Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Maidstone?

What's wrong with Maidstone?

Old May 29th 2015, 1:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's wrong with Maidstone?

Looking about the UK in a vague and non-specific sort of way with half an eye to the future, and running into obscene property prices in many places. But Maidstone seems to have an abundance of relatively cheap housing going. For a place so close to London, that just seems wrong. What's the matter with the place?
Old May 29th 2015, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Maidstone?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Looking about the UK in a vague and non-specific sort of way with half an eye to the future, and running into obscene property prices in many places. But Maidstone seems to have an abundance of relatively cheap housing going. For a place so close to London, that just seems wrong. What's the matter with the place?
Used to live in Kent and Maidstone always seemed a bit depressing to be honest with you.

Here also a link that might be interesting:

http://www.may2015.com/featured/medw...kips-new-base/

Last edited by Moses2013; May 29th 2015 at 1:48 pm.
Old May 29th 2015, 4:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Used to live in Kent and Maidstone always seemed a bit depressing to be honest with you.

Here also a link that might be interesting:

Medway: The biggest place you've never heard of is Ukip's new base | May2015: 2015 General Election Guide
Now there would be irony, if I ended up living in UKIP HQ. Certainly explains the property value slump

Seriously though, is it that bad?
Old May 29th 2015, 4:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not bad at all. The town is quite pleasant and the surrounding countryside, for walking and cycling, is fabulous. Plenty of good pubs in the nearby villages.
Old May 29th 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
It's not bad at all. The town is quite pleasant and the surrounding countryside, for walking and cycling, is fabulous. Plenty of good pubs in the nearby villages.
So why haven't the developers gobbled it up? Is it in the flood plain or something?

Anyway, it's on the list of possibles now.
Old May 29th 2015, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Lion in Winter - one of my favorite movies I was and still not sure I can buy a place when I move back to UK so thanks for posting this.. Who knows?
Old May 29th 2015, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Now there would be irony, if I ended up living in UKIP HQ. Certainly explains the property value slump

Seriously though, is it that bad?
I don't know if it's bad, but it just seemed like a town with no character. To me it looked a bit dodgy and the town just wasn't appealing, with your usual pound shops etc. I'm sure there are nicer places on the outskirts and countryside, but just talking about the town itself. I suppose it just depends what you want and for people wanting a town close to London and more affordable housing, it could be an option. Canterbury just seems and feels much nicer, but then again quite a bit further away from London.
Old May 29th 2015, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So why haven't the developers gobbled it up? Is it in the flood plain or something?

Anyway, it's on the list of possibles now.
What other options are on the list and is it because you want to be close to London?
Old May 29th 2015, 6:50 pm

What other options are on the list and is it because you want to be close to London?
I haven't really got a list yet, and yes, affordability is an issue. I've been living in the States for a long time so I'm a bit out of touch with some aspects of UK day to day living, although I do spend time in the UK every year.

In many ways I would like to be close to London, the city where I gew up, but it's not a deal breaker. I do need to be near some decent public transport though.
Old May 29th 2015, 6:52 pm

I don't know if it's bad, but it just seemed like a town with no character. To me it looked a bit dodgy and the town just wasn't appealing, with your usual pound shops etc. I'm sure there are nicer places on the outskirts and countryside, but just talking about the town itself. I suppose it just depends what you want and for people wanting a town close to London and more affordable housing, it could be an option. Canterbury just seems and feels much nicer, but then again quite a bit further away from London.
I've been living in the Midwest - Slough or Milton Keynes would have character compared to where I am.

I will check out Canterbury for pricing.
Old May 29th 2015, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood
Lion in Winter - one of my favorite movies I was and still not sure I can buy a place when I move back to UK so thanks for posting this.. Who knows?
Property prices in the UK are steep - although you can get a very decent caravan in Clacton on Sea for a modest sum
Old May 29th 2015, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I haven't really got a list yet, and yes, affordability is an issue. I've been living in the States for a long time so I'm a bit out of touch with some aspects of UK day to day living, although I do spend time in the UK every year.

In many ways I would like to be close to London, the city where I gew up, but it's not a deal breaker. I do need to be near some decent public transport though.
I mentioned it in other thread, but a big issue is the current exchange rate.
We're in Ireland and don't plan to go back to UK, but if we had to move to England, we'd lose so much money now + higher house prices.
Example Dollar to Pounds
$100K = roughly £65K
Dollar to Euro
$100K = roughly €91K

Euro to Pounds
€100K = roughly £72K

Last edited by Moses2013; May 29th 2015 at 7:22 pm.
Old May 29th 2015, 8:37 pm

I mentioned it in other thread, but a big issue is the current exchange rate.
We're in Ireland and don't plan to go back to UK, but if we had to move to England, we'd lose so much money now + higher house prices.
Example Dollar to Pounds
$100K = roughly £65K
Dollar to Euro
$100K = roughly €91K

Euro to Pounds
€100K = roughly £72K
Tell me about it.

Not going quite yet though - not enough dollars/pounds/euros to do so.
Old May 30th 2015, 7:53 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been living in the Midwest - Slough or Milton Keynes would have character compared to where I am.

I will check out Canterbury for pricing.
I spent years idly looking, before arbitrarily deciding to live in Norfolk and buying here. I always assumed Kent would be out of reach, but many places in Kent are surprisingly reasonable. Partly because train times to London can be long. (This doesn't really apply to Maidstone though.)
Old May 30th 2015, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If it is too posh, try Margate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.