Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where do I start! oz to London!

Wikiposts

Where do I start! oz to London!

Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Scrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really nice
Default Where do I start! oz to London!

well the title isn't quite right, cos i do have an idea of where to start, having been reading the advice from people who have done this before me, but......i still need help.
I need to go home, i've known it since the day i got here, and now maybe i have the chance to do it. I have some leads to try and find a job, i still have stuff like a bank account back home, and i have a wonderful friend who will give me a roof over my head until i get myself sorted out, maybe we will end up sharing somewhere together,which would be so much fun
In the meantime I am starting to think about things like how do I find a shipper, I don't want idiots like the ones i used before.
But its scary, isnt it, no matter how long you have wanted to go home, to actually take that step is terrifying! to suddenly realise, like a bolt of lightning, that you can do this, and now might be the time to do it.....no husband, no kids, ties to australia, complete freedom, suddenly its frightening......but i'll regret it if i don't at least try to do it.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I start! oz to London!

Hi I moved back the UK 10 years ago.I was only telling someone this yesterday,but when I made the decision to return(I also had aussie kids and had separated from their aussie Dad)it just felt so right for me.I did'nt worry about anything and just focused on the positives.Sorry can't help with shipping companies but I'm sure someone will be able to recommend a good one.Atleast you have no accomo worries when you arrive back which is a huge plus is'nt it?You'll be fine,and go with your feelings.If you feel stressed just accept that you are,and go with the flow!All the best and hope it all works out for you!
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You have a place to stay & a bank account...awesome start
Two big worries sorted!

Re shipping companies, try sending pm's to those who have recently returned/are about to return.

Karma sent, it takes guts to move to Aus & all the same courage to move back....hope it goes well for you
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scrundlebunny
well the title isn't quite right, cos i do have an idea of where to start, having been reading the advice from people who have done this before me, but......i still need help.
I need to go home, i've known it since the day i got here, and now maybe i have the chance to do it. I have some leads to try and find a job, i still have stuff like a bank account back home, and i have a wonderful friend who will give me a roof over my head until i get myself sorted out, maybe we will end up sharing somewhere together,which would be so much fun
In the meantime I am starting to think about things like how do I find a shipper, I don't want idiots like the ones i used before.
But its scary, isnt it, no matter how long you have wanted to go home, to actually take that step is terrifying! to suddenly realise, like a bolt of lightning, that you can do this, and now might be the time to do it.....no husband, no kids, ties to australia, complete freedom, suddenly its frightening......but i'll regret it if i don't at least try to do it.
Sorry I can't help with the practicalities, but I just wanted to say well done on making the decision and best of luck with the move.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I need to go home, i've known it since the day i got here, and now maybe i have the chance to do it.
Make sure your passport is valid, also if you are not an Australian citizen, do take the precaution of obtaining a resident return visa if eligible for one. Based on your previous posts, have you decided not to become an Australian citizen?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Scrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Make sure your passport is valid, also if you are not an Australian citizen, do take the precaution of obtaining a resident return visa if eligible for one. Based on your previous posts, have you decided not to become an Australian citizen?
Got about 3 years left on my pr visa, but i have a valid uk passport still.
i might look into the oz citizenship thing, but it could take too long if i have to wait ages or a ceremony date.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Got about 3 years left on my pr visa, but i have a valid uk passport still.
i might look into the oz citizenship thing, but it could take too long if i have to wait ages or a ceremony date.
"Might look into it" suggests you don't really want to become a citizen.

If you choose not to become a citizen, then read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...Visa-Australia

Just be aware that thousands have abandoned their resident status, and many later on regretted doing to. Of course, too late by then to get it back.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
"Might look into it" suggests you don't really want to become a citizen.

If you choose not to become a citizen, then read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...Visa-Australia

Just be aware that thousands have abandoned their resident status, and many later on regretted doing to. Of course, too late by then to get it back.
got to say i don't really have much interest in doing it, but having learnt that you can never predict where live will take you i guess I ought to do it before i go