Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

When did home sickness kick in?

When did home sickness kick in?

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

david28078 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When did home sickness kick in?

I have to say in my 13 years in the US I have not had a hard time from anyone - well only one guy and I chinned him.

The Yanks despite the rep Bush has gotten the country are great and do anything to help anyone....

.....I still want to go home to Devon I miss it.

BTW My daughter lives in Oz (in the outback) and is getting to the stage of having had enough of the knuckle draggers
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:53 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maka paka
Knuckle dragging is what the neanderthals done before they turned into real humans,their ape like structure meant that their overlong arms would scrape along the ground.
It is a term used to describe someone of low intelligence and near pre human mentality.

A fine example of these species can be observed every two weeks during Scottish soccer season at a place called Ibrox park home of Glasgow Rangers football club or Scotlands shame as they are now known.
It's no place for a lady believe me so be cautious if approaching this area with these beings present.
Thanks for that....I know what "knuckle-dragging" is, and I guessed that's what he meant.............. but it's actaully spelled "kuckle....."
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Thanks for that....I know what "knuckle-dragging" is, and I guessed that's what he meant.............. but it's actaully spelled "kuckle....."
You din't see nuffink, OK?
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:10 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
You din't see nuffink, OK?
That's right.....try to make me look a fool!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:28 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelica666
Hello

My family are currently in the process of emigrating to sydney Australia, and sure I'm going to experiance Homesickness, How long had you been away before it started?, What did you miss most?

Regards

Angelica X
Felt 'peoplesick' since day one, been here 13 months now!!! Dont miss anything about the UK and a trip back there in June proved that, but do miss family and close friends.
Love Australia but for me being here away from loved ones is a heavy price to pay
C x
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

I have this battle of loving where I live and having no desire to move back - I only miss UK TV and the London music scene yet I miss my friends/family terribly.
I think that probably describes perfectly how most people who have emigrated from Britain feel actually. I certainly applies to me (well not so much the TV or music scene bit, but friends, and especially family yes definately)
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There's an excellent article in the Wiki about stages of adjustment and culture shock which helps to explain some parts of homesickness. Although its in the Candian section its just as apt for other countries -
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Culture_Shock-Canada
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:09 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=islandergirl;6642910]Yeah the really cruel thing about homesickness is that it gets worse as time goes by and the reality of all you have given up sinks in.

The first year or two you are pretty busy trying trying trying the whole time to make a new life, find a job, buy a house, fill it with stuff, try and connect with people to try and replace and fill your (on the surface nice but empty inside) life. You don't tend to think or analyse too much IMO.

spot on for me!!! i have always felt slightly homesick, but this week, OMG!! dont think its helped by the fact that i am off to a funeral today , it is a couple i have truly connected with here and who have been so kind to us , he was a scottish guy, been here alot of years and his wife and aussie, who has truly empathized with me due to the fact she lived in edinburgh for 15 years and could to relate to how i feel and also has the best sense of humour ever, tragically he died suddenly through the week and all i can think is OMG I DONT WANT TO DIE HERE!!!, please god let me go home!!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

beatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to all

QUOTE]I keep myself busy but I find my 'people sickness' cruelly invades my dreams so I wake up feeling upset.[/QUOTE]

i have that!! I wake up and have been dreaming, having had a people sickness dream!! The emotions feel so real, I woke up the other day thinking, what's the point of having parents, I can't see them!

I have been here 7 years, the homesickness doesn't go away, it ebbs and flows. Worse at first, I think you get used to it. If I had known how bad it would be, I sometimes think, I would have rethunk my move, but then I wouldn't have met my husband or have a wonderful baby.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:44 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beatle
QUOTE]I keep myself busy but I find my 'people sickness' cruelly invades my dreams so I wake up feeling upset.
i have that!! I wake up and have been dreaming, having had a people sickness dream!! The emotions feel so real, I woke up the other day thinking, what's the point of having parents, I can't see them!

I have been here 7 years, the homesickness doesn't go away, it ebbs and flows. Worse at first, I think you get used to it. If I had known how bad it would be, I sometimes think, I would have rethunk my move, but then I wouldn't have met my husband or have a wonderful baby.[/QUOTE]

My life is so much better here, no doubt if finances allowed it could have been better in the UK.

But health wise I cant believe how much healthier I am and the climate suits me - I have always loved hot countries and adapted accordingly.

But I guess the sacrafice is putting up with the people sickness. I know if I moved back there I would not be happy, loving people isn't enough, even if I have realised I love them more when I am far away.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 8 years, the people sickness never goes away. In fact I think over time it actually worsens as the reality of missing nephews and nieces being born, weddings, grandparents' 65th anniversary, yearly family party and so on hits.

I think as you get older you instinctually place far more value on these relationships anyway (something one may not have considered when leaving in one's "youth") and it does leave a gaping hole in your life. Thankfully for my children they have my ex-husband's side of the family here (which ironically is why I am stuck here, if I had no ties I could have gone home).
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:57 am
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

Back in UK now but did spend 5 years in Oz. I first felt homesick after 2 years which co-incided with having my first child and moving to the burbs!! Prior to that had been renting in Cottesloe and only had to worry about me and my husband. We would often fly back to the UK and spent much of our time hanging out down the beach. Then suddenly living in the burbs with a baby I began to really miss home. Our long days spent snorkelling etc soon stopped as with a young baby it's not much fun for them with mad fly invasions and risk of sunstroke. Even the garden became a hazard as there were redbacks in it! I felt really housebound. My husband is Aussie so it took alot of persuading (or moaning from me) but we managed to get back to UK. Loving it here. I have 2 children now and they love the family life, the millions of things we can do here and we can spend whole day down the beach or at parks without having to worry about the sun or critters!! Recently we spent a day at Watergate Bay in Cornwall and I can truly say it was better than any of Perths beaches. Even though I'm glad I experienced Oz I wish we had only spent 2-3 years there and not 5. We were in a dilemma for about 2 years of whether to move back, should have done it much sooner. Good luck to everyone returning. The UK is great!