Where should we live?

Old Jul 4th 2020, 6:56 am
Just Joined

bedazzler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where should we live?

After 14 years in the States (Los Angeles, to be specific), it might be time for a new adventure.

We've had an abysmal few months, with our family business evaporating due to the shutdown, having three bored, very stressed-out kids stuck at home and failing miserably at 'distance learning' and recently, some very scary violence and rioting in our home town.
We've been told that schools are unlikely to resume in the fall so perhaps now is a good time to give life in Blighty a try once more.

We've only ever lived in London before (pre-children). All three of my kids were born in the States so aside from holidays to the UK, they don't have any experience of living there.

With our need for great state schools (older kids are 7 and 10) I have no idea which areas to look at! Our dream would be a very picturesque town or village that has lovely scenery and nature but also some life to it - after London and LA I don't think we could go fully rural, but we're definitely up for something quieter than what we're used to.
The town/village would need to be within an hour or so to London as my husband would probably commute a couple of times a week.
I have family in SW London so again, within an hour's drive or so would be great. Someone suggested Farnham, which looks lovely, but scant on rental properties.

I've looked at places like Tonbridge Wells but I've seen lots of people saying TW and a host of other places I looked at are overrun with chavs. That is something we definitely want to avoid... safe, pretty and welcoming are the keywords. Our kids definitely need to decompress, they've had a tough time with all of it this year.

Would love any and all suggestions! Budget is the lesser concern as even the pricier places in Kent/Surrey etc are much less expensive than our mortgage payment in LA!

Thanks so much in advance x

Last edited by bedazzler; Jul 4th 2020 at 7:08 am.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 7:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we live?

Have a look at the Reading/Wokingham area. Lovely towns and villages, some of the best schools in the country (often in the ‘top 10 places to live’ lists for that reason), and great transport links. 23-26 mins on the fast train to Paddington, and will also be on Crossrail for fast connections to other parts of London. Definitely safe (we rarely lock our doors) and pretty. 20 mins to Heathrow and minutes from the M4/M3, so easy for reaching South West London. Takes about 25 mins to drive in to central London at a weekend.

I’d also look at the Amersham area, again great schools but a grammar school system so depends on how you feel about that. And good trains to Marylebone, plus on the end of the tube line. The Chilterns are a beautiful area, you wouldn’t go far wrong with anywhere around there.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 4th 2020 at 7:07 am.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 7:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And just another thought - depending on when your 10 year old turns 11 and what school year s/he would be in now, you may not have much time to move back if you want to get him/her in to an oversubscribed state school. You’ll need to be in catchment by 31st October of his/her Year 6, as that is when the deadline for secondary school applications is. After that you’d be treated as a late application and s/he would be unlikely to get in to your first choice of school if it’s a popular one.

You’re probably aware of that already, or your child may be past that deadline anyway, but just thought I’d mention it in case.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 4th 2020 at 7:48 am.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

bedazzler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And just another thought - depending on when your 10 year old turns 11 and what school year s/he would be in now, you may not have much time to move back if you want to get him/her in to an oversubscribed state school. You’ll need to be in catchment by 31st October of his/her Year 6, as that is when the deadline for secondary school applications is. After that you’d be treated as a late application and s/he would be unlikely to get in to your first choice of school if it’s a popular one.

You’re probably aware of that already, or your child may be past that deadline anyway, but just thought I’d mention it in case.
Thank you for this! My eldest turns 11 next March so I think he's going into year 5 in the UK (he would be entering 5th grade in the US). So many things to consider!
Old Jul 4th 2020, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

mymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nice

Mainly jumping on your thread to watch it as we’re looking at similar but for a move next summer. I would love for us to live in Brighton but husband is more keen for a rural life. We’re looking at sussex in general, places near to Horsham or even as far as Guildford. I think the key is where your husband is working in London because an hour on the train is fine if you don’t have to cross town as well
Old Jul 4th 2020, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Try the Guildford and surrounding area.....
Old Jul 5th 2020, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

How about Windsor? It is about 30 minutes from London, but is a small town and even from the middle of town you can walk into stunning countryside in minutes.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:37 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have a look at the Reading/Wokingham area. Lovely towns and villages, some of the best schools in the country (often in the ‘top 10 places to live’ lists for that reason), and great transport links. 23-26 mins on the fast train to Paddington, and will also be on Crossrail for fast connections to other parts of London. Definitely safe (we rarely lock our doors) and pretty. 20 mins to Heathrow and minutes from the M4/M3, so easy for reaching South West London. Takes about 25 mins to drive in to central London at a weekend.

I’d also look at the Amersham area, again great schools but a grammar school system so depends on how you feel about that. And good trains to Marylebone, plus on the end of the tube line. The Chilterns are a beautiful area, you wouldn’t go far wrong with anywhere around there.

HTH, good luck.
All excellent advice