Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Who to contact when back in the UK?

Who to contact when back in the UK?

Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of
Default Who to contact when back in the UK?

Hi All

Can someone please advise me on who to contact in terms of the government and it's different agencies when we return?

I have two children so I know I'll be contacting the child care benefit section.

I think that one of us has to be working for 16 hours minimum a week before we can claim family tax credit.

My husband hopes to get work immediately or set himself up in business again. I will start applying for work once I've got the girls settled in school and us sorted in a rental. Can I claim anything while I'm not working?

Any advice would be appreciated as my husband and I always worked full time in the UK, so we've never had to "claim" for anything.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:40 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who to contact when back in the UK?

Sign back up at the doctors, go in the Jobcentre plus and sign on and look for work, sign the kids up for school. I think thats about it, so long as you are legal residents/citizens.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:17 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill123
Hi All

Can someone please advise me on who to contact in terms of the government and it's different agencies when we return?

I have two children so I know I'll be contacting the child care benefit section.

I think that one of us has to be working for 16 hours minimum a week before we can claim family tax credit.

My husband hopes to get work immediately or set himself up in business again. I will start applying for work once I've got the girls settled in school and us sorted in a rental. Can I claim anything while I'm not working?

Any advice would be appreciated as my husband and I always worked full time in the UK, so we've never had to "claim" for anything.
the benefit system has just been given a huge shakeup so things may be a little different in terms of entitlements to when you left.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Hi All

Hi Gill, you also need to visit the Department of Works and Pensions, and they can give you a National Insurance number card- If you already have a number, they will find it for you, should you have forgotten it. You could also register with Any Employment Agencies, in the nearest Town. - You can find work quicker that way sometimes. What area are you going to? dontheturner
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Gill, you also need to visit the Department of Works and Pensions, and they can give you a National Insurance number card- If you already have a number, they will find it for you, should you have forgotten it. You could also register with Any Employment Agencies, in the nearest Town. - You can find work quicker that way sometimes. What area are you going to? dontheturner
Hi Don

We have national insurance numbers so are fine with that.

I will register with employment agencies as I managed to get my last job by temping first and I had that job for 12 years!

We are heading back to North East of UK - Yarm.

Gill
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud of

Good luck Gill, when I was back in the UK a couple of years ago for 6 months, I registered with temp agencies and found work pretty easily.

I have always remembered by National Insurance number and can quote it off the top of my head for some bizarre reason! I have more difficulty remembering my phone number.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Hi Don

We have national insurance numbers so are fine with that.

I will register with employment agencies as I managed to get my last job by temping first and I had that job for 12 years!

We are heading back to North East of UK - Yarm.

Gill
Hi Gill, Best Wishes, for your return. My Step Grand-daughter went to Middlesbro' College, and we attended the Cap & Gown ceremony there, so I know the area a little - seems lively!
My Thai Wife and I just booked our flights, with BA for 21st February, so we are counting down. Regards Don
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Hi Gill, Best Wishes, for your return. My Step Grand-daughter went to Middlesbro' College, and we attended the Cap & Gown ceremony there, so I know the area a little - seems lively!
My Thai Wife and I just booked our flights, with BA for 21st February, so we are counting down. Regards Don
Hi Don

Thank you for your kind wishes.

Middlesbrough is very lively. We will be about 10 miles away from there.

Very best wishes to you and your wife on your return.

Gill x
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Don

Thank you for your kind wishes.

Middlesbrough is very lively. We will be about 10 miles away from there.

Very best wishes to you and your wife on your return.

Gill x
Hi, againj, If you wish to see our place, type in TF1 3QF, in Google Earth, go to street view, and click on the last camera on the right, and when you see a small house with two trash bins on the driveway, I own that one! love Don xx
Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Hi All

As another poster has said there have been big shake ups by the condems. The hrs needed for working tax credits will soon be changed to 24. And the income limits have been lowered.
If you can claim anything while not working depends on household income and if you have paid NI contributions in 2008/09.

You can read about some of the changes here. Lots of people are affected and will no longer qualify for benefits. moneysavingexpert.com
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi, againj, If you wish to see our place, type in TF1 3QF, in Google Earth, go to street view, and click on the last camera on the right, and when you see a small house with two trash bins on the driveway, I own that one! love Don xx
Hi Don

What a lovely place! It looks very similar to the area we are heading back to - TS17 5AL.

Hope you will keep us all up-to-date on how you find life back in the UK.

Love

Gill xx
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shellyj
As another poster has said there have been big shake ups by the condems. The hrs needed for working tax credits will soon be changed to 24. And the income limits have been lowered.
If you can claim anything while not working depends on household income and if you have paid NI contributions in 2008/09.

You can read about some of the changes here. Lots of people are affected and will no longer qualify for benefits. moneysavingexpert.com
Thank you for that - I'll have a good read through.

We left the UK in Oct 2008 so I paid NI contributions up until that point. I'm not holding out much hope of being able to get any benefits, but it would be nice!

I just hope the exchange rate stays where it is for the next few weeks so we can get the maximum for our AUDs. Then we just need school places, a house, jobs, cars........!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

cretemum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gill

I have just joined the forum (after reading for some weeks).

Your situation seems similar to mine in some ways.

We are (husband, myself and 3 children, 4, 8, 11) moving back to the UK in Feb. next year.

With regards to the Working/Child tax credits.

I telephoned the Tax credit helpline and was told we qualify for child tax credit immediately; when we get to the UK, call and request application forms. Complete and return; 21 day turnaround time, back dated.

Once we start work (we fully intend to asap) - call and alter above application to be eligible for Working tax credit as well as child tax credit; again approx 21 days & backdated.

With regards to previous years earnings; we have only self employed earnings here in Greece with no 'proof' as such. I approximated dh earning for last tax year. I was told by Tax credit helpline that this self declared figure would be used as basis for claim.

Child benefits; call helpline and they will send out application form - 2-3 week turnaround - 3 children = 47 pound a week.

Hope this helps.

Best of Luck.

x
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cretemum
Hi Gill

I have just joined the forum (after reading for some weeks).

Your situation seems similar to mine in some ways.

We are (husband, myself and 3 children, 4, 8, 11) moving back to the UK in Feb. next year.

With regards to the Working/Child tax credits.

I telephoned the Tax credit helpline and was told we qualify for child tax credit immediately; when we get to the UK, call and request application forms. Complete and return; 21 day turnaround time, back dated.

Once we start work (we fully intend to asap) - call and alter above application to be eligible for Working tax credit as well as child tax credit; again approx 21 days & backdated.

With regards to previous years earnings; we have only self employed earnings here in Greece with no 'proof' as such. I approximated dh earning for last tax year. I was told by Tax credit helpline that this self declared figure would be used as basis for claim.

Child benefits; call helpline and they will send out application form - 2-3 week turnaround - 3 children = 47 pound a week.

Hope this helps.

Best of Luck.

x
Thanks for this ,after being away for 5 years I was wondering how things would work out ,this sounds very up to date -great info !
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Texas and soon back to normality in the UK!!!!Yeh!!!!!
dottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nice

I came back in April and it took much longer to sort out benefits. 8 - 9 weeks for the child benefit and child tax credit.

To claim job seekers and certain other benefits, you will need to pass a Right to Reside test even if you are a British Citizen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.