Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

When to register for self-assessment

When to register for self-assessment

Old Jan 6th 2024, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Patienceisavirtue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to register for self-assessment

Hi, I'm trying to understand when to register as sole trader/for self-assessment if I returned to the UK in June 2023 (after living overseas for 13 years). If I register for self-assessment now how will HMRC understand it's only for the tax year from 2023-2024 and not for 2022-2023? On the HMRC website, they appear to instantly assume I'm registering for self-assessment for 2022-2023. I could wait until April but I'd like to register as a sole trader now. I'd appreciate any advice you can give.
Old Jan 7th 2024, 8:27 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to register for self-assessment

Originally Posted by Patienceisavirtue
Hi, I'm trying to understand when to register as sole trader/for self-assessment if I returned to the UK in June 2023 (after living overseas for 13 years). If I register for self-assessment now how will HMRC understand it's only for the tax year from 2023-2024 and not for 2022-2023? On the HMRC website, they appear to instantly assume I'm registering for self-assessment for 2022-2023. I could wait until April but I'd like to register as a sole trader now. I'd appreciate any advice you can give.
I'd say just wait until the deadline for online filing for 2022-2023 has passed. I can understand you wanting to tick off a task, but it's really not urgent.

Edited to add: That's January 24, less than 3 weeks away. Be patient. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist it).

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 7th 2024 at 8:29 am.
Old Jan 7th 2024, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'd say just wait until the deadline for online filing for 2022-2023 has passed. I can understand you wanting to tick off a task, but it's really not urgent.

Edited to add: That's January 24, less than 3 weeks away. Be patient. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist it).
Thanks very much for your reply. Great, I didn't realise it was Jan 24 and not April. I mainly wanted to register my sole trader business name for admin and accounting purposes. But yes, I'll be patient
Old Jan 8th 2024, 1:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patienceisavirtue
Thanks very much for your reply. Great, I didn't realise it was Jan 24 and not April. I mainly wanted to register my sole trader business name for admin and accounting purposes. But yes, I'll be patient
Just carry on with your accounts etc as if you were registered, and use the business name you plan to use - it's not like a Ltd company where you have to use a name that's unique.
Old Jan 12th 2024, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice.