Reload this Page >

Where to ship belongings to?

Where to ship belongings to?

Old May 29th 2018, 7:26 am
Just Joined

alexandert90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to ship belongings to?

Hi,

I live in Japan and I'm moving to Glasgow in September. (I'm a UK citizen)
I will stay at a hotel/hostel for a couple of weeks until I find a more permanent place.

My question is about my belongings.
Since I won't have an address to send my things to, where should I ship them to?

I've read about poste restante. Does that work for multiple large boxes or is it only for letters and stuff?
Has anyone had experience with it before?

What other options do I have? Is there storage I can rent online where I can ship my stuff to and go pick it up when it arrives?

I have thought about sending my boxes to the hotel that I will stay at, but that would mean I would have to make sure they arrive within two weeks, which will cost almost double the shipping.
I'm also not sure if hotels would even allow storage of 5 or 6 large boxes.

I'm on a budget so moving companies are out of the question, they ask for ridiculous amounts of money that's too much for my budget.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 29th 2018, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to ship belongings to?

A shipping company will take care of you - but you will have to pay storage. "Poste restante" will not work for this.
Old May 29th 2018, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

All the main shipping companies offer storage facilities especially in the larger cities.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Luizarios is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried a storage place? I used to have a mail box (aka virtual address) @ £20 per month from a local stagorage unit that I could ship things to

Last edited by Luizarios; Jul 5th 2018 at 3:45 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 3:40 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered the fact that you will travel faster than your boxes? Your possessions will probably still be in transit when you find yourself a place to live.