When to book flights?

Old Nov 14th 2022, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute
Question When to book flights?

We are in New Zealand and planning to return home in March/April 2023, however we are not sure when to book our flights home. Ideally sooner rather than later given the cost and being able to get flights for around the time we want to leave NZ.
Our house has been up for sale for a few weeks now and still no bites unfortunately.
My feeling is just to bite the bullet and lock in a date and then we can organise international movers etc. The OH is more cautious and thinks we should make sure we sell the house first. I agree with him that we can't leave NZ until we've sold the house but worry about the availability and cost of flights if we leave it too late.
We are wanting to visit Adelaide first and then stopover in Singapore on the way back as we need a holiday after the last few years.
I'm thinking that we'll need flexi-flights if we book now.
What did others do? Any advice? Thanks.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 1:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to book flights?

There's no reason to hang around just to complete the sale of your home.

When I left the UK it took eight months to finally sell my home in London. It should have sold in 5-6 weeks due to very strong demand in that area, but the estate agent lined up sales for me with individuals (two, one after another) who found getting a mortgage very challenging, but even though I was living in the US I was able to fire my estate agent and hire another agent who I had previously interviewed. I had already arranged a solicitor to complete the sale for me.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There's no reason to hang around just to complete the sale of your home.

When I left the UK it took eight months to finally sell my home in London. It should have sold in 5-6 weeks due to very strong demand in that area, but the estate agent lined up sales for me with individuals (two, one after another) who found getting a mortgage very challenging, but even though I was living in the US I was able to fire my estate agent and hire another agent who I had previously interviewed. I had already arranged a solicitor to complete the sale for me.
I'm concerned about tax implications with HMRC if we sell after we relocate to the UK. Also we don't have much money saved up (despite our best efforts) to fully fund our return.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair
We are in New Zealand and planning to return home in March/April 2023, however we are not sure when to book our flights home. Ideally sooner rather than later given the cost and being able to get flights for around the time we want to leave NZ.
Our house has been up for sale for a few weeks now and still no bites unfortunately.
My feeling is just to bite the bullet and lock in a date and then we can organise international movers etc. The OH is more cautious and thinks we should make sure we sell the house first. I agree with him that we can't leave NZ until we've sold the house but worry about the availability and cost of flights if we leave it too late.
We are wanting to visit Adelaide first and then stopover in Singapore on the way back as we need a holiday after the last few years.
When is the end of the school year in NZ? Because here it seems houses sell quicker before the new school year starts especially if your house is in a "good school" area . I'm guessing the summer holidays are close to starting, right?
Old Nov 14th 2022, 2:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the flight prices and keep an eye on them. If you see a good deal buy it, but get it flexible so you can change the date. Some airlines have reasonable prices on a sort-of semi-flexible fare, so that you can change the date but not cancel.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter arrives in England today (her flight is in the air). Her house sale in California has not closed yet, should do by the end of the month. I checked with our UK tax advisor and she will have no HMRC tax implications unless she had not lived in it for 9 months before she sold it as it is her primary home.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 9:22 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Our daughter arrives in England today (her flight is in the air). Her house sale in California has not closed yet, should do by the end of the month. I checked with our UK tax advisor and she will have no HMRC tax implications unless she had not lived in it for 9 months before she sold it as it is her primary home.

Happy Reunion

Old Nov 14th 2022, 9:23 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Look at the flight prices and keep an eye on them. If you see a good deal buy it, but get it flexible so you can change the date. Some airlines have reasonable prices on a sort-of semi-flexible fare, so that you can change the date but not cancel.

Second this. Flexibility would give you more choices, and choices are good.

I can't see flight prices going down any time soon, tbh.
Old Nov 14th 2022, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

If it was me I would book the flights if they are going to save you a lot of money and the availability is your worry, what we did when we decided to leave Australia was to sell our home which was in the market for quite a few months (downturn in the market yet again when we always come to sell lol) when we did sell we had missed the window for Uni and college for our sons so we rented a home in Aus and we booked our flights way in advance of
our departure, we had an excellent deal with the flights and stayed in HongKong for a while and the home (UK) is your window if return a bit more flexible? Good luck
Old Dec 27th 2022, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry that I haven't got back to this thread. Appreciate everyone's input, thanks so much.
We have bitten the bullet and booked our flights home but have gone with flexible flights as suggested. It feels good to have got that done.
We have a conditional offer on the house, they have to sell their house first etc.,etc. The housing market is extremely slooooooooow!!!
Hoping things pick up in the new year but who knows. Fingers crossed.
Old Dec 27th 2022, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that I haven't got back to this thread. Appreciate everyone's input, thanks so much.
We have bitten the bullet and booked our flights home but have gone with flexible flights as suggested. It feels good to have got that done.
We have a conditional offer on the house, they have to sell their house first etc.,etc. The housing market is extremely slooooooooow!!!
Hoping things pick up in the new year but who knows. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the update, sounds like things are moving along nicely. The housing market is definitely very slow. Our daughter was fortunate a few weeks ago to have an offer accepted on a house where the family is moving to Australia late January. It has taken a lot of badgering of the solicitors to get them to move “fast” and complete in under 4 months. (She has sold her house in LA so there is no chain at all). January 18th she should get the keys, they have exchanged contracts and are all set. The family leaves for Australia the day after and the family has 2 young children so all the best to them.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Thanks for the update, sounds like things are moving along nicely. The housing market is definitely very slow. Our daughter was fortunate a few weeks ago to have an offer accepted on a house where the family is moving to Australia late January. It has taken a lot of badgering of the solicitors to get them to move “fast” and complete in under 4 months. (She has sold her house in LA so there is no chain at all). January 18th she should get the keys, they have exchanged contracts and are all set. The family leaves for Australia the day after and the family has 2 young children so all the best to them.
Hope all goes well for your daughter, Durham lad. The whole house selling/buying business is extremely stressful and frustrating. Everything stops in NZ over Christmas and January, so feeling a bit meh! First Open Home of the year on Sunday, will be interesting to see if anyone comes out to play
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hope all goes well for your daughter, Durham lad. The whole house selling/buying business is extremely stressful and frustrating. Everything stops in NZ over Christmas and January, so feeling a bit meh! First Open Home of the year on Sunday, will be interesting to see if anyone comes out to play
Best of luck on your house sale and your upcoming “open house”
Old Jan 6th 2023, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the home open (we had quite a few of those in Aus) January can make you feel like that anyway but try and keep busy and catch up on any last min things to help with your move.