Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What are you NOT looking forward to back in the UK?

What are you NOT looking forward to back in the UK?

Old May 6th 2008, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Megami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to all
Default What are you NOT looking forward to back in the UK?

So, as the title says ...

- Conversations along the lines of "so you're from Australia! Why would you want to come here? I'd love to move to Australia. I was just watching on the TV the other day ..."
-Chavs/Neds (I know there are bogans here - I live in Canberra afterall - but still not looking forward to Chavs)
- The litter
- The weird reactions we get when people find out my husband in is the Army. We get some strange comments here, but in the UK more than once when they found out my husband was in the Army back in Australia he was asked 'so, do you want a fight?' Bizarre.
- Being asked if we have been to Ramsay Street, Summer Bay, knew Steve Irwin ...
- Being taken for Canadians (no offense to Canadians, but the explaining was a pain). I think this happened because our accents were not as 'Strine' as people expected of Australians, but obviously not British or South African ...
-"Wow, Australia must be great. Why would you want to live here. I was just watching this program the other day..."
Old May 6th 2008, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: What are you NOT looking forward to back in the UK?

Not much really, just the general chit chat about 'why do you want to come back to this dump'
Otherwise, can't wait.
Old May 6th 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

The price of petrol.
Old May 7th 2008, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

January to March
Old May 7th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

you could always go for a holiday to Australia then
Old May 7th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tillysmum
you could always go for a holiday to Australia then
Old May 7th 2008, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of train and tube fares.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:01 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

My answer to the "What did you come back to this dump for?" will be a one worder "Family". I mean, it's not really my reason, but they can't exactly argue with it can they?

I'm not looking forward to Jan - March either.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:06 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by TraceyW
My answer to the "What did you come back to this dump for?" will be a one worder "Family". I mean, it's not really my reason, but they can't exactly argue with it can they?

I'm not looking forward to Jan - March either.
Why, whats wrong with Jan - March? Do you mean the weather?
Old May 7th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Why, whats wrong with Jan - March? Do you mean the weather?
Yes the weather and long nights. It's awful. November and December are bearable only because it's the run up to Xmas.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mattmc
Yes the weather and long nights. It's awful. November and December are bearable only because it's the run up to Xmas.
Ah, well i remember not letting the cold weather get to me. My house was red hot all the time lol...I don't mind Jan, Feb or April as i have loads of friends and family birthdays so time just goes so quick and plenty of parties to go to.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Ah, well i remember not letting the cold weather get to me. My house was red hot all the time lol...I don't mind Jan, Feb or April as i have loads of friends and family birthdays so time just goes so quick and plenty of parties to go to.
Ah yes I remember those....parties.

(I don't count barbies as parties )
Old May 9th 2008, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I grew up in the UK and hated it. Left when I was 21, went to Hong Kong, got married and returned for a couple of years, and left again. I've been in SA (yes, the gangsters paradise) for nearly 30 years now.

My wife moved back to the UK a couple of years ago. She comes over for a few months now and again, and and she's persuaded me to visit the UK for a fortnight. I'm going next Tuesday, and I'm really not looking forward to it at all, but it will be great to see her again.

This is pretty ironic. There are a lot of people in SA who would love to leave if they could, and I have a British passport, but I don't want to. We'll see. I'll post something when I get back.
Old May 9th 2008, 5:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartynK
Well, I grew up in the UK and hated it. Left when I was 21, went to Hong Kong, got married and returned for a couple of years, and left again. I've been in SA (yes, the gangsters paradise) for nearly 30 years now.

My wife moved back to the UK a couple of years ago. She comes over for a few months now and again, and and she's persuaded me to visit the UK for a fortnight. I'm going next Tuesday, and I'm really not looking forward to it at all, but it will be great to see her again.

This is pretty ironic. There are a lot of people in SA who would love to leave if they could, and I have a British passport, but I don't want to. We'll see. I'll post something when I get back.
My neighbours are from South Africa and said they would love to go back there to live, but daren't because of the trouble. So they are hanging out here in the land of Nod!!!
Old May 9th 2008, 8:35 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

When and if I ever get back to the UK, I will hope I never have to go to a doctors surgery as the wait used to drive me bonkers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.