Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What are you looking forward to back home?

Wikiposts

What are you looking forward to back home?

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice
Default Re: What are you looking forward to back home?

Originally Posted by brookel
Thank you for your replies,

Sallysimmons, good luck with your new adventure in moving back to the UK, I hope it all goes smoothly for you...it's interesting to see that although you (& OP's) have enjoyed Canada there is that draw to go "home" whether it be after a couple of months, years or decades.

Somerset Girl, I don't really know how we'll go on missing our families, at the moment we aren't letting ourselves think about that too much, particulary as we're taking our girls so far away from their grandparents. It must have been very difficult for you being so far away from your parents and family for so long, so much will have changed here in the UK in the last 30 years it really will be an adventure returning I'm sure.
It's good to hear that you're still a Brit at heart

Cumbrian Lass, we're planning on moving to Vancouver.
We were initially thinking of Kits as that's where we've stayed before but some OP's on a different thread suggested we look a bit further out to get a bit more for our money...(renting not buying) so we've been looking at Port Moody too. Good luck with selling your house, fingers crossed it happens soon for you...

We're still waiting to do our meds so pretty sure we won't be going this year anyway, everything just takes so long with CIC.

We'll be renting our house out in the UK when we go, think I might post the details on here when it's time!

I'm so pleased I've discovered this forum, I think that when we eventually get to Canada I'll be visiting BE daily to get my British fix ;-)
yeah you have to give it a go or you will be always wondering !!!!!
My experiance here in Canada.....many go back,and you find the odd few that say they never would go back,but after a few years they do too.But some stay forever,its a matter of what you miss or you just blend in here. Its a different way of life and its not for everyone.But i say "give it a good go",we are very lucky to have had the experiance and wouldnt swap it for any thing......apart from going home now lol
wish you the best of luck
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammypeeps
ProperEnglishbanter...Sarcasm..Jokes.......general piss taking!!
.......Less commercials on TV.....Less dangerous drivers - another thing I had not thought I would ever say!!!...Cheap holidays in Europe
I think the understanding and appreciation of the word "sarcasm" and the manner and real intention of the way it is used all have different interpretations outside of the UK. It seems that this is especially the case with the Americans who, in my experience with them here in the UK, almost invariably take offence when it is pisstakingly directed towards them.

TV commercial breaks here in the UK are now set to become longer, unfortunately, but it's all about finances is it not, and times are quite hard for the commercial broadcasting organisations now as they are for everyone pretty much.

The European Union is now forcing up the insurance cover for all women drivers thus raising them to the level of those paid by men, all in the same of full equality between the genders under European law, with no discrimination permissable, in spite of the fact that young men in particular are more likely to be involved in serious road accidents.

It can actually be a lot cheaper to take holiday breaks in Continental Europe, and more especially in the Mediterranean area of Southern Europe, than it is to do the same here in the UK. Two weeks in Benidorm (Spain) or in the Greek islands can be considerably cheaper than staying for the same period of time in Cornwall or the Scottish Highlands or wherever. Two weeks in London would be a whole lot more expensive, big time, than two weeks in the gorgeous city of Prague (Czech Republic).

Deals on air flights can mean that it would be a lot cheaper to fly from Edinburgh to Malaga (Spain) than it would to fly from Edinburgh down to London Heathrow.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:46 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I think the understanding and appreciation of the word "sarcasm" and the manner and real intention of the way it is used all have different interpretations outside of the UK. It seems that this is especially the case with the Americans who, in my experience with them here in the UK, almost invariably take offence when it is pisstakingly directed towards them.
This is definitely true - but Americans do irony very well. It's just a different kind of irony. Think of Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm. Brilliant but just different. They really don't laugh at themselves or their country though, the way Brits do.

When we first got here, I kept offending people by making jokes about America. People invariably respond by making fun of England and expecting you to get angry. Which of course, you don't. That annoys them even more.

I've been here long enough now to know never to make a joke against America or Americans. It's 'the greatest country in the world' after all.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 5:51 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
This is definitely true - but Americans do irony very well. It's just a different kind of irony. Think of Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm. Brilliant but just different. They really don't laugh at themselves or their country though, the way Brits do.

When we first got here, I kept offending people by making jokes about America. People invariably respond by making fun of England and expecting you to get angry. Which of course, you don't. That annoys them even more.

I've been here long enough now to know never to make a joke against America or Americans. It's 'the greatest country in the world' after all.
No, no, no that is Australia.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
America ... It's 'the greatest country in the world' after all.
Really? Is that really true? Wow! I never knew that was so, and it really is true that you learn something new every day, isn't it? I must tell my mates that when I get down the pub later this evening, as they all think it's China.

Would you call that sarcasm? Would your American friends appreciate it?