What would you do?

Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do?

Originally Posted by Dan725
I'd just be honest and tell them you can't afford it, and therefore you won't be able to go. If she wants you there bad enough, she'll change the destination (or help you pay), if not, they won't, so you won't go, but hey-ho its just a meal and one night; you can still be friends afterwards.
I don't think EM said she couldn't afford it....just prefers not to splash out lots of dosh on this particular occasion...especially as her husband doesn't drink and they were not consulted about the change of venue.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
OH MY GOD !!!

I have huge big warning bells going off all over the place.

(BTW, I'm with you on the splitting bills thing; I hate it when people work out their share to the nth degree - unless their is a significant difference in consumption.)
At one time I always went along with split the bill equal amounts. But after a while got tired of paying a share of a bill which included drinks and desert when I don't drink nor eat desert. The clincher came when one of the girls couldn't decide on which entree to have and ordered two and then took the leftovers home and remarked that would take care of her for the next three days. And they wanted to share that bill equally. Bugger off!

Call you friend and be honest with her. She's a friend and will understand or she really isn't that good a friend and won't. If she doesn't want to mess up her bf's plans, tell her that you will love to have them stop by your house for desert and after dinner drinks that evening, say around 10 and look forward to seeing them then.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
This is much better than Corrie or Eastenders
After the boyfriend changing there plans at the last minuet and bringing his Mother along, knowing full well the sod will not likely put his hand in his pocket I would explode
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:21 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
At one time I always went along with split the bill equal amounts. But after a while got tired of paying a share of a bill which included drinks and desert when I don't drink nor eat desert. The clincher came when one of the girls couldn't decide on which entree to have and ordered two and then took the leftovers home and remarked that would take care of her for the next three days. And they wanted to share that bill equally. Bugger off!
I'd have shoved the dinner over them!!!

Me too but as I never have dessert or a starter etc I can't believe how people are so selfish and don't take note of that and expect me to split it evenly
So now I do the American thing and ask for individual bill - I love America no probs doing that, haven't got the guts to do it in the UK though
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: What would you do?

Originally Posted by Ray
Your husband should come down with a terrible 3 day disease the day before the event ... you of course can't leave him ..

Ha ha.....he's the bloody driver!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:26 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

Call you friend and be honest with her. She's a friend and will understand or she really isn't that good a friend and won't. If she doesn't want to mess up her bf's plans, tell her that you will love to have them stop by your house for desert and after dinner drinks that evening, say around 10 and look forward to seeing them then.
Actually, my reference to warning bells referred to this guy as a potential husband of Englishmum's friend. He's a tightwad and a freeloader. Recipe for disaster if you ask me...
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: What would you do?

Now this is an interesting article but it still isn't that much help:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...ebt/P58016.asp

I've left a couple of voicemails with the other Aussie friend. They're moving back to Canberra in the Summer so I don't think they'll want to have an outrageously expensive night out.....but she drinks like a fish and likes her quality plonk....

I wonder if I should just say that we're prepared to pay a max of ??? for the two of us and anything which is above that will have to be paid for by the boyfriend? Do you think that would work? Trying to think what could be deemed as 'reasonable' at a posh place.

I bet Jerseygirl has been there (or her husband on a business meal...)
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Call them and ask if they will fax you the menu or give you an average price per entree.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I bet Jerseygirl has been there (or her husband on a business meal...)

What me? We never eat out...I always cook...from scratch of course.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What me? We never eat out...I always cook...from scratch of course.
Yeah right!..

American scratch, or British scratch? There is a difference..LOL
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

From the replies you have received so far I think it is safe to assume that there may be major problems over this, which I dont think you bargained for. Its a shame, that the circumstances involve your friend but I have to agree with others on here, it appears that three are going to be paid for by yourselves(probably unknown to your friend) and the others but only at the end, when there's no backing out. Maybe its a time for an upset tummy,hubby caught in a snowdrift or a sudden urgent business meeting.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:27 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I wonder if I should just say that we're prepared to pay a max of ??? for the two of us and anything which is above that will have to be paid for by the boyfriend? Do you think that would work? Trying to think what could be deemed as 'reasonable' at a posh place.
This is sooooo wrong.

The way things work here is that the birthday honoree chooses the place, not her boyfriend/mother/personal trainer. If his MOTHER is coming, the bill for all of you should be given to her as the only reason I see for her presence is if she is gifting her son's girlfriend with a dinner out with friends. If one person wishes to decide and impose their taste and wallet on others, then they should PAY for the others as well as the host/hostess.

Your girlfriend should RUN from this guy, if only for the simple fact that he probably has never been responsible for ANY bills in his life.... no rent, no utilities, you name it. Since he doesn't have to pay bills (what with a room at his mother's and at his girlfriend's) of course he's got extra money for things, and yet he doesn't want to be generous?!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think EM said she couldn't afford it....just prefers not to splash out lots of dosh on this particular occasion...especially as her husband doesn't drink and they were not consulted about the change of venue.

Got it in one!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:57 pm

Exclamation Re: What would you do?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
This is sooooo wrong.

Your girlfriend should RUN from this guy, if only for the simple fact that he probably has never been responsible for ANY bills in his life.... no rent, no utilities, you name it. Since he doesn't have to pay bills (what with a room at his mother's and at his girlfriend's) of course he's got extra money for things, and yet he doesn't want to be generous?!

Absolutely. However, she lets her heart rule her head and says "my children need a father". (Their dad is now living in Oz but that's another long story).

About a month after they were dating, they were in bed and he told her that he wants her to have his baby..... I thought 'OMG' and have pointed out to her a few times that if she does she won't be moving back to Oz until the child is 18. She already knows a model in San Francisco who can't move to NYC to work as she is divorced and her ex won't let their daughter move out of State.

Unfortunately the biological clock is ticking......

Her life is one long soap opera LOL!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

Well, she's old enough to be wide awake at her old age!! Plus, she has been divorced twice before. Didn't she have some custody problem with her ex keeping the one kid in Aus or something a while back?

edited: fixed some grammar

Last edited by TouristTrap; Feb 7th 2007 at 8:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.