Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where is "Home" for you in your heart

Where is "Home" for you in your heart

Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is "Home" for you in your heart

Originally Posted by ranbysue
Hi Sarah

Are you the lady who has moved this summer to the region of the Bay of Islands? We have to make a decision this week as to whether or not to proceed with the app which will cost approx £1000 all in. We have dithered all summer with it but are now faced with the decision.

We are very concerned from comments on this site as to the salary that my husband would receive of $37000nzd. I would of course hopefully work but this would have to fit in with school hours and so would only be part time. We would probably not sell our UK house just in case.

What do you think?

Suze
I am not sure what you do but I know in Aus, school hour jobs don't happen...

I am thinking of night shifts next year or temp / casual work.. Unfortunately with the latter there are no work rights with thanks to Mr J Howard. I think that this is the same now to part time workers on less than 20hrs
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where is "Home" for you in your heart

Originally Posted by arkon
For me its the north coast of Cornwall, Grew up there and loved it. Anyone want to swap houses from there?
Having spent every summer of the first 12 years of my life in the same house in Porthcothan, I can agree that Cornwall does it for me.

But Cornwall is such a magic place - I would say 70% per cent of the people who visit it would love to live there, which is impossible!! No jobs, and if it were developed enough to support us all, it would lose its magic. That's the paradox.

Cape Town and South Africa also holds a VERY special place in my heart, having lived there for 3.5 years.

This is a great topic and actually cuts to the heart of what it is we are all looking for when we move around the globe, or partly anyway. That desire to find a new home for our hearts. I am currently living in Ireland and although it has a lot going for it, after 14 years I am still unable to think of it as home. The UK is my 'proper home' but I am married to an Irishman, for whom the UK is definetly NOT home! My hubby always wanted to come back to Ireland (we met in South Africa) so we gave it a try, but that feeling has worn itself out now, and we plan to move to Canada!! For us it's a question of finding a new place together. However, I am fully prepared to accept that Canada may not feel like home either, and that I may just be destined to wander the planet for the rest of my days.

I kind of envy these people who never move away from their villages/whatever and have such a strong sense of belonging (even though that would drive me crazy, personally!) They have a peace I may never find.

SQ