Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where to live? Job offer in Plymouth

Where to live? Job offer in Plymouth

Old Mar 18th 2016, 10:55 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to live? Job offer in Plymouth

OK, so I have a job offer in Sheffield and another now in Plymouth.

The Plymouth job is the better offer, but absolutely no idea about the area, where to live and work for DH.

Was looking at Exeter as may give him better chance of work - he is in IT Service Delivery, is it commutable? Best areas?

I currently have a 50 - 75 min commute here in Auckland and is traffic dependent, so not too worried about it.

Any thoughts? Thank you
Old Mar 18th 2016, 11:32 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live? Job offer in Plymouth

Plymouth and Exeter are only an hour's drive apart, and a similar distance by train, so anywhere between the two would be commutable for both cities.

Best areas depends on what you are looking for. We are talking about some very gorgeous country villages, sometimes with prices to match, but also reasonably priced family housing, particularly in the suburbs of Plymouth.

I'm not able to give much advice, since I'm living in the north of the county, but I have some contacts in the area, and my brother recently moved to one of the swankier villages between Plymouth and Tavistock.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 6:11 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Editha, all information helpful
Old Mar 19th 2016, 6:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

My friend lives in Ivybridge just outside of Plymouth off the A 38. It's a really lovely wee town with good road and rail links (the latter will be a shock to the system after the 'joys' of Auckland ' s excellent transport infrastructure! ). Loads of other nice villages between Plymouth and Exeter.

Seems to be lots to do around and about. I'd definitely be up for heading there if I could. Obviously your OH needs to be able to find a job which may be the sticking point. That's the problem for us when we thought of Devon.

I wish you all the best whichever you choose.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 3:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Exeter is commutable to Plymouth, but it's about 45 mins drive away. You might find he can find work in Plymouth too. Then you could just live outside Plymouth (I'd avoid the city itself personally, it's an awful place IMO) and save you such a long commute. You could live over the other side of Plymouth Sound and commute by boat - lots do.

Lots of gorgeous areas around there and reasonably cheap too (probably not as cheap as Sheffield though!).

Best of luck.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:12 am
wish I wasn't here!

Thank you for the information, really helpful. I hadn't thought of living to the west of Plymouth, but would as you say depend on DH's job. Otherwise I have been looking at Ivybridge and other villages between the two, and it does look so lovely.

Hard to know where to base yourself when you don't know the area, but not to worry, all part of the adventure
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Its a tough one. I think Plymouth with the Exeter connection is a logical choice. Plenty of nice places to live. On the other hand plenty of nice places to live outside of Sheffield, and I suspect the Northern choice will be cheaper overall, housing, rent etc..I'd probably still choose Plymouth. I was looking in this area in the last year anticipating a job offer which did not pan out. I liked what I saw re villages.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 6:06 am
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Its a tough one. I think Plymouth with the Exeter connection is a logical choice. Plenty of nice places to live. On the other hand plenty of nice places to live outside of Sheffield, and I suspect the Northern choice will be cheaper overall, housing, rent etc..I'd probably still choose Plymouth. I was looking in this area in the last year anticipating a job offer which did not pan out. I liked what I saw re villages.
Thanks vikngsail, your views are greatly appreciated. I think although cost is obviously an important factor, the slightly more expensive cost of plymouth and the potential lifestyle of that area are worth considering. Also when you think i am currently paying 1375gbp/month in rent in Auckland, its looking pretty good. Will keep updating as we move. Am getting excited!
Old May 19th 2016, 6:58 am
wish I wasn't here!

Just thought i would update how we are doing...

3 days until we leave NZ for Plymouth and 2 days until DDs leave for a 2 month tiki tour then home

Time has flown and we have been busy...

We have sold all our white goods, dining table, patio table and car and managed to negotiate pick up for tomorrow, so gave done well. Packers in tomorrow. We have alo managed to rent a house in Plymouth and pick up the keys on Thursday next week. Start work on 31st and have orientation programme too.

My social calendar is filling up and i cannot believe how busy i will be! Excited but tired.
Old May 19th 2016, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Just thought i would update how we are doing...

3 days until we leave NZ for Plymouth and 2 days until DDs leave for a 2 month tiki tour then home

Time has flown and we have been busy...

We have sold all our white goods, dining table, patio table and car and managed to negotiate pick up for tomorrow, so gave done well. Packers in tomorrow. We have alo managed to rent a house in Plymouth and pick up the keys on Thursday next week. Start work on 31st and have orientation programme too.

My social calendar is filling up and i cannot believe how busy i will be! Excited but tired.

Would be interesting to know how Plymouth really is. Never lived there, but there seems to be some really nice areas and always had a look now and then on property websites, street view etc. I wonder how the area around Hartley is? Seems to be some nice properties, it's green, hilly and looks quiet enough but still close to the centre.
Old May 19th 2016, 10:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Would be interesting to know how Plymouth really is. Never lived there, but there seems to be some really nice areas and always had a look now and then on property websites, street view etc. I wonder how the area around Hartley is? Seems to be some nice properties, it's green, hilly and looks quiet enough but still close to the centre.
Plymouth itself is a dump IMO, but lots of lovely areas around. I prefer the Cornwall side over the water, the Devon side is a bit more run down and built up (although that does improve the further away from Plymouth you get).

Congrats Sparkleydiva on your move, hope it goes well! Do pop over on the ferry and visit Cawsand/Kingsand, a gorgeous place and somewhere I spend a lot of time.
Old May 19th 2016, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Plymouth itself is a dump IMO, but lots of lovely areas around. I prefer the Cornwall side over the water, the Devon side is a bit more run down and built up (although that does improve the further away from Plymouth you get).

Congrats Sparkleydiva on your move, hope it goes well! Do pop over on the ferry and visit Cawsand/Kingsand, a gorgeous place and somewhere I spend a lot of time.

Heard similar from people. I don't understand why it's run down then, as you'd think it would have all the key ingredients to be a nice city. I suppose the less people you have the less mess you get, but I do sometimes wonder why so many larger seaside towns look so run down in the UK.

It's been a while since I lived in the UK, but for me one of the worst examples is Dover, after I recently took Ferry from there.
Old May 19th 2016, 12:31 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I can't comment on what Plymouth is like to live in, but as a frequent visitor, I don't think it is run down. I like the big shopping mall in the centre and the area down by the port is quite swanky.
Old May 20th 2016, 9:21 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I can't comment on what Plymouth is like to live in, but as a frequent visitor, I don't think it is run down. I like the big shopping mall in the centre and the area down by the port is quite swanky.
I would be interested in your impressions of Plymouth. The Little Lion is interested in the marine engineering/science courses at Plymouth Uni in a couple of years. I don't know the town well, although we will be visiting this summer.
Old May 20th 2016, 9:25 am
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I would be interested in your impressions of Plymouth. The Little Lion is interested in the marine engineering/science courses at Plymouth Uni in a couple of years. I don't know the town well, although we will be visiting this summer.
I pwill let you know in due course, i know liitle bout plymouth just now but as i am taking up a lecturing position at the university i may be bettered informed shortly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.