Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where in UK would you recommend to settle?

Where in UK would you recommend to settle?

Old May 10th 2004, 7:51 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Where in UK would you recommend to settle?

Hi All,
Just happened to pass and thought I would stop off in the forum.

I am living in a small minded town and I grew up here. Came back here when returning from Oz. I hate it here, it is a loveley area, on the edge of the staffordshire forest, so not complaining about the country side. It's just that having grown up here and moved away when I was 16 and then returning when I was 40 just did not work. I have lived in Holland and Oz and just want to live somewhere, anywhere but this town. I have 2 sisters who look down at me because I dont own my own house (having traveled etc never got around to it) and the town is so small that everyone knows everyones business and it is a nightmare. I am working for myself now and am doing very well but just need some friendly tips on nice areas. Anyone got any ideas? Not into inner cities although it is nice to live within 30-45 minutes of one.
I did go up to Morecambe and the lakes for a look but am spoilt for choice. Love North Wales too and have lots of freinds there.
Bare in mind I have 3 sons and they start full time school September so must consider them.
Any advise would be gratefully received.
Nicholls Clan
Old May 10th 2004, 10:36 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

i come from a small town too but havnt lived there for 15 years - but i can relate to what your saying..

im going back - the two places in mind at moment are london and edinburgh!

have you thought of scotland?
Old May 10th 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in UK would you recommend to settle?

Originally posted by nicholls clan
Hi All,

I am living in a small minded town and I grew up here. Came back here when returning from Oz. I hate it here, it is a loveley area, on the edge of the staffordshire forest, so not complaining about the country side. It's just that having grown up here and moved away when I was 16 and then returning when I was 40 just did not work. I have lived in Holland and Oz and just want to live somewhere, anywhere but this town. I have 2 sisters who look down at me because I dont own my own house (having traveled etc never got around to it) and the town is so small that everyone knows everyones business and it is a nightmare. I am working for myself now and am doing very well but just need some friendly tips on nice areas. Anyone got any ideas? Not into inner cities although it is nice to live within 30-45 minutes of one.
I did go up to Morecambe and the lakes for a look but am spoilt for choice. Love North Wales too and have lots of freinds there.
Bare in mind I have 3 sons and they start full time school September so must consider them.
Nicholls Clan
Old May 10th 2004, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I can relate to that, I went back after a number of yearsand found you cant go back as often people live in a time warp and you change but they dont.

If you have a majority of friends in Wales why not move nearer to them and not too far from a city for work etc. Also some of the houses in Wales are much cheaper. Also if you have mates already there, they should be able to tell you the good areas, schooling etc. Might be easier than going "cold" into an unfamiliar area where you know no one.

Good luck

Hi All,

Nicholls Clan
Old May 10th 2004, 11:29 pm
mickj

I think your budget will have a big impact on where you end up settling down into, there are also other issues like schools for the kids, recreation, entertainment, and safety issues to take into consideration !

Old May 11th 2004, 7:14 am
Just Joined

gill is an unknown quantity at this point

What about Cheshire: near Chester? It's just over the border from North Wales. It's a beautiful small city (decent shopping/restaurants/culture/few theatres etc.) and Manchester and Liverpool aren't a million miles away if you want more action. Cheshire has some great schools too. Chester itself can be quite expensive propertywise, but you could live just into North Wales where it's a bit cheaper....
Gill
Old May 11th 2004, 11:16 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi All,

Nicholls Clan

Get yourselves up to Cumbria, I live in Penrith, right of junction 40 of the M6, lovely friendly town and on the door step to the Lakes. Or how about Kendal, haven't lived there but have always thought it is a nice town and again handy for the Lakes and M6. Depends what you want out of life. I was born and brought up in Penrith and then lived in the country for 20 years before we went to Oz, came back and decided to try the town (first time in 40 years for hubby) and we all love it. Good schools etc (has one of the top grammar schools in the country) and nice friendly people without them being in your face. House prices are still affordable although they have risen considerable since we returned, looking at about £165,000 for a 3 bed semi in nice area (actually there arn't any bad areas).

Good Luck with your decision and let me know if you want any info on this area.

Susan
Old May 11th 2004, 2:15 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by heading downunder 2002

Good Luck with your decision and let me know if you want any info on this area.

Susan
Hi Susan
any info would be great. my one decent sister lives in Morecambe and has done for 15 years now. They like it there as it is easy for going to the lakes etc. We did try looking around north of Blackpool along the coast there but with not knowing the area just are so unsure.
We must be within easy access for M6 as i travel and buy stock from places in Birmingham manchester and Chester. I do not mind traveling for stock as I get to visit other family and friends at the same time. We must try and get somewhere before the boys start school full time in September. We can at least go off for weekends and scout out areas. Nothing like peoples honest opinions though to help.

Mercedes
Yes I do have friends in North Wales but they are not to keen to recommend as they are all travelers or ex pats returning back home and living in towns and villages they left many years ago and like me moan about the people they went to school with and the areas. So can never get an honest answer out of them.

gill
I will look around Chester next time I go up there getting stock. It is nice and easy for jaunts into Wales and of course the old M6.
Old May 11th 2004, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

longton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Just thought i'd add.

I lived in Morecambe as a teenager, from that perspective it was horrible. My parents still live there so I still go up there. Nothing has changed for the better, so parents are moving.
As you mentioned you lived near Staffordshire forrest. I live the top end Staffs - border with Cheshire. Sadly the same applies here too. We have lived in Bedforshire, which was a nice place. I assume that there a good and bad points to where ever you live.

I know I sound negative, which I do appologise for.

Regards
Longton
Old May 12th 2004, 7:14 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nicholls clan
Hi Susan
any info would be great. my one decent sister lives in Morecambe and has done for 15 years now. They like it there as it is easy for going to the lakes etc. We did try looking around north of Blackpool along the coast there but with not knowing the area just are so unsure.
We must be within easy access for M6 as i travel and buy stock from places in Birmingham manchester and Chester. I do not mind traveling for stock as I get to visit other family and friends at the same time. We must try and get somewhere before the boys start school full time in September. We can at least go off for weekends and scout out areas. Nothing like peoples honest opinions though to help.[QUOTE]

Have a look on this property web sites for houses in Penrith and the surrounding area

www.penrithestateagents.co.uk

Penrith itself has three primary schools, one of these is a catholic primary. The one my little girl attends is for infants and then she will move to another site for juniors. Great school and she loves it. The other primary school is also very good. There is Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, where selection takes place and also Ullswater Community College. I will have no concerns about which my little girl goes to eventually (she is only 4 1/2).

It takes us approx 2 1/2 hours to get to Stafford (where my sister lives) so that gives you an idea of travelling times.

Penrith is a lovely market town, probably not busy enough for a lot of people but it suits us fine and if you fancy a walk with breath taking scenery the Lakes are right on your doorstep.

Nearest city Carlisle is 20 mins up the M6 (have done it in less but don't tell the hubby!!!) probably more like a very large town than a City but has all the major shops, M & S, Next, Debenhams, Gap BHS etc etc.

Anyhow hope this helps, I probably shouldn't be advertising Cumbria too much, everyone will want to come, tell you what keep it between us should we.

Susan
Old May 12th 2004, 8:43 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cumbria is horrible, nasty place,cold, wet, terrible views stay away......

please do not encourge people to move to this area, I need some space left there for when I retire