Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What are you looking forward to back home?

Wikiposts

What are you looking forward to back home?

Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:44 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are you looking forward to back home?

For those returning to the UK, or planning to... what (apart from family) are you looking forward to seeing, doing, having, etc. when you get home?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you looking forward to back home?

Seeing Mum for a lunch or coffee, or Sunday dinner each week instead of her living with us for two or more months each year while she comes to visit. She won't be able to do all that traveling in a few years either.
Looking after her when she gets to an age where she can't get about, same as she did for her Mom.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Sammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of light

The two things I am looking forward to most, which are actually the two things I moved to get away from, are: STRESS......and a FASTER PACE of life. Had no idea I actually needed that kind of pressure in order to feel a sense of purpose and achievement in my life. I have discovered that I need to be busy.....slow, backward type, insular living is not for me!!

In addition I have but a few things I am looking forward to

Being able to see my friends within hours of deciding to meet up.

Proper english banter! Sarcasm..........Jokes.......general piss taking!!

A quiet drink in a country pub maybe with a ploughmans lunch.

Crazy nights out with girl friends involving copious amounts of drinking and dancing in awfully tacky 80s chain nightclubs - something I never thought I would ever wish to do again!!!

Being able to go to weddings, christenings, birthday parties, bbqs, reunions etc

Days out to Country Shows, looking at tradestands and watching horse/agricultural competitions.

Less commercials on TV

Jumping on the train and going to London for the weekend

Managed countryside with crops, cows, hedgerows, stonewalls and ditches.

Less dangerous drivers - another thing I had not thought I would ever say!!!

Professionalism within my chosen occupation and being able to work outside again!

Cheap holidays in Europe

Hmmm.....food wise: Plain Chocolate McVities Digestives, Robinsons orange and pineapple squash, any cadburys chocolate I can get my hands on, fish and chips from the chip shop and of course curry!!! General choice in the supermarket and choice of supermarkets - and shops in general for that matter.

On reviewing this it really begs the question - what was I thinking when I chose to emmigrate to Nova Scotia?. And the answer is - three years ago I didnt think I did love all of the above!!! I now have a seriously new found appreciation for England that I would never have developed without moving over here, so a truly 'awesome' experience but looking forward to getting home!!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:23 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sammypeeps
The two things I am looking forward to most, which are actually the two things I moved to get away from, are: STRESS......and a FASTER PACE of life. Had no idea I actually needed that kind of pressure in order to feel a sense of purpose and achievement in my life. I have discovered that I need to be busy.....slow, backward type, insular living is not for me!!

Crazy nights out with girl friends involving copious amounts of drinking and dancing in awfully tacky 80s chain nightclubs - something I never thought I would ever wish to do again!!!

Being able to go to weddings, christenings, birthday parties, bbqs, reunions etc

Days out to Country Shows, looking at tradestands and watching horse/agricultural competitions.

Less commercials on TV

Professionalism within my chosen occupation and being able to work outside again!

Cheap holidays in Europe

Hmmm.....food wise: Plain Chocolate McVities Digestives, Robinsons orange and pineapple squash, any cadburys chocolate I can get my hands on, fish and chips from the chip shop and of course curry!!! General choice in the supermarket and choice of supermarkets - and shops in general for that matter.

On reviewing this it really begs the question - what was I thinking when I chose to emmigrate to Nova Scotia?. And the answer is - three years ago I didnt think I did love all of the above!!! I now have a seriously new found appreciation for England that I would never have developed without moving over here, so a truly 'awesome' experience but looking forward to getting home!!
Did I write that???? You have read my thoughts are you psychic??? I miss Vimto too, going to the butchers and the green grocers for veg or the market! I agree with the tacky nights out listening and acting the goat to 80's music, i'm so sick of country music in Alberta. I don't mind a bit of it but seriously its everywhere and i can't do the two step to save my life! I am so lucking forward to going home next month, it will feel like holiday!! I also agree about Europe, i really miss the odd weekend in Barcelona, holidays in Turkey and Greece. I really miss Asda curries too!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatcat65
Did I write that???? You have read my thoughts are you psychic??? !
Read my mind too.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:39 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Less commercials on TV

Cheap holidays in Europe

Me too...except I like milk chocolate digestives

I think it's true that you have to leave to appreciate it in all its British Countryside glory.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

So many things - a lot already mentioned like family and friends , British countryside, the National Trust, british pubs, garden centers as well as so much more. Also the food that I grew up with - including - but not limited to - fish and chips, dark chocolate hob-nobs, bournville chocolate, real sunday roast dinners and real fresh cream cakes - there is nothing like those here in the US - and I do miss them so
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:15 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much the same as everyone else mentioned but my top priorities are:

- Having friends and family over to stay and cooking for everyone.
- Traveling around the UK on weekend breaks. I have seen very little of the country and want to correct that.
- Being able to drive to either the Lakes or the Dales and go for a walk, just me and the sheep.
- Exploring Europe.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:10 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

MENTAL stimulation, believe me peeps life ain't all sunshine, beaches and free BBQ's on said beaches!!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Schbang is an unknown quantity at this point

Finding a job so that I can relax, stop worrying and just enjoy being home.... and walking without sweating - I've had 5 yrs in the tropics...

Last edited by Schbang; Feb 15th 2011 at 11:29 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Sammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of light

Not my mother in law!!! Apparantly after not having much to say at the weekend when told we would be returning. She has just called my husband to tell him what a disappointment he is and how could he possibly want to leave our beautiful house and access to the ski-hill, that he has never stuck with anything (we have been married 6 years) and that we will be returning to a life in a hole given the current state of England. Plus what on earth will she tell her friends. Still in shock, how pathetic and selfish.

I know this is not related to the thread - but needed to rant!!!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Having a laugh with friends and I mean the helpless, tears rolling down your face kind of laughter that I haven't experienced since leaving the UK
Listening to Radio 2 or 4 in the car- I hate the radio here
Shopping- knowing where to get particular items and not wasting up to days at a time driving to different malls trying to find something specific.
Being able to see my Mum more frequently and as Mummy in the foothills said being there for her as she gets older.
Going to proper pubs with low ceilings and log fires
Having babysitters
My kids getting to know their family again
Having real conversations and not having to go through the 'How's it goin' -good thanks' script everyday

I could go on ad nauseam but off the top of my head these are the things I'm most looking forward to
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:05 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
Having a laugh with friends and I mean the helpless, tears rolling down your face kind of laughter that I haven't experienced since leaving the UKListening to Radio 2 or 4 in the car- I hate the radio here
Shopping- knowing where to get particular items and not wasting up to days at a time driving to different malls trying to find something specific.
Being able to see my Mum more frequently and as Mummy in the foothills said being there for her as she gets older.
Going to proper pubs with low ceilings and log fires
Having babysitters
My kids getting to know their family again
Having real conversations and not having to go through the 'How's it goin' -good thanks' script everyday

I could go on ad nauseam but off the top of my head these are the things I'm most looking forward to
I was just saying this to somebody the other day, that I haven't once laughed like this since I came back here last year, not once.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:47 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What are you looking forward to back home?

It will be a couple of years before I move back to the UK - but I heard an interview this lunchtime on a talk radio show (for the New York Metro area) with a chap who runs Wilkin's (Tiptree) Jams from Essex.

It was really interesting - they were recently awarded a Warrant from HM The Queen and the radio host was asking about the process of how it was awarded; she visited the Tiptree farms last Summer when they were harvesting the 'Little Scarlet' strawberries.

I was also interested to hear that they don't use migrant workers on their farms - families turn up every year with their caravans (I don't think they were gypsies, just ordinary families who enjoy being in the country and picking fruit, plus earning a bit of money. I think it's done via the Caravan Club or similar). Some of them have long service awards which they get after 21 years! I know that many, many years ago families would leave London and harvest the hops in Kent, a kind of working holiday and I guess this continues in a similar vein at the fruit farm.

Anyway....I was thinking of how I'd love to go strawberry-picking in the Summertime in England, haven't done it for at least a dozen years (we took our kids as there are no fruit farms in Singapore, where we lived at the time!). There is nothing like English strawberries! (The ones we get in New Jersey are from California and monster-sized and tasteless).

BTW I have some Tiptree Gooseberry jam in my fridge, I bought it on my last trip back to England a few months ago.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:51 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Not my mother in law!!! Apparantly after not having much to say at the weekend when told we would be returning. She has just called my husband to tell him what a disappointment he is and how could he possibly want to leave our beautiful house and access to the ski-hill, that he has never stuck with anything (we have been married 6 years) and that we will be returning to a life in a hole given the current state of England. Plus what on earth will she tell her friends. Still in shock, how pathetic and selfish.

I know this is not related to the thread - but needed to rant!!!
Your mother isn't Mrs Bucket is she????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.