Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What were your expectations ?

What were your expectations ?

Old May 5th 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What were your expectations ?

Originally Posted by ThomB
Set as a "point 0" any of european capitals and start driving from your point 0, one hour, 2 h, 3, 4, 5 h, you can see castles, historic buildings built in various styles through ages, museums, etc. In australia you can drive for long hours watching the same scenery, finally you reach your destination - any rock or whatsoever, "attraction", you enjoy it for a while, take picures, walk around and see nothing great, and you go back home through the same boring scenery. and historical building in Melbourne? I reccomend to see historical buildings in northern africa or middle east countries and compare.
I miss cheap european flights - within 1-2 hours I could go to any nice destination on Saturday morning and be back on Monday morning, and this was cheaper than in Oz any weekend trip.
I do not see many pubs in melbourne, where do the Aussiess spend their time? I see them stuck in traffic jam at 6-8pm. - I didn't expect it is australian lifestyle, i heard Australia is cheaper, uhmmmmm, where? what is cheaper here? and I heard about low taxes, low cost of living, well paid jobs, where is it all?
That's exactly what they told me about America too
Old May 5th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What were your expectations ?

Originally Posted by grevillia
I think the problem begins when people move to Australia expecting 'The UK in the Sun'. So many people seem to see it that way before they move here, and set themselves up for disappointment, because of course it's not like that at all. Years of diverse immigration have given Aus a cultural identity all of its own, and it's a lot less like the UK now than it was, say, 30 years ago. It's a young country and is still growing and developing, whereas although things are changing in the UK, the differences are far less impactive due to the UK's strong and historic cultural identity.

My top tip to those planning to emigrate is always: STUDY THE MAP OF AUSTRALIA CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO COME HERE. You need to realise that Aus is a long eway from other countries, that the place is huge & distances between places are long. The State of Victoria, one of Aus's smallest, is the size of England + Scotland. That's how big this place is.

Just because they speak English here & watch Midsummer Murders on TV does NOT mean that it's like the UK, it's very different and it certainly isn't for everybody.

I'm somewhat bemused by all these posters who are so keen to take their kids into pubs. Reading this thread, it sounds like quite a big deal & may explain why the UK seems to be getting such a bad reputation for binge-drinking. Pubs are great places for adults (& I miss the UK real ale as much as the next person!), but children need fun, fresh air, exercise, stimulation and education, and the pub simply doesn't provide these. Ask your kids, & I bet they would much prefer a trip to the zoo, aquarium, beach, movies, theme park etc. I've never had any trouble finding family-friendly cafes & restaurants here to feed the kids when we're out, so taking them into pubs isn't really necessary.

Good luck to all of those staying or returning, and may you find the place that makes you and yours happy

G.
I completely disagree there, pubs on weekend days are great for kids, we have the opportunity to go to farms, woodland/hill walking, shopping, berry picking, city park, whatever the time of year or mood allows for and then pop into a towny or country pub/pub garden for lunch or tea. Outdoor and even indoor (in some) play areas .. kids eat for 1.99 etc etc.

Night time drinking no, daytime yes, relaxed, inexpensive and bloody great.