Wikiposts

where were you when...

Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

monique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud of
Default Re: where were you when...

Originally Posted by islandmom

sad though that we seem to feel more for this event than something like the Tsunami which killed HUNDREDS of thousands of people .....
I know you did not mean to offend anyone, but I cannot understand how you can compare an act of evil and terrorism versus an act of nature, it is not about numbers, it is not about how many people perished in one versus the other tragedy. People are killed all the time in accidents, illnesses, etc., and although it hurts to lose someone in any way, it is a lot more difficult to accept losing a loved one in such a despicable, murderous way, this is what makes 9/11 and any terrorist attack different than any earthquake, tsunami, traffic accident, etc., it isn't the number of victims.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:20 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by monique
I know you did not mean to offend anyone, but I cannot understand how you can compare an act of evil and terrorism versus an act of nature, it is not about numbers, it is not about how many people perished in one versus the other tragedy. People are killed all the time in accidents, illnesses, etc., and although it hurts to lose someone in any way, it is a lot more difficult to accept losing a loved one in such a despicable, murderous way, this is what makes 9/11 and any terrorist attack different than any earthquake, tsunami, traffic accident, etc., it isn't the number of victims.
put it this way - due to media and spin there are things that are covered so extensively (many films, documentaries etcc) and so specifically (as in heavily targeted at personal stories) that it is meant to become something we are absorbed by.

Katrina, Tsunami etc etc get a fraction of the coverage because - honetly - this is not want the government and networks think will pull our heartstrings as much, or invoke such national pride and patriotism or network ratings.

and if you lose your loved one in a natural disaster be sure that your feelings of loss are no less than if they were a victim of a terrorist attack.

Its like Princess Diana - I had no real opinions on her when she was alive, but with the days of media coverage following her death I was one of those sobbing and wailing like a baby purely from the media coverage I watched and read - it made me feel much more, it was so intense and personal.

No tradgedy should be lessened, or forgottten but the reality of 9/11 is that the government and politicians NEVER want you to forget and will keep it at the forefront of American minds for as long as possible. Things like Katrina are minimised is relation and apart from a couple of network segments are largely quiet.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:28 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: where were you when...

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
There's a very strange atmosphere at work today, given the date. Everybody's subdued and there's a sad kind of atmosphere.

I just had a chat with one of my bosses about 'his' experience of 9/11 - he was ironically meant to be flying that day to see his grandmother in Florida, but she'd passed away so he'd cancelled his flight. He told me he figured it was her looking out for him from up above.

I think everybody will remember exactly where they were when they heard the news about the 9/11 attacks - but being so close to New York, everybody's story I've heard is pretty vivid. Just thought I'd ask if anybody wanted to share where they were that day, or wanted to mention anybody they wanted to pay tribute to.

My story was fairly boring - I was at home in France when I heard the news. I was SO ignorant of America that I thought the World Trade Centre was in Washington DC (and that DC was north of New York.)

Little did I know that two months to the day, I'd be landing in JFK for the first time.

God bless all those touched by the tragedy.

ps. MODs - please feel free to move/merge this thread if there are other similar ones cropping up.
I was at home in Lincolnshire, emailing out some stuff during the afternoon, when an email appeared in my inbox from my ex-girlfriend in Michigan. She was writing to tell me that America was under attack and some planes had gone into the WTC. I put the TV on, and there it was all over the news. I was totally shocked but could'nt stop myself from watching as the planes hit the WTC as they re-ran the tape on the news.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 4:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd taken a year out to go travelling and my (then) girlfriend and I had boarded the 20-hour train ride from Alice Springs to Adelaide at lunchtime on September 11th (still late on the 10th in the US at that time).

We were in coach, and I remember waking up in a groggy fashion just as first light appeared over the countryside and listening to a low muttered conversation a young and scruffy guy sat in front of us was having with a neighbour. He had a portable radio on low volume and with the rumbling of the train wheels and loud snoring of others in the carriage (girlfriend included) I was struggling to listen to what was being said. I was half-asleep, and perhaps should have asked outright as it was key words including "plane", "WTC" and (presumably misrepresented by the radio announcer) "10,000 dead" that had captured my attention. I must admit that after a couple of minutes I had already dismissed him as some sort of sick nutter.

We arrived in Adelaide at around 9am on the 12th, and still feeling uneasy I walked over to a news-stand only to find that they were sold out of every single newspaper. At this point I suddenly felt very, very sick. We found a small TV on mute in the corner of a crowded station waiting room, and could see clips of planes and towers looping over and over again but couldn't get near enough to see much.

We were due to stay with friends-of-friends who lived in the suburbs for a few days so we hoofed it across to their place and spent the entire day sat in front of the TV.

I remember suddenly feeling very, very far from home, and (in this emotional state) that world war three would surely errupt (assuming that the U.S. would surely retaliate immediately against whoever had done this) and we'd be stranded in Australia.

I still struggle to hold it together when I walk past ground zero.