Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where to start on return to UK

Where to start on return to UK

Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:09 am
Just Joined

sos1664 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Where to start on return to UK

Does anyone know where to start if returning to the UK when the only money we have is tied up in our house in OZ? Need to sell the house to fund return but this may take too long and really want to be back to get kids into school for September ( 2 Primary and 2 secondary ). Would I get any help with housing if house didn't sell in time and my partner stayed until it was sorted? Do I have to wait too? Very confused, does anyone know where to start? Is it possible to find out anything in advance or is it just a case of turning up ( Could afford to rent for a month or two possibly initially ) and seeing what help there is from there?
Any help very much appreciated as very confused as to what to do next ....
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:18 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start on return to UK

Hi and welcome to BE,

Do you have any family and friends in the UK? As it seems many (but not all) tend to stay with family/friends when they first move back until they get back on their feet or find a place to live.

You might want to check out this thread too, as it's jam-packed full of really great links that members moving back to the UK have found useful.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

graphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant future

Hi, I'm in same position but in US. My brother called a estate agents where they live and they said I needed to have 6 months rent up front unless I had a job as I have no credit history in the UK (been out now for 21+ years) even though I owned two houses before I left in 1990. I'm also having to go through getting Brit citizenship for my daughter who we adopted from China, of course before it became part of Hague Convention which would have made life a lot easier. Plus I'm having to sponsor my husband who is a US citizen on settlement visa, figure out what to do with our house we own and get my two dogs sorted out with blood tests etc. so they can enter country (which is only about a 4 month window). I think we may have to do it in three stages, me with kids over (once daughters citizenship sorted out and passport) dogs and hubby. If you are all Brit citizens then I think it will be easier for you and less time...but I do understand about the house thing, seems it was easier for me to leave the country than to get back in with everything.
Good luck
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:26 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sos1664
Does anyone know where to start if returning to the UK when the only money we have is tied up in our house in OZ? Need to sell the house to fund return but this may take too long and really want to be back to get kids into school for September ( 2 Primary and 2 secondary ). Would I get any help with housing if house didn't sell in time and my partner stayed until it was sorted? Do I have to wait too? Very confused, does anyone know where to start? Is it possible to find out anything in advance or is it just a case of turning up ( Could afford to rent for a month or two possibly initially ) and seeing what help there is from there?
I think you are in a very fortunate position having a house to sell, why not wait until it sells? One of the reasons we are trapped here is we have no house to sell and therefore would have no equity to take back to help.
I hope that you are not entitled to any 'benefits' or help with housing as i would be very disappointed in the uk system
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:21 am
Just Joined

graphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant future

Unfortunatley we are upside down so have no equity in the house and will probably be walking away from it. Our safety has also been affected by us staying in our house due to our neighbor that we have a pending lawsuit against. I have a 6 and 10 year old who cannot even play in their backyard due to their safety. I have no family here to stay with so the decision to move back is very easy. My Dad is 83 and not in the greatest of health. Depending how long you have been out of the country you will not be able to get housing from the government or any financial assistance for 6 months. So you are actually in a easier situation at least you can walk away and not have your credit ruined. My credit will be shot to peices but what is the price of your children's safety and wellbeing compared to money...priceless!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by graphicsgal
Unfortunatley we are upside down so have no equity in the house and will probably be walking away from it. Our safety has also been affected by us staying in our house due to our neighbor that we have a pending lawsuit against. I have a 6 and 10 year old who cannot even play in their backyard due to their safety. I have no family here to stay with so the decision to move back is very easy. My Dad is 83 and not in the greatest of health. Depending how long you have been out of the country you will not be able to get housing from the government or any financial assistance for 6 months. So you are actually in a easier situation at least you can walk away and not have your credit ruined. My credit will be shot to peices but what is the price of your children's safety and wellbeing compared to money...priceless!
best of luck to you, you certainly are in a terrible situation, i hope it all gets better soon
Old Mar 29th 2011, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

This is similar to our situation and we ended up leaving the place unsold, it's going through now for a sstupidly low price leaving us bankrupt. Now, I haven't had a definitive answer but have been told that US and UK credit agencies don't liaise with each other so while your US credit may be ruined your UK credit won't be. I have been told the opposite too once but the former seems more common.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sos1664
I have just returned and there are two priorities; where to work and where to live. Nothing happens quickly in the UK, they are so bogged down with red tape that I am surprised anything gets done at all. When I lived in Toronto, I could settle there and find a job in the area. In the UK, in my field at least, the jobs are scattered all over the country so I would recommend that you move close to a major centre where you have a fighting chance of finding a job. As mentioned by another poster, they will probably ask for six months rent in advance so you may need to sell your house first. Then rent in the UK for a while, then look for a job.

I would also recommend that you transfer your banking to HSBC and then you can open an HSBC account in the UK. Otherwise you may have problems on this front.

It may pay to try and sell your house, even if you take a slight drop. On the positive side, the pound is low and you will get a good exchange rate. I know, the whole thing is a nightmare but you will get there eventually. Good luck.

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 29th 2011 at 1:49 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My goodness what a horrible situation, I hope you can get the move over and done with. Stay safe.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:06 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I think you are in a very fortunate position having a house to sell, why not wait until it sells? One of the reasons we are trapped here is we have no house to sell and therefore would have no equity to take back to help.
I hope that you are not entitled to any 'benefits' or help with housing as i would be very disappointed in the uk system
So if they were in a financial dilemma with no money because there house overseas was not sold, you would be dissapointed if the UK government gave them some, even minimal help?

If so, why?
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
So if they were in a financial dilemma with no money because there house overseas was not sold, you would be dissapointed if the UK government gave them some, even minimal help?

If so, why?
No i would not be dissapointed, but i may be reading their post wrong, but i am reading it that they have a house to sell in aus to fund thier return(so peresumably they are expecting some equity on the house, so,well wait until it sells), however they want assistance as they want to be back by Sept for schools to start (am sure the children will survive starting school a little later).

I think it would even be fairer if they have to get home by Sept to perhaps even get a loan from the govt of sorts (no idea if this is poss), and then pay it back when thier house sells.