Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Who to contact when back in the UK?

Who to contact when back in the UK?

Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Who to contact when back in the UK?

Originally Posted by dottypotty
I came back in April and it took much longer to sort out benefits. 8 - 9 weeks for the child benefit and child tax credit.

To claim job seekers and certain other benefits, you will need to pass a Right to Reside test even if you are a British Citizen.
What is a Right to reside test ?

Even though I am British by birth ,will I still have to complete one ?

Thank you

Oh,and how far back will they honor the CB claim ,do they back date it 3 months ?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
What is a Right to reside test ?

Even though I am British by birth ,will I still have to complete one ?

Thank you

Oh,and how far back will they honor the CB claim ,do they back date it 3 months ?
Yes everyone has to prove habitual residence /habitual-residence-test-and-right-to-residel Which is to establish you have not just returned to claim benefits.

Creteum if you can get some evidence of the income. They can and frequently do checks at the end of the year and ask you to provide the proof. Everyone gives an estimate at the start of the claim but then have to prove it at the end of each year. I've only had to do it twice but they wanted every bit of paper relating to income, child care and pension.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Shellyj
Yes everyone has to prove habitual residence /habitual-residence-test-and-right-to-residel Which is to establish you have not just returned to claim benefits.

Creteum if you can get some evidence of the income. They can and frequently do checks at the end of the year and ask you to provide the proof. Everyone gives an estimate at the start of the claim but then have to prove it at the end of each year. I've only had to do it twice but they wanted every bit of paper relating to income, child care and pension.
Thank you ,I am surprised I had never heard of it

Sounds like a good idea though ,do you know when it was first introduced btw ?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:12 am
Just Joined

cretemum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for the advice!

Well, Dottypotty, the person I spoke to at the Tax credit helpline must have been vastly over estimating themselves! I must say I was surprised when she said that; your timings seem more realistic!

We have got a tax return from april 09 to april 10 from here in Crete so I will take that - thanks for the advice.

I have actually kept every bit of paper I've ever had here regarding officialdom and am taking it all back!!

Thanks again for advice.

x Cretemum
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:47 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill123
Hi Don

We have national insurance numbers so are fine with that.

I will register with employment agencies as I managed to get my last job by temping first and I had that job for 12 years!

We are heading back to North East of UK - Yarm.

Gill
Hi Gill,
I'm from the Boro too, born in Guisborough.

My list of places to contact are as follows.

Work and pensions, I'll write to the Overseas section in Long Benton before I leave the USA to give them an address update.

Job Centre

HMRC

Register to vote again
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

osnaith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gill

What a small world. Im from Kirklevington and went to school at Conyers in Yarm.

We are moving back home after 8 years in Mexico. Should be back in june 2011.

Hope your move goes well.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future

Hi Gill

We came back from the Gold Coast in December 2008. As someone else mentioned you will be entitled to Child Benefit and Child Tax credit immediately. You will be entitled to Working Tax benefit once you or your husband are working. Contribution based job seekers allowance can be paid if you have paid NI contricutions within the last two or three years (you will need to check as I am not sure but I think it is two), otherwise you can only claim income based if your income is below a certain amount around 16 thousand. When we came back we had to complete the habitual resident test. We did fail it first time but won on appeal.

By the way it really is a small world, we put a deposit down on a house in your road in 2003 but pulled out to buy somewhere else. We have now bought a house in the street next door.

Best wishes
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by barney41
Hi Gill

We came back from the Gold Coast in December 2008. As someone else mentioned you will be entitled to Child Benefit and Child Tax credit immediately. You will be entitled to Working Tax benefit once you or your husband are working. Contribution based job seekers allowance can be paid if you have paid NI contricutions within the last two or three years (you will need to check as I am not sure but I think it is two), otherwise you can only claim income based if your income is below a certain amount around 16 thousand. When we came back we had to complete the habitual resident test. We did fail it first time but won on appeal.

By the way it really is a small world, we put a deposit down on a house in your road in 2003 but pulled out to buy somewhere else. We have now bought a house in the street next door.

Best wishes
Sorry if this is too nosey -ignore if you like

How can one fail the test ?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Sorry if this is too nosey -ignore if you like

How can one fail the test ?
Ha! Easy - I am English through and through - and as you have to answer, I think it is 18 out of the 24 random questions, They are such senseless questions - it is hard to do. (I have failed the 6 times I have tried) Do Type into your browser ''BBC Life in the UK test''. and try them for real. -e.g. How many members in the Welsh Assembly? 4 possible answers to choose from. dontheturner
Old Nov 19th 2010, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Ha! Easy - I am English through and through - and as you have to answer, I think it is 18 out of the 24 random questions, They are such senseless questions - it is hard to do. (I have failed the 6 times I have tried) Do Type into your browser ''BBC Life in the UK test''. and try them for real. -e.g. How many members in the Welsh Assembly? 4 possible answers to choose from. dontheturner
Well, Thank you Don ...I think I will get in some practice while I am still here

Who would have thought we could fail ?

I've only been out of the UK five years lol !
Old Nov 19th 2010, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

So I just had a browse around Google ,it does not talk anywhere about British Passport holders needing to take it ?

Of course I believe you all ,just can't get info for my situation ?

Is it that we have to take it if we need to claim TAX credits/working tax etc ..?

Took the test BTW ,and scored 7 lol ...guess I am not really British after all !

Well I don't have a copy of that book ,maybe that will help
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:43 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The Life in the UK test is for immigrants not for UK citizens. Something to do with either permanent residence or citizenship I forget DDL took it already I think.
You just have to show that you are back to live permanently. Things like, you sold your house/business, got a job in UK, got the kids enrolled in school, re registered with the GP, and on the electoral roll, have a lease for a house for the next year or whatever, or bought a house, etc etc.
They didn't even ask my son for anything, I was expecting that he would be asked. All they wanted was his proof of citizenship (passport and BC and few other bits) and they sent him his NIN and started him signing every two weeks for Job seekers, he started getting money about 10 weeks later and he continued looking for work and now is working full time.
ED did pretty much the same going back to Scotland, only she had never been issued a NIN and had to chase it down.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

So I just had a browse around Google ,it does not talk anywhere about British Passport holders needing to take it ?
Of course I believe you all ,just can't get info for my situation ?
Is it that we have to take it if we need to claim TAX credits/working tax etc ..?
Took the test BTW ,and scored 7 lol ...guess I am not really British after all !
Well I don't have a copy of that book ,maybe that will help
No, If you are British, like you & I, you do not need to take the test, but if you are returning with a partner/Wife who is not - then they need to, or they cannot get all the benefits, that might otherwise be possible! The part many mention, is ILR,which is not available, and after the first Settlement Visa, you have 27 months to take the test, to remain. (My Wife is Thai - so needs to). If you and I have difficulty with it, just think how hard for a stranger, as it were.---- It only applies to a person, who does not have a British Passport. love Don xx

Last edited by dontheturner; Nov 19th 2010 at 3:00 am. Reason: E&OE
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:19 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
No, If you are British, like you & I, you do not need to take the test, but if you are returning with a partner/Wife who is not - then they need to, or they cannot get all the benefits, that might otherwise be possible! The part many mention, is ILR,which is not available, and after the first Settlement Visa, you have 27 months to take the test, to remain. (My Wife is Thai - so needs to). If you and I have difficulty with it, just think how hard for a stranger, as it were.---- It only applies to a person, who does not have a British Passport. love Don xx
I can imagine, and it's in a second language for your DW too. I hope she manages OK.
I did the US version for my citizenship here, it included being able to read and write in English and answer 70% of the questions right things like name the branches of the government and name 4 of the original states (I stuck with all the ones with the word new in the front, that helped a lot)
But when they give the test to US citizens they fail miserably quite often.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of

Wow! That's amazing! We haven't met anyone in Perth from our local UK area. It would have been nice to - just to start off with something in common. We plan to return to the same "new" bit of Ingleby Barwick - just have to wait until the end of the year to see if our daughter has a place at St Francis school.

Are you glad you made the move back?

Originally Posted by barney41
Hi Gill

Wow! That's amazing! We haven't met anyone in Perth from our local UK area. It would have been nice too - just to start off with something in common. We plan to return to the same "new" bit of Ingleby Barwick - just have to wait until the end of the year to see if our daughter has a place at St Francis school.

Best wishes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.