What would you do?

Old May 1st 2009, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of
Default What would you do?

I'm looking for opinions on my current situation...I have been back and fore, and cannot make a decision...

I came to the US in 2005, 2006 and 2007 to work at summer camp in CT, and it was there in 05 that I met my now husband. We got engaged Feb 08 and then saved hard all last year, did the K1 visa process, and I arrived in Virginia in January 09, we married in February 09.

Everything has been incredible...considering we had never lived together before everything has been really smooth. I have dealt with some intense homesickness, but other than that everything is hunkydory.

However, I have been offered a job back up in CT over the summer. Hubby and I could REALLY do with the money (we are living pay check to pay check and no savings as such, except my money in case of an emergency flight back to the UK).

I know that this is a job I could do well, I would enjoy and the money would be great.

However, it IS our first year of marriage and I would be away for approx 9-10 weeks, with one maybe 2 visit home to VA over the summer.

I'm just interested in what other people might do in this situation?

Thanks
Old May 1st 2009, 2:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do?

Take the job. Having no money in a downturn causes marital stress too.

But... what does your husband think?
Old May 1st 2009, 2:57 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Many people who post here, myself included, have had long distance relationships for months, if not years. Depends how much you want to do the job, how much you value the extra money, and how your husband feels about the separation. It can be done - if you both want to make it work, it can work.
Old May 1st 2009, 2:59 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshgirl1
I'm looking for opinions on my current situation...I have been back and fore, and cannot make a decision...

I came to the US in 2005, 2006 and 2007 to work at summer camp in CT, and it was there in 05 that I met my now husband. We got engaged Feb 08 and then saved hard all last year, did the K1 visa process, and I arrived in Virginia in January 09, we married in February 09.

Everything has been incredible...considering we had never lived together before everything has been really smooth. I have dealt with some intense homesickness, but other than that everything is hunkydory.

However, I have been offered a job back up in CT over the summer. Hubby and I could REALLY do with the money (we are living pay check to pay check and no savings as such, except my money in case of an emergency flight back to the UK).

I know that this is a job I could do well, I would enjoy and the money would be great.

However, it IS our first year of marriage and I would be away for approx 9-10 weeks, with one maybe 2 visit home to VA over the summer.

Thanks

I've been there, twice. Once when my Wife got the opportunity to work on a movie she really wanted to do and once when she worked 6 weeks (IIRC) at a theatre in Michigan over the Summer. The professional experience was a great addition to her resume, we needed the money and as we didn't have kids yet, it was possible. It wouldn't be so easy now. The seperation was difficult at times, but I'm glad she did it while she could. I think it was worth it.
Old May 1st 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

Thanks both for the replies...husband is being very supportive and says that if it will make me happy then he will be happy for me...I guess I feel a little selfish for going away so soon (well 4 months) after we married, after being parted by the ocean for so long.

At least we would be in the same time zone!
Old May 1st 2009, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

A few months after we were married my husband went to work in Holland for 12 months. We managed to see each other for a weekend every few weeks. It was difficult but the upside was we managed to save all his salary which pretty much put us on our feet financially. Looking back it also opened many doors...
Old May 1st 2009, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I say take the job, you already know you can do the long distance relationship thing and hey keep in mind absence makes the heart (and other things) grow fonder.
Old May 1st 2009, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I say take the job, you already know you can do the long distance relationship thing and hey keep in mind absence makes the heart (and other things) grow fonder.
totally agree
Old May 1st 2009, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

sassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nice

You mentioned you'd have maybe two visits home to VA during the summer... would it be possible for hubby to come visit you too. Even with one visit from him the separation would be reduced to perhaps 3 weeks x 3.
I just know that when we were separated by work (and 3 -4,000 miles) that a month was too long.

Still in this economy... while money can't make you happy it sure helps!
Old May 1st 2009, 4:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassy-cat
You mentioned you'd have maybe two visits home to VA during the summer... would it be possible for hubby to come visit you too. Even with one visit from him the separation would be reduced to perhaps 3 weeks x 3.
I just know that when we were separated by work (and 3 -4,000 miles) that a month was too long.

Still in this economy... while money can't make you happy it sure helps!
The long-distance calls will be a lot less expensive between CT and VA vs overseas.
Old May 1st 2009, 4:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

More importantly ... What would Jesus do?
Old May 1st 2009, 4:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I say go for it. We did a lot of commuting our first year over here and it keeps things exciting!
Plenty of years of dull to come, just ask!
Old May 1st 2009, 5:51 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on how good you are with money. My wife and I are terrible, we live paycheck to paycheck mainly because we just blow it on crap so no matter how much I earn we'd live paycheck to paycheck If you're more likely to use the money wisely then go for it. If on the other hand you'll blow it on something you don't need and end up in the same financial situation you're in now then I wouldn't bother.
Old May 1st 2009, 6:02 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshgirl1

Thanks
My husband goes away alot and has done since we have been married, to be honest it's nice, keeps things exciting!
I would go, in the grand scheme of things 9-10 weeks is nothing.
Old May 1st 2009, 9:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could get 9 weeks of peace and quiet ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.