Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Who do you think you are? (TV programme)

Who do you think you are? (TV programme)

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who do you think you are? (TV programme)

Has anyone seen this program? It was on BBC 2 every day when I was home in December (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/index.shtml for background information).

It follows various celebrities (e.g., Bill Oddie, Ian Hislop, Myra Stewart, Meera Syal, Sue Johnston) as they delve into their family roots. One of the most interesting was Jeremy Clarkson, who found that a not-too-distant ancestor invented the Kilner jar. My brother bought me the accompanying book for Christmas and I have found the program and book have me itching to get into tracing family history (especially as we have some interesting family legends I'd be interested to look into ).

I also found that watching these people trapsing around all over the U.K. immersing themselves in their roots made me a little homesick (I know, I was there at the time, but you know what I mean). It just highlighted for me many of the qualities of Britain and British people that I miss over here. Once again, I've found myself thinking seriously about heading home for good. Do any of you find that watching British TV or movies get you feeling that way?
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who do you think you are? (TV programme)

Originally Posted by dunroving
Has anyone seen this program? It was on BBC 2 every day when I was home in December (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/index.shtml for background information).

It follows various celebrities (e.g., Bill Oddie, Ian Hislop, Myra Stewart, Meera Syal, Sue Johnston) as they delve into their family roots. One of the most interesting was Jeremy Clarkson, who found that a not-too-distant ancestor invented the Kilner jar. My brother bought me the accompanying book for Christmas and I have found the program and book have me itching to get into tracing family history (especially as we have some interesting family legends I'd be interested to look into ).

I also found that watching these people trapsing around all over the U.K. immersing themselves in their roots made me a little homesick (I know, I was there at the time, but you know what I mean). It just highlighted for me many of the qualities of Britain and British people that I miss over here. Once again, I've found myself thinking seriously about heading home for good. Do any of you find that watching British TV or movies get you feeling that way?
I never saw the series (I live in the US) but read the BBC Online pages about the celebrities who featured in each episode and what they discovered about their ancestors.

I would've found it fascinating to watch the shows. It would've covered events and social issues running through British history. I certainly can't picture American celebrities opening their personal lives and genealogy to the public like this though.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:28 pm
Merlot

Once again, I've found myself thinking seriously about heading home for good. Do any of you find that watching British TV or movies get you feeling that way?
Yep, and we did it. Funnily enough watching Home & Away doesn't make me want to go back to Oz, though I only see fleeting glances whilst remote control surfing, I have never watched it from start to finish! Promise!!!

Merlot

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I never saw the series (I live in the US) but read the BBC Online pages about the celebrities who featured in each episode and what they discovered about their ancestors.

I would've found it fascinating to watch the shows. It would've covered events and social issues running through British history. I certainly can't picture American celebrities opening their personal lives and genealogy to the public like this though.

NC Penguin
Yes, that gets exactly at the kind of British-ness qualities I'm thinking of. I saw 4 programs (Bill Oddie, Anne Johnston, Meera Syal, and Vic Reeves) and they were all the same: Quite reverently and genuinely touched by the trials and tribulations of their ancestors (when you think about it, life was a lot harder for most people only 40 or 50 years ago), nothing sensationalist or mawkish. Even though they were all show-biz types they came across as regular folks.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 10:02 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I cant stay away from BBC America. Even when I'm not particularly interested in the program. I find myself just looking at the scenery and as you say 'the Britishness'. Nothing like it.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:16 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Who do you think you are? (TV programme)

Yes, that gets exactly at the kind of British-ness qualities I'm thinking of. I saw 4 programs (Bill Oddie, Anne Johnston, Meera Syal, and Vic Reeves) and they were all the same: Quite reverently and genuinely touched by the trials and tribulations of their ancestors (when you think about it, life was a lot harder for most people only 40 or 50 years ago), nothing sensationalist or mawkish. Even though they were all show-biz types they came across as regular folks.
I would have loved to have seen some of those programmes too.

A few weeks or months ago my husband returned from a trip to London with a copy of "The Sunday Times". There was a very interesting article about the comedian David Baddiel. He is Jewish and during the TV series he discovered all sorts of surprises about his grandparents whom were caught up in the horrors of WWII. His grandfather (or poss. great-grandfather) was imprisoned by the UK government in a British seaside location (might have been on the Isle of Man or Blackpool area, I forget) - I think he was German or from somewhere in Eastern Europe and his political views were seen as a threat. He was treated well, but because of boredom he and his peers organised some sort of educational enrichment course.

I do miss historical buildings. The church where we were married was a tiny country Norman church (yes - the ones who invaded in 1066!) and the architecture and simple stone carvings are unique to that period of time in England.....there is nothing like it in the US or Down Under. I did wonder how many christenings, weddings and funerals had taken place there through the centuries. I also like to visit a church in a a beautiful hamlet just off the M40 in Warwickshire where the whole population died in the Black Death (Burton Dassett).
Old Jan 4th 2005, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I just love programmes like that! I have been tracing my family history for the last couple of years and have made good progress.

It sounds odd but even listening to the 'Bill' makes me homesick, listening to all the different accents, wonderful!

Mandy
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:31 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the Vic Reeves and Ian Hislop episodes when I was over there. It was great viewing and such a shame that we don't get to see more programmes like this in the US. Yes the sky was grey and the prices seemed extortionate, but being back in the UK was lovely. Another programme which was surprisingly fun to watch was Strictly Come Dancing. No way on earth would US celebs (except maybe unknown Z listers) put themselves out to learn ballroom dancing and then endure a popularity vote.

Talking of historic buildings, I saw a demolition programme on National Geographic yesterday. They were imploding "old and unwanted" arenas and buildings etc, most of which were built in the 70's!!! OLD! They don't know the meaning of old!