.
The kids I help read, and the way they struggle on in sauna type classrooms.
The storms, so violent, 5ft of water rising in the creek in minutes , the intensity of it, nothing like an aussie storm.
Walking outside to do something mundane and seeing a 6ft snake, or 3 ft lizard, it always amazes me and is unlikely to happen in SE UK.
Old May 12th 2003, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

DEAR ROSIE
THANKYOU FOR YOUR REPLY ON RETURNING TO THE UK.WHERE ABOUTS DID YOU STAY ? WAS CRIME AN ISUE? WAS IT REALLY THAT BAD?
Firstly, I live on the outskirts (aka Suburbia) of Brisbane.

Secondly, crime IS an issue in certain parts of the UK - that`s one of the reasons we left - but it is also an issue in certain parts of Brisbane. Luckily, we don`t appear to be living in one affected by high crime, and I do feel "safer" here than where we were in the UK.

Thirdly, it isn`t THAT BAD, as you put it. It`s purely a question of priorities, i.e. my priorities are: my children`s education and their future, the happiness of my family, and thirdly, to be able to earn a decent living.
Old May 12th 2003, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Crime affected us here,( Sydney first, then Bris, then Sun Coast), mostly in the Theft way. Car break ins house break ins, petty theft, just lock up everything you have.

You hear daily all the stuff as in the UK, Pedophiles, rape, violent crime etc, but you dont encounter it on every street corner. Just like the Uk its happening but certain areas are worse and common sense prevails, like you dont walk at night, let your kids play out in the street alone, women driving at night have phone, leave details with friend etc.

Drugs here are pretty huge tho. Dont underestimate it, dope is as common as wine, people pretty mulled out due to boredom I think. Huge hauls of drugs always being found.

The reason crime is often discussed here is because so many immigrants think Oz is crime free which is a load of rubbish. Just act like you do in the UK and you will be fine.
Old May 12th 2003, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Default DOUBTS ABOUT GOING NOW

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.MY PARTNER GOES TO MELBOURNE ON SAT FOR A JOB INTERVEIW.I DONT KNOW HOW BAD THIS AREA GETS WITH CRIME (MOORABIN AREA). I SUPPOSE IN THE SHORT TIME HE IS THERE HE WONT GET A FEEL FOR THE TRUE PLACE.I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MOVING THERE.MY KIDS ARE SUCH A PRIOTY AND THE THOUGHT OF MAKING A BAD MOVE
MAKES ME SHUDDER. WHERE WE LIVE IN UK HAS CRIME BUT WE CAN WALK OUR STREETS AT NIGHT AND FEEL OK AT THE MOMENT.I KNOW TIME MAY CHANGE IF THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T GET IT'S ACT TOGETHER.UNFORTUNATLY I WILL HAVE TO MOVE TO OZ BLIND.AS I DIDN'T WANT TO PUT MY KIDS THROUGH THE LONG FLIGHT.IF ANY ONE COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVICE IN THE MOORABIN AREA ,IT WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED.
MANY THANKS.
Old May 12th 2003, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

we moved back last year to scotland, from Perth. Haven't regretted it. Tired of the isolation, quite poor wages, lifestyle lacking a bit of 'zip'.
Crime exists in Oz. Your perception of it will depend on your experiences in UK, and whereabouts in australia you live. It's possibe you could move from a grotty part of london or glasgow and think things are a lot better....but you could also move from a 'nice' part of UK, and think things are horrendeous....we noticed lots of car crime and house theft there. Generally though its same with the UK....be sensible when you're in certain area's and you should be fine.
Old May 16th 2003, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DOUBTS ABOUT GOING NOW

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.MY PARTNER GOES TO MELBOURNE ON SAT FOR A JOB INTERVEIW.I DONT KNOW HOW BAD THIS AREA GETS WITH CRIME (MOORABIN AREA). I SUPPOSE IN THE SHORT TIME HE IS THERE HE WONT GET A FEEL FOR THE TRUE PLACE.I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MOVING THERE.MY KIDS ARE SUCH A PRIOTY AND THE THOUGHT OF MAKING A BAD MOVE
MAKES ME SHUDDER. WHERE WE LIVE IN UK HAS CRIME BUT WE CAN WALK OUR STREETS AT NIGHT AND FEEL OK AT THE MOMENT.I KNOW TIME MAY CHANGE IF THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T GET IT'S ACT TOGETHER.UNFORTUNATLY I WILL HAVE TO MOVE TO OZ BLIND.AS I DIDN'T WANT TO PUT MY KIDS THROUGH THE LONG FLIGHT.IF ANY ONE COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVICE IN THE MOORABIN AREA ,IT WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED.
MANY THANKS.
Using all UPPERCASE is considered shouting in netiquette; it's also harder to read.
Old May 17th 2003, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
Not in any particular order.

I have read sooooooo much of your negative posts that I sent a copy of your post to a friend of mine who also lives in Brisbane shares the same name as you though that`s where the similarity ends.

Here`s what she thought of it!

hahahaha Lorraine..she is of her head. is she thinking of going back to the UK? sounds like she needs to.
five foot of water ??? she must live in a flood plain..there are some zones that flood in the wet season..for about five minutes!
in 23 years I have seen three snakes..one was a venomous one that moved away very quickly when we stamped our feet!! the other two were harmless..all were in comparitivly rural areas.
we had a fabulous break in a motel last year at Cabarita beach.. $199 for four nights for two including breakfast.We have a voucher now for four nights in a five star resort at Maroochydore on the sunshine coast for $250.00 for the two of us.
Tall poppy syndrome went out in the 90's!!
This is the fastest growing city in Australia and there is a wealth of things to do.
life is what you make it..
Its very different to the UK..and why should it be the same?
we left there !!!
ignorance of world events?? she is Joking!!! (or else ignorant herself.)
we have the strongest economy in the OECD ..a 2 billion surplus in the budget last week despite the drought (worst in history) bushfires (terrible in the southern states) and the war in Iraq..

there are problems here ..but unless you live in a monastery there are problems everywhere..LOL

Maybe she should go and check out Alabama (permanantly!!)
litigation mentality..didnt she hear what Prince Charles said about Brits becoming as litigatious as the USA???
ooh she makes me so mad..she obviously hasnt even tried to make a life here..
and she mentions fish and chips .well I have to say they are the BEST in the world (and I have eaten F& C in a lot of countries!!)
Tax..wait till she sees what you have to pay for in the UK..Council taxes pay and display parking..television licences..and a whole lot of other charges..
if she does go back to the UK I bet she doesnt stay there!!
so my advice is to ignore moaning minnie!
you will find out for yourself just what life is like here..and really it boils down to what YOU want in life..not what anyone else finds..
there are millions of ex pats in this country who have made a good life for themselves..and are very happy.
she is in the minority..and good riddence to her if she does go back.
love
dotl
VERY happy here!

Old May 18th 2003, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

megawho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
OK. This will probably come across as very "negative" - it`s not meant to be, just realistic.

Reasons we moved to Oz:

1. "Bored" with our lives in the UK
2. Perceived poor educational standards
3. Perceived escalation of crime
4. Perceived better "lifestyle" - e.g. no mortgage in Oz, chance
to buy bigger house with land, etc. etc.

Reasons why we`re thinking of returning:

1. The grass is not always greener...
2. Educational standards in Oz are FAR, FAR, FAR, lower than
where we were in the UK.
3. Crime exists everywhere - move to a good part of UK = less
crime, move to a less desirable part of Oz = more crime.
4. No mortgage, yep, but lack of business opportunities (for a
myriad of reasons) and poor wages (i.e. I was on about
3 times the salary in the UK for the same job as I do here),
bigger house = more cleaning, loads more time spent
keeping the garden in order etc. etc.
5. FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

Note the use of upper-case in the last point!!!

I think Australia is a wonderful country - this is not meant to be a totally "negative" post - BUT, (and that`s a big BUT) it hasn`t given us what we were looking for.

In all honesty, I think we could have achieved our aims by relocating within the UK.

However, at least I can say "I tried it".

All of your points are extremely valid. I think the more time one spends out here, the more one notices some of the negatives of being in Oz, and also have a better appreciation of the positives of being in the UK.
Old May 18th 2003, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

..and good riddence to her if she does go back.
love
dotl
VERY happy here!

Oh dear, Dotty has really upset you hasn`t she? I think you have very valid points, but would like to redress the balance a little on one of them. When my husband and I told all our friends in Brisbane that we would shortly be returning to the UK,(despite having integrated well, given the appearance of being very settled in our new life, etc. to a man, they all said "were not surprised - so many go back again".

Also, I have to disagree with you on the fish and chips issue (albeit a minor consideration when moving from one side of the world to another!) - the best F & C I`ve ever had was in the UK - in Suffolk.

The chips over here are TERRIBLE!!! The fish varies in standard here from dire, through OK to wonderful!
Old May 18th 2003, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rosy
The chips over here are TERRIBLE!!! The fish varies in standard here from dire, through OK to wonderful!
The same thing can be said for F & C in the UK. I am constantly dissapointed with the soggy mess that most places serve up over there. Underdone chips and limp fish. At least at my local F & C restaurants here in Calgary I get a consistent good to very good standard.

Last edited by TimEh?; May 19th 2003 at 1:04 am.
Old May 18th 2003, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TimEh?
The same thing can be said for F & C in the UK. I am constantly dissapointed with the soggy mess that most places serve up over there. Underdone chips and limp fish. At least at my local F & C restuarant here in Calgary I get a consistent good to very good standard.
The trick is to find a place for "Mushy Peas"

I read somewhere that curry has replaced F & C as the national dish in the UK. Is this true?
Old May 19th 2003, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by flashman
The trick is to find a place for "Mushy Peas"

I read somewhere that curry has replaced F & C as the national dish in the UK. Is this true?
Shouldn't that be find a 'plaice' for Mushy Peas... And that wasn't said just for the halibut.

Don't want to brag (well - actually - yes - I do) but at the "Joeys Only" restaurants in Alberta and SW BC we get mushy peas. Bwaa ha ha ha haa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.